This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

What TV Shows Are You Watching?

Comments

• So. Foster's Home for Imaginary Friends. The show Lauren Faust worked on before MLPFIM. Just watched the Pilot for it, and it was very awesome. The writing was great, the animation and cinematography was fantastic, and I really dig the art style as well.
    I love that show. It's not as good as PPGs or MLP (probably because it doesn't have an acronym) but it was different, and I appreciate that. It was a show that dealt with leaving childhood and entering puberty in a very real way. It's an unsettling time, when you find yourself letting go of the innocence and playful nature of childhood, but don't get to replace it with the responsibilities and maturity of adulthood. Take the Christmas special for example, it is the only one I've seen that actually dealt with the realization of Santa Clause being a myth without making it seem stupid (see the subplot from that Ranken-Bass special with Heat Meiser and Cold Meiser.) The ending is a real cop-out, but Mac's struggles still feel meaningful. Also, "It's 15 blocks to Mac's house, I've got a full bladder and an empty stomach, it's 2:30 in the afternoon and I'm wearing sunglasses."
  • So. Foster's Home for Imaginary Friends. The show Lauren Faust worked on before MLPFIM. Just watched the Pilot for it, and it was very awesome. The writing was great, the animation and cinematography was fantastic, and I really dig the art style as well.
    I love that show. It's not as good as PPGs or MLP (probably because it doesn't have an acronym) but it was different, and I appreciate that. It was a show that dealt with leaving childhood and entering puberty in a very real way. It's an unsettling time, when you find yourself letting go of the innocence and playful nature of childhood, but don't get to replace it with the responsibilities and maturity of adulthood. Take the Christmas special for example, it is the only one I've seen that actually dealt with the realization of Santa Clause being a myth without making it seem stupid (see the subplot from that Ranken-Bass special with Heat Meiser and Cold Meiser Snow Miser.) The ending is a real cop-out, but Mac's struggles still feel meaningful. Also, "It's 15 blocks to Mac's house, I've got a full bladder and an empty stomach, it's 2:30 in the afternoon and I'm wearing sunglasses."
  • This show on CBS right now is really really bad. Two Broke Girls....
  • Dot Com made a John Carter of Mars joke. +63 points for 30 Rock.
  • 2 Broke Girls. Yes, it is a laugh track sitcom.

In its defense Kat Dennings. As well as Kat Dennings eyes, lips, hips, hair, skin, and boobs.
  • Dot Com made a John Carter of Mars joke. +63 points for 30 Rock.
    30 Rock is absolutely amazing.
  • 2 Broke Girls. Yes, it is a laugh track sitcom.

In its defense Kat Dennings. As well as Kat Dennings eyes, lips, hips, hair, skin, and boobs.
    I need to tivo that show is only for her :O
  • Kat Dennings
    She looks like the Heath Ledger version of the Joker.
  • edited September 2011
    Just watched the episode "World Wide Wabbit" of Foster's. That episode resonates so much due to it capturing, pretty much perfectly, the internet meme machine and the schism between old people and the internet. It just becomes even funnier considering the huge success that MLP became.

I think the episode titles alone would make me want to watch Foster's.
    Post edited by chaosof99 on
  • 2 Broke Girls
    This show is AWFUL. I'm disappointed in you.

In other news, New Girl is a fantastic, really funny (no-laugh-track) sitcom. And it's on Fox, so that won't last long.
  • Yeah, the only good things I heard about it are Kat Dennings and that it makes fun of hipsters. But both can be seen in much better ways, with much more payoff and at a fraction of the time.
  • Anyone watching Terra Nova?

I've downloaded, haven't watched yet.
  • How to be a Gentleman is AWFUL. Terrible acting, unoriginal writing, and a laugh track. CBS's sitcoms are stuck in the nineties, I swear.
  • How to be a Gentleman is AWFUL. Terrible acting, unoriginal writing, and a laugh track. CBS's sitcoms are stuck in the nineties, I swear.
    Did you expect anything less from Matt Dillion trying to be funny?
  • Introduced the flatmates to Iron Chef today with Pork Belly Battle. We're probably going to watch the notorious Potato Battle after dinner.
  • Discovered that Archer has a second season (and a third coming out now). Archive binging.
  • edited October 2011
    Watched 10 episodes of 30 Rock season 5 yesterday. 6 Episodes into Archer. I have better things I could be doing, but those require things like an attention span.
    Post edited by Greg on
  • Halfway through Castle season two, I am about 80 percent at picking the perp.
  • If you know the conventions of crime dramas, it's pretty easy to guess the perp in Castle. Which is deliberate, considering it's a love letter to police procedural and mystery novel tropes.
  • Introduced the flatmates to Iron Chef today with Pork Belly Battle. We're probably going to watch the notorious Potato Battle after dinner.
    Yogurt battle was the best though.
  • Rooster + Pig is the best part of Jackie Chan Adventures.
  • edited October 2011
    Amnesia is bullshit, former Buffy boyfriend from the Initiative. Bullshit.

Oh wow, and Shawn from Boy Meets World in the same episode.
    Post edited by Jason on
  • edited October 2011
    How to be a Gentleman is AWFUL. Terrible acting, unoriginal writing, and a laugh track. CBS's sitcoms are stuck in the nineties, I swear.
    Did you expect anything less from Matt Dillion trying to be funny?
    That's Johnny Drama from Entourage. But the other surprise is David Hornsby...why are people from Always Sunny trying to be on these tired, squeaky-clean, cliched as fuck series? The money can't be worth that much.

Edit After Wikipedia: Rhys Darby is in this?! Oh Murray...D:
    Post edited by Nukerjsr on
  • Johnny Drama worked because it was the show. It does not work anywhere else.. And who else from Always Sunny tried to be on a shity sitcom?
  • edited October 2011
    And who else from Always Sunny tried to be on a shity sitcom?
    The Waitress. It's odd, she was in a show that wasn't a typical, dated, laughtrack sitcom, it actually tried to be very modern while being very Friends-like. However, it failed tremendously because the acting was beyond terrible with varying degrees of overacting/underacting, and probably some of the most hateful/conniving/vitriolic characters in history. And she was actually in the worst one couple, the one that thrives on stupid arguments and lust and people thinking that's love.
    Post edited by Nukerjsr on
  • Amnesia is bullshit, former Buffy boyfriend from the Initiative. Bullshit.

Oh wow, and Shawn from Boy Meets World in the same episode.
    Why are you still watching? You sound like you're not enjoying it at all.
  • And who else from Always Sunny tried to be on a shity sitcom?
    The Waitress. It's odd, she was in a show that wasn't a typical, dated, laughtrack sitcom, it actually tried to be very modern while being very Friends-like. However, it failed tremendously because the acting was beyond terrible with varying degrees of overacting/underacting, and probably some of the most hateful/conniving/vitriolic characters in history. And she was actually in the worst one couple, the one that thrives on stupid arguments and lust and people thinking that's love.
    Traffic Light or that other show that was like it last season? Perfect Couples or something like that?
  • And who else from Always Sunny tried to be on a shity sitcom?
    Traffic Light or that other show that was like it last season? Perfect Couples or something like that?
    Perfect Couples. I think it's all on hulu, if you wish to experience the horror. Traffic Light wasn't good, but it wasn't hateful or that unfunny. The guy who played Comeau in the Scott Pilgrim movie was one of the stars, he was fun to watch.
  • My point was they were the exact same show. Each had the established couple, one of the members was asain. The middle couple. And the crazy couple.
  • Rooster + Pig is the best part of Jackie Chan Adventures.
    Those specific episodes are great? Or are you just saying it would be awesome to be able to fly around and shoot lasers out of your face? =P