This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Fail of Your Day

Comments

• edited August 2012
    Your mom's being stupid, Sociology is a perfectly good major.
    Post edited by Linkigi(Link-ee-jee) on
  • Yeah. I mean I don't really know what exactly I'm going to do with it, which is bad but still its not some worthless degree. and I quote "Do you think a sociology degree is going to get you a job? I don't. It's about as useful as a liberal arts degree." And she went on to say how the friends of the rich people she works for all scoffed at it and said there are no jobs and blah blah. God it pisses me off. And if she was going to do this she could have at the beginning of the summer so that if I was actually going to do what she said I wouldn't be throwing a semester away.
  • Sociology is liberal arts. And as a good friend of a number of classicists, philosophers, and historians, I must absolutely defend the ability of liberal arts majors to use those majors to get jobs and contribute to society.
  • Also, implying you can't do an MA/MS in something else and make yourself ultra-well-rounded and employable. I completely scrapped my MD plans; I'm doing an MBA/MS in biology. Gonna hedge fund and open breweries.
  • Not a bad plan, though I've a strong skepticism towards MBAs, mostly because I've never met one that I liked. I've an environmental biologist friend who's planning on doing a stats MS as a backup.
  • Well here at NMU, Sociology is a BA and there is a liberal arts Sociology degree as well for whatever reason (basically the same but easier).
  • Not a bad plan, though I've a strong skepticism towards MBAs, mostly because I've never met one that I liked. I've an environmental biologist friend who's planning on doing a stats MS as a backup.
    IMO, being a biologist and doing a stats MS instead of a bioinformatics MS is a really dumb move. You learn all the stats, and you also learn CS and advanced bio.

• The lady who wrote character story for the dwarf guy in Dragons Age Origins got a BA in psychology.
  • I don't know why you guys like academia so much. Once I have my BA/BS (which is Foreign Languages?) I'm entering the work force.
  • edited August 2012
    It's because we just want to do research forever, and don't want to have to deal with the real world.
    Post edited by Linkigi(Link-ee-jee) on
  • Reality sucks. Academia and research is like a fairy tale of paid sabbaticals, chill coworkers, tenure, and a workplace where showing up in a black metal t-shirt, jeans, and a tweed sportcoat to cover your science-themed sleeve tattooes is not just expected, but welcomed.
  • The best thing about me getting my Radio Production degree is after I do some radio stuff (which is what I want to do anyway) I can then go and teach at a college and do academia stuff about media.
  • I choose a degree based on how employable I'd be. Considering I need to work 30-40 years, it seemed like the best plan.
  • edited August 2012

Post edited by no fun girl on
  • More from the War on Children.
    Is it a competition or something between Texas and Arizona to make me "what the fuck" the most?
  • Apparently there was a shooting near the Empire State Building today. Two dead (the victim and the shooter), and nine people wounded by stray police bullets. The shooter bought his gun legally, but did not have a permit for it in New York. This is why we have strict gun laws in NYC.
  • It sucks knowing your roommate feels miserable and not being able to do anything about it.
  • See, the stray bullet problem is exactly what I was talking about in the gun control thread. Police are good guys, but their bullets still hurt random people.
  • This is why the police need better aim
  • edited August 2012
    This is why the police need better aim
    Seriously. The amount of time police are required to spend at the range per year is less than I spent a month when I was a member of the local range. It's scary to think that I might have better aim than the people paid to protect me.

Post edited by Victor Frost on
  • This is why the police need better aim
    Seriously. The amount of time police are required to spend at the range per year is less than I spent a month when I was a member of the local range. It's scary to think that I might have better aim than the people paid to protect me.

I know, right? I mean, you're not going to catch me advocating banning guns, but for fuck's sake, guys, you've been given a tool that can seriously injure or kill people, why wouldn't you want to be on absolute top form with it just in case you have to use it? It's not an argument for gun control, it's an argument for making sure your cops are bloody competent.
  • edited August 2012
    It's not just the aim. The bullets pass through the criminal, or barely miss and ricochet. Most of the injuries were caused by ricochets, apparently. I mean, if your aim is perfect, that is not a problem, but you still get the fact that the bullets might go through the guy and into another guy.
    Post edited by gomidog on
  • My oven broke yesterday. I was broiling something, and the oven got too hot and is now flashing in a code over and over. I think it messed with one of the sensors, but now it's gonna need repair. I can get through with not having an oven but.../sigh.
  • edited August 2012
    They were close enough to shake hands with him and didn't disarm him? There's fucking two of you!
    Post edited by MATATAT on
  • They obviously follow the Jim West method of policing. Shoot first, shoot later, shoot some more and then when everybody's dead try to ask a question or two.
  • Comcast can't make an installation call until Thursday. Fuck.
  • It's not just the aim. The bullets pass through the criminal, or barely miss and ricochet. Most of the injuries were caused by ricochets, apparently. I mean, if your aim is perfect, that is not a problem, but you still get the fact that the bullets might go through the guy and into another guy.
    That's basic gun handling! One of the golden rules - Know your target and what's behind it. You don't go opening fire on a dude with a street full of bystanders as a backstop.
  • It's not just the aim. The bullets pass through the criminal, or barely miss and ricochet. Most of the injuries were caused by ricochets, apparently. I mean, if your aim is perfect, that is not a problem, but you still get the fact that the bullets might go through the guy and into another guy.
    That's basic gun handling! One of the golden rules - Know your target and what's behind it. You don't go opening fire on a dude with a street full of bystanders as a backstop.
    Exactly! They did say in the article according to a security camera that basically it all happened so fast. But they also fucked up the situation and let a guy pull a gun and were so close to him that they could have just pushed him on his ass and also shot before thinking which is just... just a terrible idea.