This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Star Wars: The Disney Era

Comments

• Andrew said:

I have no problems with 3D as a technique, it's just the implementation sucks. The glasses dim the picture immensely. The best way to view 3D movies is actually in VR though :D

When properly projected, the non-glasses image is too bright. You know how when you turn off "Best Buy mode" on a new TV and it looks dark by comparison? That's how it's supposed to look.
  • My man Christopher Nolan doesn't do it.

Most 3d is hey-guys-check-it-out-egregious-zooming-bullshit. I guess that's like anything else though. 90% of it is crud.
  • muppet said:

To be fair you can make a gun that looks like a banana if you wanted to, so while this initially strikes me as a douchey way to ruin informal/spontaneous cosplay for everybody, really we could apply that standard to anything that could conceivably contain a firing mechanism of some kind.

Han Solo's blaster is already build off of a Mauser C96 with some extra stuff added to make it spacey, I just thought it was neat to see a live firing version :P
  • Andrew said:

The best way to view 3D movies is actually in VR though :D

One day.

• I'm going to see the movie on Friday, but only because it is also my birthday.
  • Rym said:

Andrew said:

One day.

You can do it right now with a GearVR.
  • muppet said:

To be fair you can make a gun that looks like a banana if you wanted to, so while this initially strikes me as a douchey way to ruin informal/spontaneous cosplay for everybody, really we could apply that standard to anything that could conceivably contain a firing mechanism of some kind.

Han Solo's blaster is already build off of a Mauser C96 with some extra stuff added to make it spacey, I just thought it was neat to see a live firing version :P
    I made mine out of an airsoft version but made sure to shoot my teenager in the butt with it a couple of times first. :P
  • Andrew said:

Rym said:

Andrew said:

One day.

You can do it right now with a GearVR.
    Will that give me as much raw resolution and color correctness as a 70mm panavision print?

• I would be much more inclined to wait if theaters hadn't all renovated themselves in the past five years. I basically stopped going to movies because I can't stand dealing with the other people at movies. With the giant leather recliners and large distance between you and other people, it's much less of a bother now.
  • edited December 2015
    Rym said:

Will that give me as much raw resolution and color correctness as a 70mm panavision print?

Do they even do 3D movies with 70mm?

Post edited by Andrew on
  • I haven't been in a theater since like.. Avatar. Are they really all like that now?

I got an IMAX 3D showing because, procrastination. At 2am Friday morning. So maybe it'll be light...
  • Andrew said:

Rym said:

They do not.

Will oculus give me the same experience as a 70mm 2D movie? ;^)
  • edited December 2015
    Rym said:

Will oculus give me the same experience as a 70mm 2D movie? ;^)

TBH, it's pretty damn close. :P
    Post edited by Andrew on
  • edited December 2015
    Andrew said:

Rym said:

I saw Interstellar at the Udvar Hazy Smithsonian Air and Space Museum IMAX and it was in 3D and 70mm.
    Post edited by jabrams007 on
  • edited December 2015
    I would be OK with 70mm coming back, but then they should really hurry up with 140mm or something ridiculous.

I'm glad to see that at least a few people have real-firing Han Solo Blasters. I'd like a real-firing E-11.

I also plan to build a legitimate, fully functioning, firing, MA5B from Halo at some point, whenever I happen to be in a state where such a thing isn't covered by an assault-weapons-ban, and chamber it in some sort of real cartridge.
    Post edited by SWATrous on
  • SWATrous said:

I'd like a real-firing E-11.

Get welding
    I also plan to build a legitimate, fully functioning, firing, MA5B from Halo at some point, whenever I happen to be in a state where such a thing isn't covered by an assault-weapons-ban, and chamber it in some sort of real cartridge.
    I'm telling you man, a 10/22 stock would probably be the easiest way to go. I'm sure theres plenty of STL files for other 10/22 bullpup stocks or MA5B props you could modify if you could get access to a quality 3D printer. And in some states .22lr isn't as restricted by AWB.
  • Apparently the Force Awakens is rated PG-13, which I think is a first for the series. Even the Empire Strikes Back was rated PG.
  • Revenge of the Sith was PG-13
  • Apparently the Force Awakens is rated PG-13, which I think is a first for the series. Even the Empire Strikes Back was rated PG.

The PG-13 rating didn't exist when the original trilogy aired. It was created in 1984.
  • Andrew said:

Revenge of the Sith was PG-13

I stand corrected then. Still, it's a pretty bold choice on Disney's part.
  • Not really. PG-13 and PG are interchangeable for most parents.

G - Garbage
    PG - Regular Movie
    PG-13 - Regular Movie
    R - Regular movie you watch on Netflix instead of in the theater
  • Everyone PayPal me $20 or I'll post the entire script here.
  • I don't even know or pay attention to the ratings of movies at all anymore. The last time I cared was when I was not 17, and some theaters wouldn't let me see The Matrix, so my friend's dad took us in and then left without buying a ticket.
  • I saw R rated movies by myself all the time in high school. The ratings aren't in any way legally binding.
  • I saw plenty of R movies in high school but it was never a guarantee. There was that one time where we got turned away from South Park and decided to see Wild Wild West...
  • Matt said:

Everyone PayPal me $20 or I'll post the entire script here.

So, if I charge you $20, will you post the script faster?
  • Rym said:

I saw R rated movies by myself all the time in high school. The ratings aren't in any way legally binding.

They were not, but the movie theaters in our town voluntarily enforced restrictions.
  • edited December 2015
    Rym said:

I saw R rated movies by myself all the time in high school. The ratings aren't in any way legally binding.

I remember when I was 13, I wanted to see the movie Thunderheart, starring Val Kilmer, and the guy at the ticket booth wouldn't let me in because I was underage. My mom was actually with me and had bought me the ticket and told the guy that she was my mother and was giving me permission to see an "R" rated movie without her and the guy still wouldn't let me in.

In one of the most epic "mom moments" of my life that I still remember to this day, my mom gave the guy a look and told him that "I guess you won't let my son see this movie by himself because in case he pisses himself, you want me in there to clean it up." He just kind of sputtered and my mom and I went back to the ticket office and demanded a refund.

It wasn't until years later that I finally saw Thunderheart and realized that I hadn't missed anything.
    Post edited by jabrams007 on
  • Matt said:

Everyone PayPal me $20 or I'll post the entire script here.

The flaw in your plan? I am illiterate!