This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Booh yah!

Comments

• Because you are such a great contributor! The office looks forward to your posts.
    I did not even know that they wrote that. Muse Games has been my sole focus as of late.
  • LOVE is kinda awesome. The whole group is figuring out how to get the basics built and we were all going crazy over the radios.
    edited September 2009
    Moneys for the Alpha? Crap I should keep up with the Quel Solaar blog more.

EDIT: As expected, and told: "Intel users, sorry but intel Graphics hardware has never been supported, I may look in to making a low end build in the future.". I still went and tried to see what it looked like on my Intel graphics card. While only running between 5 and 15 fps, as long as there's not orange/green static foreground scenery it looks good. And the static foreground scenery has something to it. It doesn't work for me in Wine though.
    Post edited by ... on
  • I got turned away once cuz my permit was expired (books are very serious business), but I have a current non-drivers ID now and I am GETTING my library card TODAY, come hell or high water! Watch out, Flushing Public. Soon you'll have no choice but to validate my card, shrinking down behind your tiny librarian desks while I subtly exhibit smug and shallow behavior over you, then you'll have to lend me a book free of charge and wait until my eyes have passed over every singe inkstain on every single page before you get them back!

And I'll also return them on time! You'll have nothing on me! Take THAT!
  • edited September 2009
    And I'll also return them on time! You'll have nothing on me! Take THAT!
    Objection!
    Post edited by Li_Akahi on
  • Objection!
    Overruled! You may continue, Mr Edgeworth.
  • Other than Emily's family, I have no friends, relations, job prospects, or really anything in Rochester. It's far away from every convention I attend or would want to attend except Tora-con. With the Internet, I don't even need Millennium anymore.
    I have a few friends here, and also a COLLEGE.
    Are there many jobs in Rochester? There certainly aren't tech prospects, what with the constant flood of RIT co-ops and graduates.
    Rym is actually right. There are so few tech jobs here it kinda scares me. If I wasn't still working for that startup in California, I wouldn't be able to move here. As I said before, CA money in Rochacha goes a long way.
  • Received my pair of Shure SRH440s in the mail today. My ears are in a different plane of existence, these cans are so excellent.

Also, I finished my paper on the Tokugawa Bakufu a day ahead of schedule (albeit using two of the required four sources only once each), so tonight is pretty much Frosted Flakes, the bibliography and 4 chem problems, The Office, listening to music and chilling with a book and the new headphones (Dan Deacon...oh yes), and then sweet, sweet sleep.
  • @WindUpBird: Those look like they have nice cushioning. I know it isn't the first feature people care about when they get headphones, but decent cushioning is a big selling point with me.
  • @WindUpBird: Those look like they have nice cushioning. I know it isn't the first feature people care about when they get headphones, but decent cushioning is a big selling point with me.
    The cushioning is awesome (I can hardly tell they're on, and whatever foam was used cuts sound amazingly well), and they're monitor quality, so the sound specs are excellent. I'd recommend them to anyone looking for a good set of headphones.
  • I MADE MY OWN MUSTACHE WAX!!! It's got great hold and smells like honey.

For my recipe, I went to the experts. The Handlebar Moustache Club of England.
    I tried the 60/40 (bees wax/Vaseline) but I found it to be too stiff. I added stirred in more Vaseline until I came up with something that worked for me. I ended up with about 50/50 mix. Pictures to follow.
  • Gun show tomorrow. Weeeee! ^_^
  • Gun show tomorrow. Weeeee! ^_^
    You terrify me.
  • Then you're easily terrified. ~_^
  • So, I just got an email today. Here's the story:

When school began, I was very poor and couldn't afford to buy many textbooks, so I was looking for any way to find cheap or free ones. I grabbed my Java book off the internet, found I didn't need some other books, but couldn't do anything about my econ class. So, I thought I'd try my hand at a little social engineering. (NOTE: I don't really feel bad about this. Textbooks overpriced, etc.) I was browsing the publisher's website and I found that they send free copies of their textbooks to instructors who want to evaluate them and use them in their classes. So I emailed them:

"A colleague of mine, Dr. -----, uses and recommends your [econ textbook] in her classes. I'm thinking of using it in conjunction with the Journalism text for a class on practical American political theory, with a focus on Economics and the Media."

(NOTE: Dr. ----- is the name of my actual professor)

Now, I didn't think this would even have the slightest possibility of succeeding. But, because only 5 of our 10 assignments are actually graded, I had some leeway before I'd be forced to buy the full-priced copy. Well, today I got an email back saying they had sent out both textbooks to me, free of charge.

I'd feel bad if I got all of my textbooks this way, but as a one-time thing, I feel pretty awesome.
  • edited October 2009
    Please refrain from posting confessions of fraud in public places using a username that can be associated with you, especially when your email address is in your profile. Use the Bugmenot account.

Other than that, nice work!
    Post edited by Omnutia on
  • Haha. I am well and truly pwnt.

Still, the alias I used to get the textbooks was completely separate from any I've used before. Unless my contact at the textbook publisher reads the forums, in which case I would be surprised and delighted (and would pay them full price for both textbooks if they were good sports about it).
  • if they were good sports about it
    and if they sue you?
  • Please refrain from posting confessions of fraud in public places using a username that can be associated with you, especially when your email address is in your profile.
    Probably a good idea. But man, that is awesome.
  • I wouldn't really call this a personal Booh Yah, but it is definitely significant in my life and one that makes me feel how a booh yah is. Today is the birthday of Mohandas "Mahatma" K. Gandhi. I have nothing but respect for that man.
  • I wouldn't really call this a personal Booh Yah, but it is definitely significant in my life and one that makes me feel how a booh yah is. Today is the birthday of Mohandas "Mahatma" K. Gandhi. I have nothing but respect for that man.
    The episode of Bullshit! on the Dalai Lama, Mother Teresa, and Gandhi ruined me on having very much respect for any of those people.
  • I have to question the credibility of the guy they interviewed about Gandhi.
  • I have to question the credibility of the guy they interviewed about Gandhi.
    I have not seen the episode in question, but it is well-known that Gandhi beat his wife regularly and had extremely misogynistic views on women in Indian culture.
  • edited October 2009
    I finally have a properly functioning wi-fi card. Now I have one less cable to carry around.

You know, I think I need a life.
    Post edited by Diagoras on
  • Kate, you can sleep easier, I bought no guns at the gun show. I did however get my christmas shopping done for my brother and found a much needed butt pad for my rifle. I also found the pistol I want to get, but I need to save up and decide which caliber.
  • butt pad
  • butt pad
    Yes, a butt pad, formally referred to as a recoil buffer. My rifle kicks like a mule so this is very handy.
  • What caliber of rifle? NOTE: If it's less than 7.62, I'm going to make fun of you for using a butt pad. Or probably not. Still, me likes that caliber.
  • When school began, I was very poor and couldn't afford to buy many textbooks, so I was looking for any way to find cheap or free ones.
    I take a different approach; I don't procure textbooks at all.
  • Finally got the last few bits of furniture my apartment needed. It is now fully furnished. Yay! It is also super clean since I spent 7 hours yesterday scrubbing everything possible.