This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

My Little Pony Friendship Is Magic

Comments

• edited October 2011
    That made me sad.

This cheers me up.
    Ask werewolf Scootaloo tumblr blog.
    Post edited by KapitänTim on
    So its a repeat of Luna eclipsed next week then?
  • Just to state the obvious: Luna hugging Fluttershy has a lot of Elmyra or Pepe Le Pew doing the same to their victims.
    Aha, i was wondering why that scene looked so familiar.
    Similar, but not quite the same. Pepe's victims are squirming and twisting their way out of the grasp, pushing and twisting in an attempt to escape also with the kissing. Here Fluttershy is completely paralyzed.
    Also I don't think Luna has rape on the mind.
    You never know...
  • I really don't understand why they added more young ponies instead of just the CMCs trick-or-treating. I did like Pipsqueak. He seemed cute.

Also can anyone explain the costume of the horse that looked like a viking with a sharking eating him? Is that some sort of geek reference I'm not aware of?
  • I did like Pipsqueak. He seemed cute.
    I would be happy if I never saw Pipsqueak again.
    Is he the cousin Oliver? Scrappy Doo?
    Is he the cousin Oliver? Scrappy Doo?
    Hmm, I can see how he might grate on the nerves with his semi-cockney accent (I always found any British accent grating coming from a child, but with cockney I wish they'd kill anyone who has it) but I found him cute.
  • Everyone I've talked to either thinks Pip is cute or hates him. I didn't mind him in this episode, and I won't mind if he makes background appearances like Snips, Snails, or Twist. I doubt he'll become an important character.
  • Also can anyone explain the costume of the horse that looked like a viking with a sharking eating him? Is that some sort of geek reference I'm not aware of?
    I thought it was a reference to JAWS.
  • Okay I laughed out loud to that one.
  • I think that Pipsqueak was in the episode because episode needed it. It's kinda hard to see any of the CMC taking that part of innocent child. I usually don't like kid characters all that much, but Pipsqueak was more cute than annoying, mainly because he was on the focus only so little time.
  • The most likely reason they didn't use the CMC is because the voice of Apple Bloom/Sweetie Belle is a child actor. Labor laws. If you go see Billy Elliot on Broadway they have a a whole bunch of different kids who play Billy because it would be illegal to have one kid do it every night, or even twice on the same day. You'll notice that on a lot of shows with multiple voice actors that they will often do episodes with part of the cast. Then if a cast member does multiple voices, none of those characters will be speaking in that episode.
  • The most likely reason they didn't use the CMC is because the voice of Apple Bloom/Sweetie Belle is a child actor. Labor laws. If you go see Billy Elliot on Broadway they have a a whole bunch of different kids who play Billy because it would be illegal to have one kid do it every night, or even twice on the same day. You'll notice that on a lot of shows with multiple voice actors that they will often do episodes with part of the cast. Then if a cast member does multiple voices, none of those characters will be speaking in that episode.
    I'm pretty sure that in last season there were multiple episodes in a row with CMC in it, so that doesn't really explain it. I say that it's more likely that story just didn't need CMC.
  • I'm pretty sure that in last season there were multiple episodes in a row with CMC in it, so that doesn't really explain it. I say that it's more likely that story just didn't need CMC.
    It's not about when the episodes aired, but when they did the recording. Maybe they did a whole bunch of episodes at once? Maybe they had two days of recording and the girl was only there one day? Also these people have contracts to do X episodes where X might be less than the total number of episodes in the season. Or you might be right. Or, if you haven't noticed, the next two episodes are CMC-heavy and they want to spread it out.
  • Also can anyone explain the costume of the horse that looked like a viking with a sharking eating him? Is that some sort of geek reference I'm not aware of?
    I thought it was a reference to JAWS.
    I thought so as well, but the pony who had the shark also had a hat that looks to be from medieval times.
  • Come on Ro you don't remember the Vikings in JAWS?
  • edited October 2011
    This may be why people both like and dislike Pip.
    Post edited by Linkigi(Link-ee-jee) on
  • There's a rumor that the next episode of South Park will be "my little brony". I am extremely skeptical. I'm not saying that's not something South Park would do, they totally would. I'm saying that it's Monday, South Park airs Wednesday, and they usually don't have an episode idea until Tuesday night.
  • There's a rumor that the next episode of South Park will be "my little brony". I am extremely skeptical. I'm not saying that's not something South Park would do, they totally would. I'm saying that it's Monday, South Park airs Wednesday, and they usually don't have an episode idea until Tuesday night.
    It's a rumor based on a 'shop. Not happening.
  • Went to a party over the weekend at of the AZN posse's house. They had a bunch of other guests that I didn't know or are just acquaintances with. They are of the anime otaku persuasion.

So I was just chatting with them and brought up MLP: FiM. Pretty much all of those guys groaned. They then start ragging on the show and how much they hate bronies. I then asked, "Well has anyone watched the show?" One person said they watched episode 1 and 2 and didn't like it. The rest of the group used that as their excuse.

I try to bring up valid points of why the show is popular and that it's actually good. They just dismiss me as an overzealous brony. They then go off into their own world talking about anime they liked, which I considered bad except for Madoka. They just seemed like "anime" only type people, so I just shrugged them off as that and probably won't be talking to them as much in the future.

It was a bit weird encountering people like that , but then again I normally only associate with a tight-knit circle of people who share common interests.
    Maybe Next Season. That's how it is whenever they specifically have a fad episode with the recent seasons like the Jersey Shore or Guitar Hero episodes.

I like Pip. Wasn't that crazy about the Luna episode, partially because Luna was so not what I was expecting, but I didn't seem to find her that sympathetic. Sort of a combo between, it looked like at the end of the pilot, people had accepted Luna already. Plus the fact, she didn't know what fun was, and when they got to the ending, it was just like. "Well...that sort of just happened."
  • My friend made this Jack-O-Lantern:

• Wasn't that crazy about the Luna episode, partially because Luna was so not what I was expecting, but I didn't seem to find her that sympathetic. Sort of a combo between, it looked like at the end of the pilot, people had accepted Luna already. Plus the fact, she didn't know what fun was, and when they got to the ending, it was just like. "Well...that sort of just happened."
    An interesting take about the episode from a forum member that doesn't post here as much anymore.
    You know what I really like? How much character development Celestia was given in this episode. A thousand years ago, Luna's behavior (use of the royal 'we', expectation of unconditional love and loyalty from her subjects) was Celestia's, too; Certainly, Celestia was certainly a little better, (as she's not the one who ended up turning into Nightmare Moon), but it was almost certainly a far cry from the down-to-earth, egalitarian ruler we see in "The Grand Galloping Gala" and last week's ep. Think of how a thousand years of solitude in exceptionalism, seeing subjects and then friends come and go, how that must have affected Celestia's outlook.

Also, it's pretty cool that we now know what kind of "Old Ponies Tale" Nightmare Moon was. Seeing Zecora again was rad, too.
    I thought his take on it is interesting and quite possibly correct.
  • Get off my turf pip!

• You know what I really like? How much character development Celestia was given in this episode. A thousand years ago, Luna's behavior (use of the royal 'we', expectation of unconditional love and loyalty from her subjects) was Celestia's, too; Certainly, Celestia was certainly a little better, (as she's not the one who ended up turning into Nightmare Moon), but it was almost certainly a far cry from the down-to-earth, egalitarian ruler we see in "The Grand Galloping Gala" and last week's ep. Think of how a thousand years of solitude in exceptionalism, seeing subjects and then friends come and go, how that must have affected Celestia's outlook.
    That is a really good point to bring up, but my critique sticks with, there's a bit of questionable time between Luna coming back to this episode that makes her attitude feel more awkward. And it was also like, everypony else in the episode was much more interesting with Pinkie and Zecora and even the fillies. Luna's interactions just felt a bit cliche, and you can so tell Tabitha St. German is voicing her with little variation from Rarity's voice.
  • edited October 2011
    IIRC, there was some debate on the chronological order of the first season's episodes. Is it possible that Luna Eclipsed chronologically happens earlier than when it aired? Like, maybe after Fall Weather Friends (being a Halloween analogue)?
    Post edited by Xefas on
  • IIRC, there was some debate on the chronological order of the first season's episodes. Is it possible that Luna Eclipsed chronologically happens earlier than when it aired? Like, maybe after Fall Weather Friends (being a Halloween analogue)?
    It has to happen after the Zecora episode, and after the CMC episode.

It also definitely happens before Season 2 episode 3. How do I know? Because otherwise they would ALL have to write to princess Celestia, not just Twilight.