This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Guns!

Comments

• Do you guys have any suggestions for a cheaper semi-auto rifle? While I would love a mini-14, I can't justify blowing $600-$700 on one. I'd be more in the sub-$300 range.
  • Do you guys have any suggestions for a cheaper semi-auto rifle? While I would love a mini-14, I can't justify blowing $600-$700 on one. I'd be more in the sub-$300 range.
    In a semi auto .223 the Kel-tec SU-16 is as cheap as they come. If you hunt around you might be able to find a SKS for around $200, but that doesn't have a detachable magazine.
    In a semi auto .223 the Kel-tec SU-16 is as cheap as they come. If you hunt around you might be able to find a SKS for around $200, but that doesn't have a detachable magazine.
    Hmm, damn. Maybe I should just look into a nice lever-action instead.
  • Hmm, damn. Maybe I should just look into a nice lever-action instead.
    No, those are fuck all expensive cause they're "cool." What you want is a nice bolt action.
  • Really? Damn, I knew they would be more than a bolt action but I didn't think by that much. I plan on getting a bolt action eventually but I'd really like something I can pop off a few rounds in quick succession with. I'd love one of those old revolver carbines but I'm sure they're fucking expensive.
  • If you're just looking for something to plink with and don't care about stopping power or range, check out a Ruger 10/22. It's a blast to play with at a range, and are usually quite cheap.
  • edited October 2011
    I plan on getting a bolt action eventually but I'd really like something I can pop off a few rounds in quick succession with.
    You might as well get his out of your head, most ranges don't allow rapid fire.

What state do you live in?
    Post edited by George Patches on
  • I plan on getting a bolt action eventually but I'd really like something I can pop off a few rounds in quick succession with.

I live in Michigan and my house is in the woods, so I'd do most of my shooting there. I'm in the Upper peninsula right now which is almost all woods anyway.
  • edited October 2011
    I live in Michigan and my house is in the woods, so I'd do most of my shooting there. I'm in the Upper peninsula right now which is almost all woods anyway.
    If you were anywhere near the DC area I'd offer to help you find a gun. You really need to just find yourself a gun shop and go there. Tell them you want to get your first gun, what would the recommend.
    Post edited by George Patches on
  • If you're just looking for something to plink with and don't care about stopping power or range, check out a Ruger 10/22. It's a blast to play with at a range, and are usually quite cheap.
    That's actually probably the kind of gun I'd be after. I'm not a hunter so I'd really just be plinking and maybe some more serious target shooting later on.
    If you were anywhere near the DC area I'd offer to help you find a gun. You really need to just find yourself a gun shop and go there. Tell them you want to get your first gun, what would the recommend.
    Thanks, but I'm a tad far for that. Other than a couple sporting good stores I think the only real gun shop I know of is in the back room of the party store in my hometown, and I think they're a bit over-priced.
  • No, those are fuck all expensive cause they're "cool." What you want is a nice bolt action.
    I must say, my old marlin was a pretty decent price, and honestly a real joy to shoot.
  • Rumor has it that Ghaddafi was shot in the head with his own pimped out pistol. image
  • Rumor has it that Ghaddafi was shot in the head with his own pimped out pistol.
    Browning Hi-power, not bad.
  • With the magic of friendship, because even robot unicorns can have friends.

But yeah, that danger die had nothing on the (titanium?) bees.
    OMG, I forgot all about that danger patrol.
  • To be fair, that is a pretty sweet pistol.
  • So I'm looking into buying a pistol to take to the range and pop holes in paper. I've got a Ruger 10/22 rifle that I like just fine, but for a pistol I'd like something with a little more kick without having to burn through tons of dollars for a day out shooting. So currently I'm considering a 9mm. I'd prefer an automatic as opposed to a revolver, but that's mostly because I'm far more familiar with automatics.

I'd also rather not burn a huge hole in my wallet. So far I'm considering the Ruger P95. Anyone have any other suggestions, or heard anything bad about that gun? I can't find bad reviews of it.
  • That Ruger 10/22 is looking really nice to me. I think, with a little work its really what I need. Its crazy how much aftermarket shit there is for that thing. I even saw a full-on AR style tactical stock and grip kit, though that seems a bit silly to me. I am thinking of maybe buying a folding stock though. How hard are those to install usually?
  • I've not really done much to mine, I got it with the wood stock, etc. It's a pretty sweet gun as is. From what I hear, though, most of them are pretty much plug and play.
  • I plan on getting a bolt action eventually but I'd really like something I can pop off a few rounds in quick succession with.

I hate ranges with lots of rules beyond basic common sense safety rules and clean up after yourself. Luckily there are literally NONE in Southern Virginia where I live.
  • Tru muthafuckas bump fire lyke a baus.
    Also, if I can't open fire with tracer rounds in the driest part of the summer at my old propane tank (I'm pretty sure it's mostly empty), the rules are too strict.
  • edited October 2011
    Tru muthafuckas bump fire lyke a baus.
    Bump fire = awesome.

EDIT: At least, it's awesome to watch.
    Post edited by TheWhaleShark on
  • Bump fire = awesome.

EDIT: At least, it's awesome to watch.
    You know that cost $12 each time we did that...
  • I finally gots me an ASP style collapsible baton. I know its not a gun, but this is the most relevant thread. It's actually really nice for how much I paid for it. Its just a Taiwanese model I got on Amazon, but it really feels well built and doesn't want to bend at all.
  • I finally gots me an ASP style collapsible baton. I know its not a gun, but this is the most relevant thread. It's actually really nice for how much I paid for it. Its just a Taiwanese model I got on Amazon, but it really feels well built and doesn't want to bend at all.
    Put a firing mechanism in it then you got the most awesome weapon ever.

No wait, attach two such devices together with a chain. GUNBATON NUNCHAKU!

Yes I am mentally 12.
  • edited November 2011
    I finally gots me an ASP style collapsible baton. I know its not a gun, but this is the most relevant thread. It's actually really nice for how much I paid for it. Its just a Taiwanese model I got on Amazon, but it really feels well built and doesn't want to bend at all.
    Put a firing mechanism in it then you got the most awesome weapon ever.

No wait, attach two such devices together with a chain. GUNBATON NUNCHAKU!

Yes I am mentally 12.
    I actually kinda want to buy another longer one, spray-paint the extendable part green, and put a lightsaber handle on it.

Or I could get a really big one, add in a firing mechanism, spraypaint it orangey-red and make a real power pole!
    Post edited by ninjarabbi on
  • So I think I'm narrowing down my choices for the 9mm or so handgun. Since it's mainly going to be used for target shooting (unless the zombie apocalypse comes around), I'm looking at the following:

Walther P22 - Pretty decent little .22lr target pistol. I like the style (it doesn't look like most .22lr pistols out there) and the price.

Ruger P95 - Good 9mm automatic, but it feels a bit "plasticky" to me.

Tokarev Polish TT-33 - Probably the strangest pistol I'm looking at, but the caliber is comparable to 9mm in power and recoin while the gun is pretty robust. I handled a Chinese version of this and really loved the feel, although apparently the Chinese copies are fairly terrible.

Anyone have any other suggestions? I'm looking for <$400 and 9mm or a more interesting .22lr, mostly for target shooting.
  • Used Glock 17. The prolific law enforcement use of this gun means that they are generally a good price used. I can't praise the Glock 17 enough, it's seriously the AK of handguns. I also like a CZ75, but those are not cheap. The Ruger P95 is an excellent firearm, I'd just get over the dislike of "plastic." It's not plastic, it's advanced polymer. It's actually a lot tougher than most aluminum frames. The only advantage to metal frames is really weight in that they are heavy. Heavy means the recoil is easier to control, but it's more fatiguing to carry.

9mm Makarov sounds like a good idea, but it has almost half the energy of 9mm Parabellum. Also, 9mm is the most popular autoloading handgun cartridge in the USA. This means you can get it anywhere, but Makarov may be tricky to find.
  • The only advantage to metal frames is really weight in that they are heavy. Heavy means the recoil is easier to control, but it's more fatiguing to carry.