This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Rocket League

Comments

• I find it amusing that these guys think the it's totally okay to be a complete and total asshole online because 'free speech', then immediately whine when the hammer drops because the community at large hates them.

They always forget the right to peaceably assemble. I can seek out interactions with people within a certain context, and people are allowed to kick your ass out for being a gigantic douchbag disrupting everything.

RL doesn't owe them shit.
  • edited February 2016

I find it amusing that these guys think the it's totally okay to be a complete and total asshole online because 'free speech', then immediately whine when the hammer drops because the community at large hates them.

They always forget the right to peaceably assemble. I can seek out interactions with people within a certain context, and people are allowed to kick your ass out for being a gigantic douchbag disrupting everything.

I will admit to being pretty amused reading all those people bitching about how awful this is, how it will be abused, how everybody will be too afraid to say anything because they'll get banned just like LoL(which also isn't true), because shitty people like that are a large part of the reason I kinda faded off on playing RL, and pretty much the entire reason I don't engage with the community anymore. I want to play RL to have fun, not get abused by assholes because I'm not playing to whatever mad scheme they've concocted in their head.
    Post edited by Churba on
  • While I've not played league for like half a year now, I've been told that their new reporting scheme has worked pretty well for them. They gave the ui of the reporting interface the HCI treatment so it was pretty relevant, and started doling out punishments that lasted minutes and hours that always gave the reason for the temporary ban. Apparently it's had a positive effect on the community at large vis a vis operant conditioning.
  • Naoza said:

While I've not played league for like half a year now, I've been told that their new reporting scheme has worked pretty well for them. They gave the ui of the reporting interface the HCI treatment so it was pretty relevant, and started doling out punishments that lasted minutes and hours that always gave the reason for the temporary ban. Apparently it's had a positive effect on the community at large vis a vis operant conditioning.

Where is this reporting mechanism? I didn't notice they added it.
  • After any game there's options to the right of each player's stats, items, etc. It's right near the buttons to give them ratings like helpful or informative. I'd give a screenshot but I'm at work.
  • I'm going to rate people so hard from now on.

One thing though. I often encourage people to forfeit so we don't waste our time on lost games. If people report me for that, will it hold weight?
  • No idea; however, I would suggest not encouraging people to forfeit since I doubt it would look good for you if/when someone does report you.
  • Banta said:

No idea; however, I would suggest not encouraging people to forfeit since I doubt it would look good for you if/when someone does report you.

I'm sure the person who hurls homophobic/racist slurs at me for asking them to forfeit will look much worse.
  • True, but asking people to forfeit could also be considered harassment by Psynoix depending on the context. They could end up smacking both of you down instead of just one.
  • Banta said:

True, but asking people to forfeit could also be considered harassment by Psynoix depending on the context. They could end up smacking both of you down instead of just one.

Rocket League made a big mistake in letting anyone chat. Should have just followed the Hearthstone way. Emotes only.
  • You can now mute any chat that isn't one of the quick chat options.
  • Apreche said:

Banta said:

True, but asking people to forfeit could also be considered harassment by Psynoix depending on the context. They could end up smacking both of you down instead of just one.

Rocket League made a big mistake in letting anyone chat. Should have just followed the Hearthstone way. Emotes only.
    Coming from someone who has logged a ton of time in Splatoon and Mario Kart 8 online, and also played a fair bit of Hearthstone, I am firmly entrenched in my agreement with you. This really works.

• edited February 2016
    I've had a few runs where a team beats us then they start spouting off bullshit so we're like "okay, lets play again then." Proceed to stomp them for the next 4-5 games. And when I say stomp I mean like 10-2. Then maybe on the 6th game they win and start shoving it in your face then immediately bail. Good job on your inconsistent wins. And it's almost always one guy, I've had said guy on my team before a couple times too and I want to tell him to fuck off but I'm usually on PS4 so I don't want to waste time plugging in a keyboard or typing out on their shitty virtual keyboard.

There are a minority of assholes, but I think for the most part people are pretty good about just having fun.
    Post edited by MATATAT on
  • In ranked mode I don't want to "just have fun". I want people who are playing very seriously and competitively, regardless of their actual skill level.

That means, not attempting/practicing aerials you can't do, and being a useless teammate. That means abandoning defense when time is running out and we're 1 goal behind. That means not leaving the net empty when we're tied mid game. That means not going around just griefing and demo-ing. That means forfeiting when we can't possibly come back, so we can go play a meaningful game instead.

If you want to just have fun, don't play in competitive mode.
  • Demo-ing is a pretty good strategy in some cases. I've actually tried to do more of it. Especially with Hockey where it was way easier sit in goal and guard the edges.
  • MATATAT said:

Demo-ing is a pretty good strategy in some cases. I've actually tried to do more of it. Especially with Hockey where it was way easier sit in goal and guard the edges.

Obviously you gotta demo sometimes. I'm talking about that one car who decides they don't even care who scores, they just wanna blow some people up.
  • Apreche said:

MATATAT said:

Demo-ing is a pretty good strategy in some cases. I've actually tried to do more of it. Especially with Hockey where it was way easier sit in goal and guard the edges.

Obviously you gotta demo sometimes. I'm talking about that one car who decides they don't even care who scores, they just wanna blow some people up.
    I don't think I've ever seen this before. I don't doubt that it happens though.
  • Naoza said:

While I've not played league for like half a year now, I've been told that their new reporting scheme has worked pretty well for them. They gave the ui of the reporting interface the HCI treatment so it was pretty relevant, and started doling out punishments that lasted minutes and hours that always gave the reason for the temporary ban. Apparently it's had a positive effect on the community at large vis a vis operant conditioning.

Something I've noticed about it - all the really shitty people tend to assume it's an instant ban for any shit talking. In reality, it takes multiple reports, across multiple games, from multiple players to earn a mute and especially a ban, in the majority of cases.

What actually happens - The shitty people who assume it's a near-instant ban tend to just be so prolific(or simply vile) in their shit talking that they earn bans much, much faster than people who just do it once or twice because they're having a shitty day. But the garbage people spread the rumor that it's instant, because they're so toxic they just can't see why they got banned - to them, using homophobic or racist slurs is just trash talk, and people should get a thicker skin - so they assume it's an instant ban for anything, which has a chilling effect on just the shitty parts of the community.
  • I still don't understand why we can't just have a zero tolerance policy. Even just calling someone a fucker should be an instant perma ban. Want to play this game? Buy it again. Fuck you. Just clean house.
  • edited February 2016
    Apreche said:

I still don't understand why we can't just have a zero tolerance policy. Even just calling someone a fucker should be an instant perma ban. Want to play this game? Buy it again. Fuck you. Just clean house.

I was talking about LoL there, I should add. So the instant perma-ban would be less effective, with the lack of buy-in.

But I don't know. Propably to do with difficulty of enforcement - after all, you'd have to have a review staff, it'd be hard to write an autoban that could tell the difference between "That was a fucker of a game, but well played sticking it out to the end, guys" and "You're a complete fucker". And you'd have to review EVERY case to avoid false positives, rather than multiple reports being handled by a bot before sending a player up the chain for review.

But in the end, I dunno. You'd have to ask Psyonix.
    Post edited by Churba on
  • If I made a game, I would review with human eyeballs. It's worth it. I'm sure it would be profitable, too. People rebuying the game, and also hopefully fining people. Worst case, people stop misbehaving, and you have to find other work for those employees to do.
  • Apreche said:

I still don't understand why we can't just have a zero tolerance policy. Even just calling someone a fucker should be an instant perma ban. Want to play this game? Buy it again. Fuck you. Just clean house.

Sounds like someone needs to step up his trash talking game.

• Scott just wants to ban everyone better than him.
  • Andrew said:

Scott just wants to ban everyone better than him.

Well, at least I know I'm safe.
  • Andrew said:

Scott just wants to ban everyone better than him.

No, I just don't want to PLAY with anyone who is too much better, or worse, than I am. Just one player being too good or too bad makes the entire match awful. When all 6 players are pretty tight, it's amazing. I don't want to play basketball with LeBron, and he doesn't want to play with me. It would be an awful experience for both of us.

As for behavior, if someone calls someone a homophobic slur even once, why not lay down the harshest possible penalty? What's the hold-up?
  • Finished out my placement matches and ended up in Challenger Two for Doubles and both Standards, and Challenger One for Solo Duel. I'm pretty happy about that since it's a huge up from my ranks pre-patch which were all varying levels of Bronze.
  • The ranking system made me quit Rocket League once. They rejiggered it, so I came back. Now I'm quitting again. Case in point:

I had multiple games like this in a row, and was downranked. Now it's an even more common occurrence than before. This game is way fun if I can just actually get a game where all 6 players are roughly equally skilled, but that seems impossible to arrange at the level of skill that I am at.
  • We're playing some semi-private game soonish. If I don't get a full roster, I may post the name/password here ;)
  • Trueskill ranking in Halo 3 has been in my experience the best matchmaking system. The only time you were ever mismatched is if you had mostly average players in your party and 1 exceptional player, then you might be match-made with a team with a higher average skill level to, you know make it fair, however doesn't always have the results.

It worked more consistently if you were matchmaking as an individual rather than a party, so you were always playing in teams against opponents of your same skill level +/- about 1 or 2 levels depending on how many players were in the matchmaking pool at the time.

Better still, the free-for-all modes meant that you could player in parties of very mixed skill levels and really test your skill and learn how to take down some high skill players, or lose very badly.

I guess to resolutions for Rocket League needs to be better maths/ larger matchmaking pool/ other game modes to to raise average skill levels.

Again for Halo 3, on the weekends you had the double XP playlists. Appeared only on the weekends, for a special game mode, different every week. And the match making pool was always huge on the weekend.

Matchmaking was so fast on the weekends, just because more people were incentivized to play more on the weekends by adding this fun extra thing.