This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Games You are Currently Playing

Comments

• League of Legends is pretty mediocre, and the micro-transactions can give you access to more heroes, and while they are more interesting they're not worth any money IMHO. I'll probably be uninstalling it soon. IF it's between it and DotA in WC3, I'll take DotA.
  • Just Cause 2 is actually really good. I love the grappling hook and parachuting mechanics.
  • Just Cause 2 is actually really good. I love the grappling hook and parachuting mechanics.
    Man, but it's HUGE. Finished the game, cleared 2 faction areas(100% every base and town I found in those areas, but for one, I couldn't find the last crate for the life of me) and I had....just under 39% completion. Jaysus.
  • Just put in a good hour and a half on Dead Space cause the Mets game was too scary and I needed something tamer.
  • Playing Read Dead Redemption.
  • As soon as the profit sharing check comes in, PS3 is happening. I simply must play Red Dead Redemption. It's been getting too much good pub to ignore.
  • Persona 3: FES, which isn't nearly as good as Persona 4 unfortunately, but still good. No More Heroes 2, which has atrocious controls in my opinion, but I'm not too fond of the wiimote + nunchuck control scheme.
  • The demo for Just Cause 2 was a total turn off for me. The controls were horrendously inaccurate and the grappling hook was a nightmare to control.
  • edited May 2010
    The demo for Just Cause 2 was a total turn off for me. The controls were horrendously inaccurate and the grappling hook was a nightmare to control.
    They get that much tighter in the final game, though the hook can still be a little finicky, and there are a few parachute quirks(like, for example, if you spin just right while in the parachute, and get rico pretty much upside down, you GAIN altitude) but overall, it's much more polished.

The did change up the demo from the final game - parts of the demo world don't exist, and in the demo, everything happens about ten times faster, to try and get you experiencing as much gameplay as possible.
    Post edited by Churba on
  • I'm not too fond of the wiimote + nunchuck control scheme
    I went through a long phase where I realized I had been oversold on the accuracy of the wiimote and nunchuck gesture recognition, and simply couldn't power on the Wii in disgust. I know it would make zero financial sense but when the Motion Plus came out I felt like they should send every Wii owner one as an apology. I have recently decided to start playing Wii games again (The bit.trip downloadable series is fantastic), and have a stack of 2 year old Wii games I never opened. I busted out SSX Blur last weekend, and absolutely despise the game. What shocked me more was that most of the reviews at the time gave it 7s or 8s, and chalked up the difficulty in performing tricks to "hardcore gamers only need apply", rather than admitting this was not designed-in difficulty, but rather a shortfall of the hardware. It just goes to show in hindsight how much of a love-affair there was with the Wii when it first launched (myself included).

The other Wii games I have from the launch year that I haven't opened yet are: Mercury Meltdown Revolution, No More Heroes (the first one), Super Paper Mario, and Metroid 3, so hopefully I enjoy most of these and start buying new Wii games again.
  • The origional Zelda. So good it's unbelievable.
  • Super Paper Mario and Metroid Prime 3 are a lot of fun. I would personally scratch Metroid Prime 3 and just buy the whole Trilogy edition for the Wii, unless you absolutely despise FPS' with the Wii, in which case, don't bother.
  • Isn't the trilogy pack out of print now? It had a pretty short run from what I can tell.
  • Isn't the trilogy pack out of print now? It had a pretty short run from what I can tell.
    Yeah, but you can get it.
    Yeah, but you can get it.
    I saw it at a Walmart on the week-end.
  • I saw it at a Walmart on the week-end.
    Our local Walmart still has copies. I've been tempted to pick it up for the day when I finally break down and buy a Wii.

As far as what I've been playing, I picked up Assassin's Creed 2 for the 360 for around $30 not too long back and was plowing through it.

Until Red Dead Redemption released.

Some buddies of mine were geeking out over the multiplayer and I just chalked it up to the usual "squee" effect of a new game releasing, but they kept at me. And being a man who hasn't played an online multiplayer game in bloody forever, I figured what the hell and picked it up.

I highly doubt that AC2 will see the inside of my 360's disc tray any time soon. Or any of my other games, for that matter.

The online component isn't the be-all-end-all and is in fact kinda glitchy. But it's so much fun. And it's a game I can actually play without a barf bucket beside me since it's 3rd person. Sure the single-player game is essentially "Grand Theft Stagecoach", but it's totally scratching an itch I didn't realize I had. I had forgotten how much I love spaghetti westerns and old schlock cowboy movies until I fired this game up.
  • I saw it at a Walmart on the week-end.
    Our local Walmart still has copies. I've been tempted to pick it up for the day when I finally break down and buy a Wii.

As far as what I've been playing, I picked up Assassin's Creed 2 for the 360 for around $30 not too long back and was plowing through it.

Until Red Dead Redemption released.

Some buddies of mine were geeking out over the multiplayer and I just chalked it up to the usual "squee" effect of a new game releasing, but they kept at me. And being a man who hasn't played an online multiplayer game in bloody forever, I figured what the hell and picked it up.

I highly doubt that AC2 will see the inside of my 360's disc tray any time soon. Or any of my other games, for that matter.

The online component isn't the be-all-end-all and is in fact kinda glitchy. But it's so much fun. And it's a game I can actually play without a barf bucket beside me since it's 3rd person. Sure the single-player game is essentially "Grand Theft Stagecoach", but it's totally scratching an itch I didn't realize I had. I had forgotten how much I love spaghetti westerns and old schlock cowboy movies until I fired this game up.
    Yeah, playing Red Dead makes me want to whip out the ol' Deadwood Season One discs. I know a game is great if it makes me want to consume related media. Then again that has it's disadvantages as well, you wouldn't believe the crappy stuff I watched while playing Fallout 3.
  • I missed the boat on buying Bioshock 2 for the 360 for about $8. Now I have to settle for the price of 12.18. That's what happens when you move too slow with your Gamefly coupons :-/
  • On that note, with Valve giving away Portal. Why don't they just let people who install Steam have Half Life 2 and Portal free as a loss leader to get people to install Steam?
  • I also forgot to download Portal :-(
    (Although, not a big deal as I've already played through it. But it's still nice to have another copy)
  • Installed KOTOR because I got it at a jumble sale, it's Star Wars, my friend likes it, and seems to be a bit Mass Effecty. Anyone got any thoughts or know of anything they'd have liked to know going into it?
  • Installed KOTOR because I got it at a jumble sale, it's Star Wars, my friend likes it, and seems to be a bit Mass Effecty. Anyone got any thoughts or know of anything they'd have liked to know going into it?
    I own Kotor and I have played it, but not finished. It's basic bioware rpg, but not as good as the later ones, writing is good, but gameplay is kinda meh. It's BioWare's rpg, if you like those you'll probably like Kotor. For me Mass Effect 2 has been first BioWare rpg I really can say I like.

One thing I really hate in that game is the great GM of the sky to tell me that npc party member looks like he wants to talk and when I try to talk he keeps telling me how he doesn't want to talk. Some party members are horrible whining kids and I hate them.
  • edited June 2010
    Installed KOTOR because I got it at a jumble sale, it's Star Wars, my friend likes it, and seems to be a bit Mass Effecty. Anyone got any thoughts or know of anything they'd have liked to know going into it?
    Erm - Wouldn't it be that Mass Effect is a bit KOTOR-y?

Though, I must admit, I found it a bit annoying that In KOTOR that the combat very rapidly became pointless. It was essentially Play game>Get Lightsaber>Fuck everyone's shit up instantly.
    Post edited by Churba on
  • ..aannndd I'm having real trouble getting it working reliably so it looks like it's not worth it.
  • edited June 2010
    Installed KOTOR because I got it at a jumble sale...
    A good game and very much worth the price paid for it, especially if it was under a tenner (what the game currently retails for on Steam). One of Bioware's better offerings, imnsho. Best tips I could offer are: be sure to install all the patches (especially if you're on Vista/Win7), don't forget that you can pause during combat to issue orders, and in order to get at the best force powers you have to go all-Light or all-Dark. Have a search over at GameFaqs for more in-depth info, because there's tons of little stuff that you can miss if you're not using a FAQ.

If you like the KotoR/ME style of game, I also suggest picking up Jade Empire. It's very much in the same vein, only with kung-fu action instead of space opera. Oh, and if you see KotoR 2 at a sale somewhere, feel free to ignore it unless you want to go through installing a fan-made patch to re-enable the proper last quarter (or so) of the story.
    Post edited by Techparadox on
    In April I visited a town in Montenegro called Kotor, and when I searched for it on google all the first hits were for a video game.
  • GeoGeo
    edited June 2010
    I'm replaying every single one of the Ben Jordan: Paranormal Investigator point and click adventure game series (available for free by the way), since I love that series so damn much and am preparing for the final game that will come out sometime soon. I finished the Case 4: Horror at #50...goddamn does that game never cease to creep me out. I got Churba intensely interested in this as well, and I'm interested in what his reaction will be.

Edit: Next up: Zombies...Osaka...procedural police drama...all in episode 5: Land of the Rising Dead!!
    Post edited by Geo on
  • I got Churba intensely interested in this as well, and I'm interested in what his reaction will be.
    Damn right - this seems right up my alley. Will report back.
  • Grand Theft Horse is pretty awesome.
  • Red Dead Redemption is fucking great. Add spaceships and energy weapons and it would be the perfect Firefly video game.