This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

How did you find GeekNights?

Comments

• I don't see it that way at anime conventions. Anime fans view themselves as "intentionally immature" and non-fans as "trying to make them grow up." Therefore, professionals seem like the outside world trying to tell them to be mature and take their fun and "grow it up."
  • I don't see it that way at anime conventions. Anime fans view themselves as "intentionally immature" and non-fans as "trying to make them grow up." Therefore, professionals seem like the outside world trying to tell them to be mature and take their fun and "grow it up."
    And this is why something like 80% of anime fans annoy me to the point of avoiding them at all costs.
    And this is why something like 80% of anime fans annoy me to the point of avoiding them at all costs.
    Only 80%? That's generous.

• First you get the ponies. Then you get the Radio Free Equestria. Then you get the GeekNights podcast.
  • I went onto the Foonetic IRC network looking to find some friends who were interested in Sociology, found the #geeknights channel, and people started telling me to come here. So I did.
  • @Smitty Please tell me you have at least heard of 80s Dan? If so I could do SO MANY jokes.

• I went onto the Foonetic IRC network looking to find some friends who were interested in Sociology, found the #geeknights channel, and people started telling me to come here. So I did.
    That is so backwards.
  • edited March 2013
    That is so backwards.
    So you guys don't usually use the IRC channel to recruit for your forums? I assumed that was what they made it for.

Post edited by athenian200 on
  • who knows what the fuck that irc is for...

the couple times ive logged onto it i regretted doing so
  • That is so backwards.
    So you guys don't usually use the IRC channel to recruit for your forums? I assumed that was what they made it for.

It was made to talk to people...that's it.
  • I found GeekNights in 2006 via iTunes. It was the first podcast I really got into.
  • A few months ago I stumbled upon someone on World of Warcraft who was telling me how funny Thursday was.
  • I found GeekNights from the Practical Game Theory 'panel' at this year's PAX East. I was so impressed with the lecture, and enjoyed it so much that I began listening to GeekNights in reverse chronological order as soon as I got back home. (currently on early 2010).
  • Word. ^_^

Don't forget that a ton of our other, better lectures on on Youtube right alongside that one. ;^)
  • Found it through Geo. ^_^
  • Let's see, basically I found it after I got my first iPhone (AKA my first mp3 player) and figured I'd try out those "podcast thingies I heard so much about" as something to listen to on my daily commute. I came across Geek Nights in iTunes, remembered it as "oh yeah, those guys who applied for that Otakon panel a couple years back when I ran their panels department," and the rest is history.
  • I ran out of music and needed something to drown out the sound of people talking in my office.
  • I found the show after searching for tech podcasts to listen to on my Windows phone 8, and have subsequently listened to about 30-40 shows! Great stuff!
  • My partner and I were at PAX Australia and were playing games in the Big Top tabletop area. Rym and Scott were walking past and noticed we were playing Blokus and joined in the game. After that we played a round of Hanbi, and sat around chatting for a bit. At some point they mentioned doing a show called GeekNights, and I made an awful joke asking if people ever think the show is called 'Gee Knights'. Made it stick in my head (good thing too, I have a shockingly bad short term memory) and when I got home I looked up the show and now I'm slowly working my way back through the episodes.
  • edited August 2013
    Oh, I remember you! Glad to see you here, welcome welcome.
    Post edited by Churba on
  • I can't remember if I've posted in here or not, so...

I found the podcast way back in '06 by a blog post made by Ananth on Applegeeks.
  • I believe I found geeknights from the HallaStar forums.
  • Banta referred me to GeekNights many moons ago.
    It's odd to think about how a single podcast could have enriched my life as much as it has, but there it is anyway.
  • Interview with Tarn Adams, creator of Dwarf Fortress. I was massively into DF at that stage and it was posted in the dev blog. I wanted to hear more from the interesting geeky dudes, so I downloaded a few more episodes and haven't stopped since. Really glad I found it.
  • I am a fledgling tabletop designer and stumbled upon the Geek Nights lectures on Youtube, while looking for some information on various game mechanics. Followed the link from the video found the podcast and then the forum.
  • I started listening to podcasts in the last year. It branched from listening to ANNcast, then AnimeWorldOrder, and then I came across GeekNights from there.
  • I found Geeknights through the Utena videos.

I watched Utena back in 1999 when I was in middle school. Most of the symbolism went over my head lol. I remember liking it and yet being really creeped-out also :D A year ago I started re-watching a bunch of old anime and was blown away when I got to Utena. Watching it for a 2nd time.....and as an adult this time....it was AMAZING! Most of my time was spent with my jaw dropped and repeatedly saying "OOOooohhhh!!! oh shit!" over and over lol. It was funny to realize how completely oblivious I was as a teenager when I watched it the first time.
  • edited March 2014
    I found Geeknights way back when I was a sophomore in High School, and looking for podcasts for my brand spankin' new iPod 5th gen. I was looking for more video game related podcasts, and was searching for random shit like "video game," "nerd," and "GEEK." And presto, 7(ish) years later, and I am still listening.
    Post edited by RobotMitchell on
  • Man, that was back when PODCASTING IS THE NEW THING AMG before people sobered up and most of the podcasters quit. ;^)
  • Visiting your webpage after watching the PAX 2013 panel on "Mastering Game Mechanics" in Youtube