This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

How did you find GeekNights?

Comments

• Song of Ice and Fire series
    When did we ever talk about that?
  • When did we ever talk about that?
    In passing, yes, but I'm not sure you spoke of it in any detail at all - reasonably sure you didn't.
  • the Song of Ice and Fire series
    I really enjoyed reading the Song of Fire and Ice series, but feel sad knowing that there is no way for it to come to anything resembling a conclusion - especially considering George R. R. Maritn's age. I just hope we don't get a Dune situation with a bunch of shitty sequels that don't understand what made the originals enjoyable.
  • the Song of Ice and Fire series
    I really enjoyed reading the Song of Fire and Ice series, but feel sad knowing that there is no way for it to come to anything resembling a conclusion - especially considering George R. R. Maritn's age. I just hope we don't get a Dune situation with a bunch of shitty sequels that don't understand what made the originals enjoyable.
    I wouldn't say it's completely impossible. The guy is 62 right now, and on the cusp of publishing the 5th book. Latest reports from him & his publisher show that book between 2-4 chapters away from complete, and there already being about 1/3 of the 6th book written in draft form from chapters that have been pushed back into that book during previous draft edits. Even on his incredibly slow pace for book 5, as long as he still write up to about age 72, we'll have a complete series. Don't get me wrong, the guy could drop dead or flat out retire for any number of reasons over the next 10 years, but to say it's impossible someone will work until age 72 is an overstatement.
  • Started listening to the podcast after randomly seeing the Game Mechanism and Design panel at PAX Prime 2010 (the panel I actually wanted to see was canceled at the last minute and I just wandered into whatever was closest).
  • Fate canceled that panel so that you would ultimately wander out this way.
  • Hmmmm, which came first? Did I hear mention of GN on Fast Karate, or did I hear mention of Fast karate on GN first. I honestly cant remember It has been several years since I started listening to both casts, and I started them both at relatively the same time. Heck it could have been a chain reaction AWO=>FK=>GN

I do know I got them all in iTunes at that point. However, I did use... I think it was called lemon something. Before iTunes had a podcast section (doubling its value) I listened to The Signal podcast and the widget Podcast. There may have been a promo somewhere in those two that started the causality chain leading to GN I suppose. Either way it was through another podcast of some sort.
  • edited March 2011
    I found Fast Karate, AWO and GeekNights when searching for anime podcasts a few years ago. Perhaps not in the very same search, but pretty much that. I remember checking some other podcasts out, but not liking them.
    EDIT: Turns out I already posted in this thread. I guess that's likely to be more accurate :D
    Post edited by lackofcheese on
  • . I think it was called lemon something.
    iPodder Lemon, AKA Juice.
  • I'd say the likelihood of Ice and fire being completed is inversely proportional to the performance of the Jets and Giants. As a Bostonian, I hardly need another excuse to want to see New York fail (but I'll take it).
  • I discovered GeekNights back in 2008 when my dad started to listen to it. Even though I've been listening ever since, it's taken me this long to join the forums. -_-
  • I attended PAX 2010 (first con ever). I went to one of the panels ("Egregiously Unrealized Potential") by Rym and Scott and found what they had to say quite interesting so I decided to start listening to the podcast.
  • I started listening to Anime World Order, Dave and Joel's Fast Karate for the Gentlemen, and Geeknights all around the same time in early 2006. I have no idea which show I found first, but I know that they directed me towards each other.
  • Geek Nights was the Podcast of the Week at the Brilliant Gameologists podcast from October 18 last year [Link]

I think I listened to it first on December or maybe november, and I've been hooked ever since.
  • I live in California, rarely go to cons, focus mainly on technology articles on my interwebs Strangely enough I joined an LS on Final Fantasy XIV and one of the people I met there, Skieth, told me about GeekNights. I listened to one and was instantly hooked. The rest, as they say (WHO THE HELL IS "THEY"?), is history (Yes I get to write the books this time!).
  • I found geeknight by pure coincidence. I knew nothing about podcasting nor anyone told me about it. I was searching a few years ago for song of the ost of escaflown on SkreemR, when i found something weird called "Geeknights - Escaflowne" :P

After that, i started listening to all your old files slowly and after a while i was hooked :P
  • I listen to Atomic Trivia War 9000 and they kept on mentioning you and decided I'd see what all the hubbub was about.
  • I listen to Atomic Trivia War 9000 and they kept on mentioning you and decided I'd see what all the hubbub was about.
    Woohoo! We brought a listener to here!
    And one with Gyro Gearloose as an avatar, no less.
    You also brought me to Fast Karate!
  • PAX East 2011 (just a few months back). Saw two or three panels, and I very much enjoyed the discussions of lay Game Theory and how MMOs pretty much suck both in name and spirit.

I didn't start listening until a month or two ago when I wanted to see what else I could be doing with my Android phone besides chatting up friends. Currently subscribed to Tech, Games, and Random.

In the words of Homer Simpson, "Your ideas are intriguing to me and I wish to subscribe to your newsletter." I'm not much for remembering quotes, but this kept ringing through my brain during the panels.
  • It was ponies. I don't remember where I found out about it exactly, either 4chan or Equestria Daily, but the MLP episode is the first one I heard and I've been enjoying the other episodes since.
  • edited June 2011
    You buggers lured me in with your Tarn Adams (Dwarf Fortress) interview. Since then I've heard straight from the pony's mouth that episodes for snaring specific communities is a deliberate ploy. I'm... glad it happened!
    Post edited by MrBRAD! on
  • I found this place via Anime World Order. I started listening to them a few months ago wen my sister interviewed them for a project. You were debunking those guys's perceptions on how Anime Cons should be and I agreed with you and like always thought they were snobby and elitist. I forgot for a few months and then started getting into podcasts ad decided to look into you guys again. I'm still going through the backlog and I'm hooked.
  • edited July 2011
    always thought [AWO was] snobby and elitist
    Ooooh, are you in for a cold shower if you think Scrym are not snobby and elitist.
    Post edited by Not nine on
  • I know but they don't annoy me, I find Scrym to be fun and funny. Some people can pull it off without being dislikable, others can't.
  • Ooooh, are you in for a cold shower if you think Scrym are not snobby and elitist.
    I'm elitist and snobby in my own tastes, but (with the exception of The IT Crowd can respect and understand others' tastes.
    I find Scrym to be fun and funny. Some people can pull it off without being dislikable, others can't.
    You and me, we can get along. ^_~
  • I find Scrym to be fun and funny. Some people can pull it off without being dislikable, others can't.
    You and me, we can get along. ^_~
    Well met Rym, well met. And here I thought I was making a poor impression.
  • edited July 2011
    I know
    In that case carry on.
    Some people can pull it off without being dislikable, others can't.
    The one problem with this line is that the AWO guys (and girl) don't try to be snobby and elitist at all. They're quite the opposite.
    Well met Rym, well met. And here I thought I was making a poor impression.
    Utter bullshit. You're going to be making impressions with every post you make. Enough time thus to make poor impressions. Welcome to and enjoy the forums.
    Post edited by Not nine on
  • You're going to be making impressions with every post you make.
    Measure is unceasing, you might say.