This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Real Life Cooking Mama: Share Your Cooking Projects!

Comments

• My Asian-tinted glasses see something else obviously, or is telling me it's been a while since I've had that sort of food. :P
  • I bet that would taste good with rosemary and olive oil.
  • When making cookie dough, how long do you let it set in the fridge?

Almond butter cookies taste better the next day. Weird, right? I made a batch and fresh from the oven they were hard like rocks. Next day, perfect softness.
  • HMTKSteve said:

When making cookie dough, how long do you let it set in the fridge?

People do that? As soon as I'm done making it, I put it in the oven right away.
  • The only cookies my mom ever lets set are butter balls. Everything else gets baked as soon as the oven is free.
  • My chocolate chip cookie dough usually goes in the fridge for 30-60 minutes.
  • I don't do the fridge. I go straight in the oven. Toll House recipe FTW.
  • I am giving my current batch a 24 hour sit in the fridge. Only problem I have is that the dough is mega sticky and when I flaten it down on the cookie sheet it sticks to my spoon. I am having thoughts of getting the dough really cold (not frozen) and rolling it out on a large flat surface and then using a whiskey tumbler to cut it into circles for baking.
  • For me, It depends on the cookie dough. Drop cookies like chocolate chip or oatmeal usually get baked right away.

Cookies I plan on rolling out and cutting, like gingerbread or sugar, will sit in the fridge for a few hours to overnight.

That being said you can ziplock and store any dough in the fridge for well over a week. I make a crazy amount of cookies during the holiday season because I give platters awa to my job, my dad's doctors, etc. So I'll spend one afternoon making all the doughs then break them out as needed. Just let the drop cookie dough soften a bit before using.
  • HMTKSteve said:

I am giving my current batch a 24 hour sit in the fridge. Only problem I have is that the dough is mega sticky and when I flaten it down on the cookie sheet it sticks to my spoon. I am having thoughts of getting the dough really cold (not frozen) and rolling it out on a large flat surface and then using a whiskey tumbler to cut it into circles for baking.

I don't flatten or circle anything. I use two teaspoons to make balls of dough and put those on the sheet. When they bake, they melt into cookie shape. Gravity does the work.
  • Not all cookie dough flattens out while backing. Cookies using nut butter are less likely to flatten than those made with dairy butter.
  • HMTKSteve said:

Not all cookie dough flattens out while backing. Cookies using nut butter are less likely to flatten than those made with dairy butter.

Stop being a hipster and use real butter.
  • Not hipster, vegan.
  • HMTKSteve said:

Not hipster, vegan.

Well, then refrigeration time is the least of your worries in terms of actually getting quality flavor. I wouldn't sweat over it.
  • I made homemade eggnog last night.

This is a cooked version of eggnog instead of the more traditional raw version. I've never really enjoyed the raw version of eggnog, the texture is too loose. I found this recipe a few years ago and it's been my go to one every year. simplyrecipes.com/recipes/eggnog/ The only thing I change is I always cut back on the nutmeg. Unless you're crazy about nutmeg 1 tsp of it is way too strong in this recipe.
  • Does anyone else here drink egg nog?
    If so, do you mix it with booze?
  • If you're not mixing it with booze, you're doing it wrong.
  • I drink Egg Nog and I don't mix it with booze. I drink the booze separately.
  • edited November 2014
    Hot out of my little blue book, my recipe for Egg Nog. Came across it in a bar book god knows how long ago.

2 big eggs
    Half teaspoon grated nutmeg (Fresh, you fucking philistine)
    85 grams granulated sugar (Or brown. I like brown)
    60ml brandy
    60ml spiced rum (I like Bundaberg mutiny, but most of them will work)
    180ml whole milk
    120ml heavy cream

Chuck the eggs in a blender for a minute on medium(make sure you don't have one of those blenders that heats as you go - preferably before you start), then slowly add sugar and blend for another minute, then leave the blender running while you add your everything else. When you're done, whack it in the fridge with a bit of plastic over the top to let it cool and let the flavors combine. Put extra nutmeg on top when you serve it.

And here's a gallon recipe for parties that I swiped from a bartender at Clyde Common in Portland

12 large eggs
    18 oz granulated sugar
    3 tsp freshly-grated nutmeg
    12 oz anejo tequila
    15 oz Amontillado sherry
    36 oz whole milk
    24 oz heavy cream

In blender on low speed, beat eggs until smooth. Slowly add nutmeg, and sugar until sugar is dissolved. Slowly add sherry, tequila, milk, cream. Fridge overnight, serve in small chilled cups. Dust with fresh nutmeg before serving.
    Post edited by Churba on
  • edited November 2014
    Churba said:

Churba's blue book recipe for Egg Nog

Any preference on the brandy?

Post edited by sK0pe on
  • sK0pe said:

Churba said:

Yes, brandy you like the taste of that doesn't come out of a box or a gallon jug, but also isn't expensive enough that you would be justified bragging about it.
  • Churba said:

sK0pe said:

Churba said:

Yes, brandy you like the taste of that doesn't come out of a box or a gallon jug, but also isn't expensive enough that you would be justified bragging about it.
    Cool I'm using some of that on a Christmas cake at the moment.

• Are grilled cheese sandwiches and pizza actually just different varieties of the same thing?

Bread, cheese, tomato, and fire.
  • Got some Pumpkin Cheesecake ready for tomorrow. Anybody else have some photos of the work before the morning of reckoning?

Could I get you to share that recipe? They look fantastic!

Sorry for the late response, but I do the recipe from here. http://allrecipes.com/recipe/pretzel-bread/. After the first rise, I cut the dough in 8 buns, then prep them for boiling.
  • Apreche said:

Are grilled cheese sandwiches and pizza actually just different varieties of the same thing?

Bread, cheese, tomato, and fire.

Grilled cheese sandwiches don't have tomato (unless you want to put it on).
  • edited November 2014
    Looking over the various pictures of omlettes posted here (and elsewhere) it got me wondering, am I making them wrong? Whenever I make omlettes I try to get a little bit of browning on it for color and flavor, yet as I look I see omletes as a clean pale yellow. So I was wondering, am I doing it wrong, or is simply a matter of preference?
    Post edited by edifolco25 on
  • edited November 2014
    Nukerjsr said:

Sorry for the late response, but I do the recipe from here. http://allrecipes.com/recipe/pretzel-bread/. After the first rise, I cut the dough in 8 buns, then prep them for boiling.

Thanks for the recipe, I couldn't wait to try it out so I made a batch this morning. I think they turned out pretty good! (They certainly taste really good at any rate.)

Post edited by edifolco25 on
  • Looking over the various pictures of omlettes posted here (and elsewhere) it got me wondering, am I making them wrong? Whenever I make omlettes I try to get a little bit of browning on it for color and flavor, yet as I look I see omletes as a clean pale yellow. So I was wondering, am I doing it wrong, or is simply a matter of preference?

The eggs tend to cook a little while after you take them off the pan. It's usually recommended to take the eggs off before they're fully done. That way, they're less solid and more easily foldable.