This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

How did you find GeekNights?

Comments

• Probably posted this 5 years ago, but I found the show through the Winamp Podcast Directory.
  • I was at Connection somewhere between 07 and 09 and I went to see a panel where the guests didn't show. It turned into IP politics 101 and some where in the discussion someone pointed me at the character burning panel which Rym and Scott were running.

I didn't actually start listening to podcast until early 2011. After the guys over at Anime World Order mentioned Geeknights, I immediately started digging through the archives and listening to choice morsels of geeky podcast goodness.

It says something about how much fun that panel was that I thought to check out the guys who ran it some 2 years later.
  • Google search for "Connecticon 2012". I was trying to find out if I'm the only one frustrated with the lack of communication, without posting about it on the official forums. :-P
  • Something with Google+ I cant remember.
  • I found the show while looking for game design and game theory videos and found Jane McGonigal's PAX keynote, then saw the GeekNights game theory panel. Then The Ballad of Dudebro happened.
  • The 2006 interview with Luke Crane.
  • The 2006 interview with Luke Crane.
    Damn son.

We basically had to force him to do it. ;^)
  • Damn son.

We basically had to force him to do it. ;^)
    I'm thankful for it! I got the link to that interview from the BW wiki, and started grabbing more episodes of Geeknights from there. Now I have years of archived podcasts to consume.
  • Just realized I never posted in this thread. JTVH dragged me to a 10pm showing of Anime Openers and Closers from Around the World the year that Geeknights was given its own room at CTcon.
  • Just realized I never posted in this thread. JTVH dragged me to a 10pm showing of Anime Openers and Closers from Around the World the year that Geeknights was given its own room at CTcon.
    You know what, come to think of it, I think I might have saw you there that time. When we actually met; I felt I had seen you somewhere before.

• I found you guys after in the recommendations list on itunes after listening to The S Words Podcast.
  • Some random person who told me they thought Geek Nights was pretty cool, when I told them I was just getting into Podcasts.
  • Through the video panels, when i did was refreshing my research into game dynamics.
  • I found out about them from a simple flyer they gave out maybe a decade ago. I want, to say it was at Anime Boston.
  • edited November 2012
    Mookie, of Dominic Deegan fame, linked to the Secret Roundtable Discussion episode from Otakon 2006 in his news feed shortly after the episode was posted. As I was (and still am) a fan of the work of everybody on that episode, I thought I'd give it a listen. I've been a faithful listener of the show ever since.
    Post edited by Icenrose on
  • I found out about Geeknights, when I was doing a search for cyberization, and one of the links of the first page was an episode of Geeknights' was on Ghost in the Shell type cyberization.
  • edited February 2013
    My co-worker at Cartridge World turned me on to the show saying and I quote:
    "They're smart, but full of themselves". The rest as they say is history.
    Post edited by spikespiguel1 on
  • Every celebrity is full of themselves to some degree, but it's fun to give them shit about it.
  • edited February 2013
    My co-worker at Cartridge World turned me on to the show saying and I quote:
    "They're smart, but full of themselves". The rest as they say is history.
    Every celebrity is full of themselves to some degree, but it's fun to give them shit about it.
    Shit taken. Please give more shits. Much better than if nobody gave any shits.
    Post edited by Apreche on
  • Maybe I should have made more of an effort to highlight the fact that I do not share my former co-worker's feelings on the matter. Sorry if I offended.
  • Maybe I should have made more of an effort to highlight the fact that I do not share my former co-worker's feelings on the matter. Sorry if I offended.
    Your co-worker is wise. You should pay their words great heed.

• What's funny is that we've always run into a strange "anti-professionalism" vibe, but only at anime conventions. Cons we've staffed chafe at any mention of professionals or professionalism. Even attendees express disdain for panels that are "too professionally done."

Mike and Daryl had trouble getting the video going smoothly at an AB once years ago in the big room at night (they were using three separate laptops). A dude sitting in front of us straight up said he prefers it when people have problems like that at cons.

"It proves they're not professionals. I had professional panels."

He said it like that's something specific to be admired.
  • Also, I'm hugely full of myself.
    Your co-worker is wise. You should pay their words great heed.
    Will do, and thanks for the free entertainment GN and Fast Karate hav gotten me through some base lock downs and command PT.
  • I think people might associate "professional panel" with "person trying to sell you something."
  • I think they feel that "professionals" will talk down to them, or that "professionals" couldn't possibly like video games and anime. They view our interests as purely childish, and anyone trying to be professional about it is taking the fun out of it or something. It's stupid, but they want to feel like conventions are their time to be immature, not acknowledging the potential for intelligent conversation about any number of media.
  • edited February 2013
    Professional implies paid. A person who is paid to do a panel is likely doing it solely for the money. An non-professional presenter is doing it for some other reason, which may be more desirable than a base desire for monetary compensation.

I would prefer that someone who does a panel is doing so for love of the hobby/topic than love of money.

Non-professional does not always equate to having a good reason to be doing a presentation, so viewer beware.
    Post edited by Drunken Butler on
  • edited February 2013
    There's a difference between being a professional, meaning you get paid, and acting like a professional. We are talking about acting like a professional. Just because nobody is paying you to do something means you should fuck it up, or that fucking up is acceptable.
    Post edited by Apreche on
  • Show up in a suit. Have slides prepared. Don't fuck up connecting your laptop to the projector. Have a laptop with you. Start on time. Finish on time. If you're playing video, it just works. Maintain stage presence. Manage the audience.

Basic stuff like that. ;^)
  • edited February 2013
    Hell yeah to all of that. I think the folks you are talking about have drawn a false equivalency between professional behavior and the whole "only in it for the money" thing.

I think it's related to folks bitching about how some band "sold out".

Have you guy's ever done a show about how folks perceive it when bands "sell out" and how that might relate to other niche entertainment, or how fans view amateur efforts as opposed to professional efforts? I think it ties into the whole paid vs unpaid content issue, and it's something I would like to hear your thoughts on.
    Post edited by Drunken Butler on