This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Video Game Hype Thread

All aboard the hype train!!!

Starting off with the new Alien trailer (please don't suck, please don't suck...)

Comments

• That's the first Alien game that actually looks like Alien and not just an action game that happens to use Xenomorphs as the enemies. I just worry that it will be another one of those non-game movies.
  • This preview gives me a lot of hope. Seems there will be only one alien and he'll hunt you in some pretty smart ways.
  • Andrew said:

This preview gives me a lot of hope. Seems there will be only one alien and he'll hunt you in some pretty smart ways.

Please sir, can I have some more hope?
    http://www.polygon.com/2014/1/7/5283126/the-making-of-the-anti-aliens-game-in-creative-assemblys-alien
  • Dark Souls 2 ya'll
  • For the past few days I kept seeing lots of discussion about a game called Titanfall. Only just now did I realize it wasn't Firefall. I still have no idea what Titanfall is about (about to Google it), but I was very surprised that anyone cared about Firefall.
  • Titanfall: COD with Mechs and jetpacks
  • Basically everyone has a hard-on for mechs, and this is multiplayer mech combat (teams I believe). It was the standout title during next gen previews, and then it wasn't a launch title.

I haven't paid any attention to it b/c this sort of thing is a risky bet (could be awesome, call me when it's awesome), and I don't plan on buying a new console anyway.
  • It's coming out on PC so it doesn't really matter.
  • Well shit, it's an EA title, will likely check it out in a year when it is released on Steam (rather than Origin).
  • EA? Guess I'll never play it.
  • EA? It will be free on PS+ within a year.
  • Video game hype?
    Well, "X" or whatever this game is supposed to be called.
    It's supposed to come out this year..

Titanfall does look like fun. Say what you will about Call of Duty'sgameplay.

I would love to hear any kind of news on Prey 2 this year.
  • Andrew said:

It's coming out on PC so it doesn't really matter.

Oooooh I hadn't realized.
    Apreche said:

EA? Guess I'll never play it.

Aaaaand there's that other shoe.

• johndis said:

Dark Souls 2 ya'll

Your hyping failed.
  • Hrm guess I need to put some more effort into it well ok here goes nothing: Its going to be really good.
  • Dark Souls 2 is probably the game I'm most hyped for.
    La-Mulana 2 is also something I want as soon as possible, but there's not much information about that yet and it's still quite far off.

Two sequels for games that I weren't able to beat without walkthroughs. I hope to do better this time around.
  • Titanfall looks pretty cool the rub, a side from EA, is that it looks to be only 6v6. I want more mechs, like 20v20 or more. Something that gives it more of an epic feel.
  • Amp said:

Titanfall looks pretty cool the rub, a side from EA, is that it looks to be only 6v6. I want more mechs, like 20v20 or more. Something that gives it more of an epic feel.

Of course I forgot this was being developed for the XBONE so it's going to has crippling limitations.

However what would be cool is if there were multiple squads of 6 on a huge map.

Also needs more Kaiju with bigger robots.
  • sK0pe said:

Amp said:

Titanfall looks pretty cool the rub, a side from EA, is that it looks to be only 6v6. I want more mechs, like 20v20 or more. Something that gives it more of an epic feel.

Of course I forgot this was being developed for the XBONE so it's going to has crippling limitations.
    I dunno, I think that's pretty wierd - after all, they handle Battlefield 4 on larger maps, a more complex physics engine(dealing with multiple types of vehicles and multiple flight models) along with every weapon projectile being tracked and other destruction objects, physics objects and so on, on 64 player maps. I think it's more titanfall itself, than the Xbone.

• Churba said:

sK0pe said:

Amp said:

I dunno, I think that's pretty wierd - after all, they handle Battlefield 4 on larger maps, a more complex physics engine(dealing with multiple types of vehicles and multiple flight models) along with every weapon projectile being tracked and other destruction objects, physics objects and so on, on 64 player maps. I think it's more titanfall itself, than the Xbone.

Xbone and Dice developed the Mantle API which is made to optimise AMD hardware very specifically with the Frostbite game engine.

Mantle is possibly also going to fragment the industry by ignoring DirectX / Direct 3D / OpenGL industry standards. We may go back to the early 90's where certain chips worked best with certain game engines.

Glad the consoles could finally catch up over a decade late by evolving from a bunch of cellphone processors to neutered PCs. Still waiting on playing cross platform.
  • Using the term "Xbone" is more annoying than M$
  • Andrew said:

Using the term "Xbone" is more annoying than M$

I disagree, I think it's a great way to shorten the name for conversational use.
  • sK0pe said:

Amp said:

However what would be cool is if there were multiple squads of 6 on a huge map.

Also needs more Kaiju with bigger robots.
    For big mechs you need big battles. Get some Armoured Core on that shit.
  • Did anyone else get into the Titanfall beta?
  • Yeah. Gonna install it when I get back home. Perfect timing too, just got my desktop back yesterday.
  • edited February 2014
    Andrew said:

Did anyone else get into the Titanfall beta?

I think they don't know the difference between a closed and an open beta or we were all savvy enough to apply as early as possible.

Then again BF4 is still in beta.
    Post edited by sK0pe on
  • Planetside 2 is still in Beta :-p
  • I applied right when it went out, but haven't gotten in yet. Hopefully I will eventually, because the game looks pretty fun. If I don't, no big deal though. I'll just go back to playing Strike Vector as god intended.
  • edited February 2014
    I've got another beta key if anyone doesn't have it already, you still need one @YoshoKatana ?

It is pretty fun it's a hybrid between playing against waves of stupid AI, literally stupid AI (when they meet, they take turns shooting at each other but can foil a "pilot" (human player) by drawing attention to him or her when they are sneaking around or getting into a flanking position.

There is a freaking overpowered primary weapon which auto acquires targets over a short period of time it takes 3 times longer to acquire a human target but if you know how to play FPS you can just shoot them like you would with a pistol in Counterstrike.

You get a massive feeling of accomplishment when you flank 10 + enemies and single button drop them all but it is false as you know your killing targets made by the game to be fodder to increase your points. It's almost like an FPS MOBA where you have 6 aside (instead of 5) and the cooldown on your ultimate (getting a Jaeger / Titan) is reduced by how many "minions" (AI yes they even named it after the units in a MOBA) you kill, how much damage you do to "pilots" (human players) and Titans. At maximum you wait 2 minutes.

Getting a Titan is sometimes not all so desirable as the minions are suddenly really good at doing damage to you so you would be fighting against 20 or so competent enemies. The mechs feel very agile other than the inability to jump. I also dropped my titan onto another Titan and killed him because he couldn't see the bright green flare he was standing on.

One person can run away with the game, if you don't have a competent opponent on the other team you will end up with something like 20 - 40 minion kills, 3 - 10 pilot kills and 1 - 6 titan kills.

It is not superbly clear as to how close each team is in points as this game is very fast. If you get a coordinated group of 6 people or even 4 on a team you will destroy any other random group.

I think the restriction to 6 a side was to give you the hectic COD / Battlefield feel with little to no visible detriment in gameplay, making people feel good about being able to kill characters on the enemy team.

Graphics are something you don't really get to admire but if you take a while, the textures are pretty low resolution by PC DX11 standards. The engine and physics are great because its the Source engine and feels correct.

As Churba said the weapon sounds aren't that great.

It is superbly addictive for the first few hours that you play the game especially when you get a handle on when to cloak, stim, wall run, double jump etc.

It is too bad it's on Origin otherwise it would have been a pretty big hit and voice communication would have been better.
    Post edited by sK0pe on