This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

2016 Presidential Election

Comments

• Rym said:

There also needs to be an exist = have basic needs covered regardless of pay.

Guaranteed survival, safety, education, and comfort. "Pay" should be for things above and beyond that.

And optional.

So yeah. Bernie's a little too far right for my real tastes.
    Ditto.
  • Greg said:

Things will never be as simple as when I was 12 years old reading Karl Marx in my bedroom alone.

+1 reference
  • Greg said:

Things will never be as simple as when I was 12 years old reading Karl Marx in my bedroom alone.

+1 reference
    @Pegu and I need to talk folk punk with you sometime.
  • Indeed.
  • indubitably
  • Libertarian delegates boo @GovGaryJohnson for saying he'd have signed Civil Right Act. Are they TRYING to be more pathetic than Trump's GOP?

— John Nichols (@NicholsUprising) May 29, 2016

People are booing the idea that you shouldn't be able to sell heroin to a 5-year-old. #LPDebate #LPConvention

— Ashley Rae (@Communism_Kills) May 29, 2016
    The Libertarian Convention is all kinds of lol.
  • edited May 2016
    Elliot Nelson from Huffpo was in attendance, his twitter feed is an excellent highlight reel. Including Daryl Perry saying "Meth should be as legal as tomatoes" and screaming into a microphone before cack-handedly punching his lectern.
    Post edited by Churba on
  • He's just not batshit enough for your average Glenn Beck-esque American Libertarian.
  • If you're just interested in results, predictably, they chose Gary Johnson as their nominee for this cycle's complete loss.
  • Who was the competition?
  • Greg said:

Who was the competition?

Realistically, John McAfee and Austin Petersen. The rest of the slate was Marc Allan Feldman, Kevin McCormick, Darryl Perry, with one write-in vote each for Ron Paul, Vermin Supreme, Heidi Zemen, and Derrick Grayson.
  • I actually listened to the entire libertarian deviation via Penn's Sunday School and McAfee was the best person out of the bunch.
  • Churba said:

If you're just interested in results, predictably, they chose Gary Johnson as their nominee for this cycle's complete loss.

Was he even really campaigning much anyway? I haven't heard much from him lately compared to the 2012 election, but I haven't been looking for it either.
    Coldguy said:

I actually listened to the entire libertarian deviation via Penn's Sunday School and McAfee was the best person out of the bunch.

Even if he's currently high on bath salts right now, and might have murdered his wife, I'd still probably take McAfee over Trump
  • McAfee is in politics now? WTF?
  • Daikun said:

McAfee is in politics now? WTF?

Yes and he isn't as super nuts as one would think.

Here is the debate if you want to listen to it.
  • Coldguy said:

The link isn't working. It says I need Flash Player, yet I have that installed.
  • Daikun said:

Coldguy said:

The link isn't working. It says I need Flash Player, yet I have that installed.
    Alternative link

http://pennsundayschool.com/episodes/

Episode 221
  • One of the candidates for Libertarian Party chair used his two minute speech to strip. pic.twitter.com/K9UyWpM4A0

— Byron Tau (@ByronTau) May 29, 2016
  • North Korea endorses Donald Trump. Today's sarcasm is tomorrow's headlines.
  • Coldguy said:

Daikun said:

Uh, yeah, knowing someone who was directly involved in the whole crazy jungle thing, he totally is. He just manages to hide it pretty well sometimes. Don't fall for it.
  • Nuri said:

Coldguy said:

Daikun said:

Uh, yeah, knowing someone who was directly involved in the whole crazy jungle thing, he totally is. He just manages to hide it pretty well sometimes. Don't fall for it.
    I am not saying that McAfee is a normal person, I am just saying hat solely nasedbon the episode he came across as not nuts. Overall is a different story.
  • Despite the content of most of my posts in this thread, I am not actually an ardent Hillary Clinton supporter. I think she's a flawed candidate, as all candidates are flawed, but that Bernie Sanders has even greater (though different) flaws, as I measure them.

That said, this is a great article about her that only reinforces why I'm not worried at all about her as president:

Hillary Clinton vs. Herself
  • Every day before they go to sleep, every non-Trump supporter who is eligible to vote in the 2016 US Presidential Election should say "President Trump." They should allow the horrors that utterance conjures to develop fully in their minds eye. It should keep them awake a little longer and haunt their dreams. I am sick of this Sanders v. Clinton nonsense. They are both relatively moderate candidates with numerous flaws. They have extremely similar ideals. Both are career politicians with the accomplishments, failures, and taint that come with all politicians in our oligarchical system. Neither is my preferred candidate. Both would be far, far better than the alternative.
  • edited June 2016
    Something that's super super pissing me off about the "only Bernie" camp is that they seem to blissfully ignore the fact that he's a career politician who has spent his career gaming the system in order to get any part of his legislation across - as opposed to actually trying to work with the system as intended.

Being "the amendment king" is not a compliment - it means that you lack the ability to actually do the work of politics, and so your agenda will only ever be accomplished by riding on the hard work of others.

But somehow, this doesn't matter, because clearly he's right and everyone else is dumb.

I really want to like Sanders a whole bunch, and I really don't want his candidacy tainted by his supporters - but damn, dude.
    Post edited by TheWhaleShark on
  • We keep hitting the nail on the head here. I mean, as much as I prefer the Sanders messaging, I actually voted for Clinton in the primary.

What bothers me the most is that anyone would seriously consider letting the GOP, especially with the race-fueled Trump train, hold presidential power, because of a squabble over the 1% of the Democratic platform they think they disagree with.

• Bernie Bros don't care about policy, they care about image. Arguing with them over concrete actions is futile. They're using fundamentally different criteria to decide their vote. It's like trying to give feedback on a Great Gatsby essay when the student turned in a baking soda volcano.
  • This is what I'm seeing in my friends' Twitter feeds

Hillary definitely has some bad marks on her record but when Trump can't even deal with a judge in his trial without whining, I can't see how you do not vote for her despite those problems. Gary Johnson is a better conservative candidate and he's insane
  • BernieBros right now
  • Live look at the Bernie Sanders campaign pic.twitter.com/NYzBZerCcu

— (((Harry Enten))) (@ForecasterEnten) June 7, 2016