This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Kill la Kill

edited October 2013 in Anime

Kill la Kill is the new TV anime produced by the wunderkinds at Studio Trigger, the same folks who brought you Inferno Cop and Little WItch Academia, and is directed by Hiroyuki Imaishi.

Honnouji Academy, is a school where power and talent are everything. Ruled by the student council president Satsuki Kiryuuin, known as the "Steel Queen", who rules both the school and the city of Honnouji itself without mercy. The powerless are forced into slums and are forced to serve the talented and powerful.

Ryūko Matoi is a mysterious outsider wielding a colossal half-scissor blade who has come to Honnouji in search of its other half. She soonfinds herself embroiled in a conflict with the student council, who use strange Extreme School-Uniforms that grant incredible power. She is determined to defeat the Student Council President, believing that the Steel Queen has the answers she seeks.

This show is amazing. Even with only two episodes out right now, I know this is gong to be one worth watching every week.

Comments

• Absurdly powerful student council taken to the Japanese? I can dig it.
  • My body is ready.
  • This might be Studio Trigger's Evangelion.
  • This might be Studio Trigger's Evangelion.
    It's funny that you say that, because Trigger's made up of people who left Gainax.

Anyway, I was a bit nervious seeing the outfits and character designs at first, but I've seen nothing but huge amounts of praise for this show. I'm probably going to wait until there's a few more episodes before I start watching.
  • edited October 2013
    I am not really into the animoo these days, but I enjoyed Trigger's flagship production and to their credit this show has an interesting aesthetic. A melange of Redline meets Little Witch Academia with the storyboards from Utena. On the other hand...
    I was a bit nervous seeing the outfits and character designs at first...
    The first episode includes a scene of a teenager getting violated by a school uniform that demands her blood because reasons ... I don't think there is any coming back from that.
    Post edited by Casa Vino on
  • I am not really into the animoo these days, but I enjoyed Trigger's flagship production and to their credit this show has an interesting aesthetic. A melange of Redline meets Little Witch Academia with the storyboards from Utena. On the other hand...
    I was a bit nervous seeing the outfits and character designs at first...
    The first episode includes a scene of a teenager getting violated by a school uniform that demands her blood because reasons ... I don't think there is any coming back from that.
    at least 2 more rape jokes in episode 2. They are 2/2.
  • at least 2 more rape jokes in episode 2. They are 2/2.
    Sounds like it could be more like Studio Trigger's Wings of Honneamise.
  • But what is alleged to happen if the protagonist finds the other part of her giant scissors? Does she slice the heavens apart?
  • But what is alleged to happen if the protagonist finds the other part of her giant scissors? Does she slice the heavens apart?
    The most epic naked fight of all time. If they aren't naked when they start, scissors will quickly remove all the clothes.
  • Running naked with scissors is not a good idea.
    The most epic naked fight of all time. If they aren't naked when they start, scissors will quickly remove all the clothes.
    Oh, I didn't know the people behind History's Strongest Disciple were moonlighting on this show.

• I really like most of Kill la Kill because it just has so much style going for it, and I like the writers' self-aware "this plot is ridiculous and we're not even going to try to hide it" thing, but the main character's costume design and the willingness to use these rape-y jokes keeps making me uncomfortable. I'll probably watch the whole thing, but I don't think I'll be raving about it.
  • At least it's equal opportunity fanservice, I guess?

I really hope this happens at some point.

• At least it's equal opportunity fanservice, I guess?
    The creators of KlK looked at Utena and went "this is an great show, but it's missing something. Nipples."

And then decided to do it right on their show.

• edited October 2013
    They did include a piano (plus spikes).

Gotta say that all the shoutouts are making rewatches worth it.

Stuff like this:

Post edited by Banta on
  • Loved the first episode! I knew I would like it based on the talent working on it. Yeah, the rapey uniform scene wasn't a good idea. Also, dude, how can you fight wearing so little! Rules of anime, I guess.
  • What's the show on the right?
  • edited October 2013
    Sukeban Deka.

Found the ending from that show (which also looks like it's the good kind of ridiculous).
    Post edited by Ruffas on
  • Sukeban Deka
    Holy shit. That has been referenced like a zillion times in anime and manga, and I never knew. I mean, that yoyo. Bakuman much?

• So, I mentioned this on twitter, but...

Everyone's comparing this to Evangeion and Gurren-Lagann, but is it just me or does it seem to have more in common with Utena?
  • I've always wondered about that. I mean, that fuckin' mobile strap must weigh about three pounds, how does that not get really annoying?\
  • Everyone's comparing this to Evangeion and Gurren-Lagann, but is it just me or does it seem to have more in common with Utena?
    Thematically, yeah I think it's more in line with Utena.

As for why people are comparing it to the other two, I can see why, visually, it seems to have a similar style to Gurren-Lagann, and I think that's the connection there.

Evangelion is essentially the show that put Gainax on the map as an animation studio. I think everyone feels like this show is going to do the same for Trigger.
  • Everyone's comparing this to Evangeion and Gurren-Lagann, but is it just me or does it seem to have more in common with Utena?
    I'd say that it's like Adolescence of Utena, if Adolescence of Utena was nothing but naked cars.
  • I'd say that there are plenty of superficial similarities between KlK and Utena, but not sure if the similarities go very deep.
  • I have no idea what to think about this show. I'm going to keep watching until either it ends or I come up with something.
  • Bravo, Kill la Kill, bravo. I was feeling the blood rush to my head the last 5 minutes of episode 3 because of how well done the hot bloodedness of Ryuko was. Damn that was fun to watch.
  • So I just watched the first episode and love it. I kind of get the vibe that its the anti Madoka, in that Madoka was all 'being a magic girl is dark and twisted yo" this is more balls to the wall craziness that doesn't really seem to fussed by anything. The art style is one of the big selling points for me as well it looks tender to say the least.
  • Got to three today, and Mako is best character.