This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Attack on Titan

edited August 2013 in Manga/Comics
Putting this in the manga category, because I read five volumes, but haven't watched the anime yet.

Just want to put this here. Doing my usual thing of saying I figured out the story ahead of time. That way if it turns out I'm right later I can point to this post about how smart I was. If I'm wrong, people can forget this post. Don't know if it counts as spoilers, because its speculation, but here goes.

The colossal titan. He appears and disappears out of nowhere. When Eren turns into a titan, that body also seems to appear out of nowhere. The colossal titan also seemed to be somewhat intelligent. It's obviously a human in there. But who, and why?

The answer is simple. The manga is always talking about how there isn't enough food for all the people inside the wall. There's a big mystery of what is going on inside the inner wall where the king lives and such. Smashing the outer walls is obviously a huge help to the agenda of the royalty the same way that terrorism is a huge help to the agenda of politicians in the real world. The colossal titan is the king.

Will I turn out to be right? Probably.

Comments

• edited August 2013
    The drop in food supply happened after the other wall was breached.

Keep reading. The identities of confirmed titan shifters are revealed later in the series. There are also some suspected titan shifting characters that have appeared but we do not know if they are or are not shifters or their possible human counterparts.

Some of the physiology of titans is revealed later in the series as well.

Oh yes, prepare to shit some bricks as more of the origin information is revealed. (Talking about more than just titans.)

My hypothesis is that titans are linked to people in some unconscious fashion. Like perhaps they are people sleeping (dream persona?) Made manifest?

Another thought I had is that the unthinking titans are some larval stage and after eating enough people they become more aware/intelligent?

Something is clearly up because the architecture within the 'human preserve' doesn't mesh with a society that made it into the tech age (3d gear?). I am suspecting that titans have always been around and that humans are new to the world, perhaps created by titans?
    Post edited by HMTKSteve on
  • Stop reading scans.
  • edited August 2013
    @Apreche Interesting hypothesis. Looks accurate.
    Post edited by Dazzle369 on
  • I could tell you what's wrong and what's not about all that. Either way, the manga is one of those ones that I became very bored with eventually... but still struggled through... and I'll read the next ones when they come out...
  • The anime seems better than the manga mostly for pacing reasons.
  • That is pretty accurate.
  • My theory on the Colossal Titan is that he's actually a giant balloon.

My girlfriend and I have been tearing through the series. We like it mostly for the terrible shit that happens to everyone.
  • My girlfriend and I have been tearing through the series. We like it mostly for the terrible shit that happens to everyone.
    Accurate. That is the main reason I watch. Trauma and tragic backstories for everyone, yay.

That and the maneuver sequences. The action choreography and art are the big things the anime has over the manga aside from pacing.
  • I am really enjoying the Anime (I haven't read the Manga) and I am glad this is being produced. It seems like this will be a good series to push onto other people and expand fandom for animation in general.

Even with the large “naked” titans it is much easier showing something like this to people then a slice of life comedy or romantic series based off a dating sim.
  • The anime seems better than the manga mostly for pacing reasons.
    I almost cannot imagine something paced worse than the last few episodes of the first... season? Half season? The episodes before 13.

• I almost cannot imagine something paced worse than the last few episodes of the first... season? Half season? The episodes before 13.

I can name two things.

1. The manga describing these same events.
    2. Any Trigun manga action scene.

• As for my theory on the series. They are zombies. They fumble around not really caring unless they see someone to eat and on more then one occasion I have seen a titan that reminds me of a character that was previously killed in battle.

I believe that we will find out that all the titans used to be human and have died in some horrible way. The people who can transform have found something to live for while all the other titans eventually fully fused with the creature and no longer exist as mortal.
  • I almost cannot imagine something paced worse than the last few episodes of the first... season? Half season? The episodes before 13.

I can name two things.

1. The manga describing these same events.
    2. Any Trigun manga action scene.

Yep.
  • edited August 2013
    The anime seems better than the manga mostly for pacing reasons.
    I almost cannot imagine something paced worse than the last few episodes of the first... season? Half season? The episodes before 13.
    First cours.
    Post edited by Not nine on
    Then I take it you have never watched Endless 8 =]
  • But the Endless 8 did that on purpose. They took painstaking effort to pace that one poorly.
  • My girlfriend and I have been tearing through the series. We like it mostly for the terrible shit that happens to everyone.
    Accurate. That is the main reason I watch. Trauma and tragic backstories for everyone, yay.

That and the maneuver sequences. The action choreography and art are the big things the anime has over the manga aside from pacing.
    I felt that in the beginning, but after there is about three tragic deaths and people crying over them per episode it just gets old.

• edited August 2013
    Don't care about the politics of the world. The author isn't very good at making the government seem credible or interesting since he represents them with either nameless mooks who spout nonsense about the Wall being God or random smug elitists who want to keep the poor out. They're only there to make the protagonists look good rather than offer any real resistance.

The real question is for me is whether the author is going to reveal the setting as Earth in the future or not. Mikasa being special because she's "oriental" implies that it is set on Earth.
    Post edited by Fundefined on
  • Don't care about the politics of the world. The author isn't very good at making the government seem credible since he represents them with either faceless mooks who spout nonsense about the Wall being God or random smug elitist who want to keep the poor out.
    Sounds accurate to me.

• Don't care about the politics of the world. The author isn't very good at making the government seem credible or interesting since he represents them with either nameless mooks who spout nonsense about the Wall being God or random smug elitists who want to keep the poor out. They're only there to make the protagonists look good rather than offer any real resistance.

The real question is for me is whether the author is going to reveal the setting as Earth in the future or not. Mikasa being special because she's "oriental" implies that it is set on Earth.
    Some of this gets covered later...
  • Um... Unless you're directly quoting the manga or something, the term is "Asian."
  • Um... Unless you're directly quoting the manga or something, the term is "Asian."
    The manga I read said Asian.
  • edited August 2013
    The anime seems better than the manga mostly for pacing reasons.
    I initially really enjoyed this property, but now... The pacing is just...
    Post edited by Casa Vino on
  • fucking...
  • You know you could've pulled that off in a non retarded way, right? By actually waiting several days before posting "so fucking slow".
  • Patlabor slow?
  • I like the pacing of the Anime specially in comparison to other series', I just hate the cliff hangers every fricking week!

I want it all already!

(have not read the manga)

Love the action, drama and all the nuances. More content creators need to step up their game in story telling I believe. Attack on Titan is at a pretty good standard overall IMO.