This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Booh yah!

Comments

• edited February 2013
    Bad side visibility.
    Terrible rear visibility.
    Cramped console.
    Annoying placement of gauges.
    Edited to indicate specific agreement. Though, I don't think the placement of the gauges are stupid, just the design of the trim around it. There is no reason for them to have that big hood over them.
    Post edited by Victor Frost on
  • edited February 2013
    Company is sending me to Austin, Texas for a few days next week. Flying last minute is VERY expensive.
    Go to Stubbs, get some barbecue. Bring some back for boss, get Promotion.
    Bad side visibility.
    Cramped console.
    Ugly.
    Stupid.
    Pretty much. Don't forget the sluggish input and lack of feedback, and the fact that it's got about as much power as a golf cart.
    Post edited by Churba on
  • There was something off about the placement. If they were straight up in a bad position, it would be better. They felt, like, an inch in the wrong direction, and it was oddly, specifically distracting to me.

It might well have been the trim. It's been many years since I test drove one.
  • I love my Celica. It has decent gas mileage even for being ten years old, has angles that look organic (which I like), has plenty of giddy-up and go, and is everything I love about Toyota in a sports package.

Plus I gave an anal exam to a Prius on the highway today, and it was entertaining.
  • edited February 2013
    There was something off about the placement. If they were straight up in a bad position, it would be better. They felt, like, an inch in the wrong direction, and it was oddly, specifically distracting to me.

It might well have been the trim. It's been many years since I test drove one.
    Nah, it's a combo of both. The gauges are just that little bit off, but it's enhanced by the fucked up dash, not to put too fine a point on it.
    Post edited by Churba on
  • edited February 2013
    Got my Pebble watch. Immediately started working on setting up an IRC bouncer that could send a push notification based on a highlight word, so I won't miss the start of ShackTac missions. It worked!

Post edited by YoshoKatana on
  • Haha oh man, sparked quite the bit of Yaris rage did I?

I'm fairly ill-equipped to defend the merits of a car as I am the poster child for "could give 2 shits what I'm driving" but I have to call bullshit on the visibility complaints. I have the 2-door hatchback and the thing is so tiny it's pretty much all window. As someone who has traveled a lot and rented just about every economy and mid-size car, I can say that Yaris has less of a blind spot than most.

The gauges located in the center of the console just bother the fuck out of some people, but it never affected me. I have had some car people tell me this makes me a bad person. I laugh and say we are just different. Instead of having the gauges behind your steering wheel, the Yaris (hatchback only) has a bonus second glove compartment. I love that, and put it to good use.

I chose to get a Yaris because it was:
    - Dirt cheap
    - Fuel efficient
    - Small, great for having to go into the city
    - Still capable of hauling stuff as a hatchback
    - Had an aux jack (NOT a major decision factor, but it was the only cheapo car in 2006 offering it. Trivial to install one yourself in just about any car.)
  • edited February 2013
    Haha oh man, sparked quite the bit of Yaris rage did I?
    Well, not outta me. I give it the same chance I give any car. I simply don't prefer it, but if it suits your needs, I recommend it. It suits your needs and preferences, so getting one was a smart move for you.

The gauges, though, I don't like. Matter of personal preference, I prefer inline gauges. Not that I won't drive a car with center gauges, but I wouldn't buy one without some other very compelling features. For me, center dash is where you put secondary gauges, if you have them.
    Post edited by Churba on
  • Bad side visibility.
    Cramped console.
    Ugly.
    Stupid.
    I never test drove a Yaris, but these are all the reasons I hated the Pontiac Vibe and the Nissan whatever-the-fuck-it-was-economy-class.
  • edited February 2013
    Haha oh man, sparked quite the bit of Yaris rage did I?
    Well, not outta me. I give it the same chance I give any car. I simply don't prefer it, but if it suits your needs, I recommend it. It suits your needs and preferences, so getting one was a smart move for you.

The gauges, though, I don't like. Matter of personal preference, I prefer inline gauges. Not that I won't drive a car with center gauges, but I wouldn't buy one without some other very compelling features. For me, center dash is where you put secondary gauges, if you have them.
    One thing that I can see bothering people is that the center speedometer actually causes you to misread your speed by about 2-3 mph, due to your viewing angle. You'll be going slower than you thought.

I did not realize this when I bought the car so I just accepted it. It may have given me second thoughts, but since I've already got it, I just accepted it as some stupid mental trick like setting your watch forward 2 minutes. Now maybe I'll be just under the threshold for getting a ticket? Maybe? Oh man this is pretty poor rationalizing but I'm running with it.

Post edited by Matt on
  • One thing that I can see bothering people is that the center speedometer actually causes you to misread your speed by about 2-3 mph, due to your viewing angle. You'll be going slower than you thought.

I did not realize this when I bought the car so I just accepted it. It may have given me second thoughts, but since I've already got it, I just accepted it as some stupid mental trick like setting your watch forward 2 minutes. Now maybe I'll be just under the threshold for getting a ticket? Maybe? Oh man this is pretty poor rationalizing but I'm running with it.
    That's where the fucked up trim comes in. Ideally, center mount gauges are slightly angled, so that there isn't that ambiguity. The Yaris, for some reason, has no angling, as far as I'm aware, or at the least, not enough. And in this country, that's sometimes enough to earn you a speeding ticket - the most common margin for speed limits, according to every cop I've ever known, is about 5 klicks - or 3 mph - and it's entirely discretionary, up to the cop in question.

• I'll bet they have center console instrumentation to streamline manufacturing of right-driver and left-driver vehicles in multiple markets.

If people would just drive on the correct side of the road, this wouldn't be a problem. ;^)
  • Federal tax return arrived in a week. Fuck yeah.
  • Disney College Program applications opened today, so I naturally submitted my application as soon as I could.

They've already accepted my application and I can now move on to the web-based interview!
  • Second snow day!
  • Second snow day!
    Bugger off! I've had drizzle the whole time.

• If people would just drive on the correct side of the road, this wouldn't be a problem. ;^)
    Yes, it would, wouldn't it. When do you think the US is going to catch on and start doing so?
  • edited February 2013
    If people would just drive on the correct side of the road, this wouldn't be a problem. ;^)
    Yes, it would, wouldn't it. When do you think the US is going to catch on and start doing so?
    Post edited by trogdor9 on
  • And what's worse, look at that map, you're all republicans too.
    No we're not. We're communists.
    No we're not. We're communists.
    Jesus it's worse than I thought. Time to nuke the planet and start over.

• I called out a guy I know for being sexist on Twitter, and he immediately deleted his account. I made someone quit Twitter.
  • I made someone quit Twitter.

• Triple Snow Day!
  • edited February 2013
    Today was a day filled with epic booyahs for me.

In my short story class, the class was divided into two groups and we went around reading the 3-4 page short stories that we had each wrote. It was an exercise where, after you read your story out loud, the other people would offer critique and that sort of thing.
    So, while a person on the other side of the room was reading their story, it became my turn to read mine. So I started reading and I noticed about halfway through it the room got really silent. Once I finished, I put down my paper and saw that everyone in the room was looking at me. Now, I know that I can be loud sometimes without realizing it, so I was like
    "I'm sorry, was I too loud?"
    And the teacher said, "No, no, you were fine. Comments?"
    This girl put up her hand, looked at me dead in the eyes, and said, "This has nothing to do with your story, which was great, by the way. You sound great. Your voice is awesome. You really need to do audio books for audible or something. What are you doing being an english major?"
    From around the class came a varying amount of nods and affirmative grunts.
    "Well, actually, I'm a Radio Production major."
    "Ohhhhhhh!" went the class in an almost hilariously harmonious fashion.
    The girl looked at me, "Can you read mine?"

In my history of broadcasting class, the professor was having some trouble getting the AV system to work, so he asked me and the other techie-type guy to sort it out. While we were up there, he leaves the lecturn and goes off to the other side of the room to get some stuff out of his bag. While he's there, he turns to the class of 150 or so people and says "Alright so these two gentlemen are going to teach the rest of the class. I'm going home."
    Of course, he was just joking, but me and the other guy look at each other (and he knows me) so, while he's still poking at the AV stuff, I start off.
    "Alright then. Well, on the off chance you don't know me, allow me to introduce myself. My name is Victor Frost, I'm a professional audio engineer and a student of Radio Production here are CSUN. Tonight, I'll be teaching you about some of the different and creative uses of sound and sound design techniques as well as some of their historical roots in western entertainment with an emphasis on how it enhances the narrative as well as the fidelity of the inherently non-real world that is animation. Welcome to 'My Little Pony: Sound is Magic'."
    And I just keep going with it. Meanwhile, the professor has stopped going through his bag and is just sorta staring at me. After about 5 minutes, he finally stops me. I had just gotten through my bit about the early history of animation.
    "Alright, alright, that's enough... What are you doing?"
    So I give him this, "I have no idea what you're talking about" face and say, "Giving a lecture..."
    "Yes. I see that. But- *sigh* This all seems rather well rehearsed..."
    The class lets out a laugh.
    "Well, I've had lots of practice."
    "Practice giving lectures in other peoples classes?"
    "No, practice giving lectures at conventions."
    "At conventions?"
    "Yes sir. The first time I gave this lecture was at the last Anime Expo to an audience of about 500 people."
    Nothing.
    "...Shouuuld I continue?"
    He rolls his eyes and tells me to go sit down.

After class he tells me that he's never using that joke again.

Boo to the motherfucking Yah!
    Post edited by Victor Frost on
  • Fuck, I took care of so many grown-up Booh Yahs today:

1) Took the first step in getting a credit card.
    2) Started arranging apartment viewings in Chicago so that I can hopefully get a May lease.
    3) More employment networking.

Adulthood is scary and exciting.
  • edited February 2013
    What areas in Chicago are you looking at? When I was there I loved the summers and the downtown area was a real departure from San Diego.
    Post edited by spikespiguel1 on
  • Lincoln Park, Wicker Park, Logan Square, Humboldt Park, Rogers Park, Bucktown, Uke Village, Ravenswood, Boystown, Uptown, Wrigleyville.
  • Those are some pretty cool names.