This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Random Comments

Comments

• I thought only girls could get the HPV vaccine...
    Nope, it prevents all sorts of cancer in both genders, and prevents genital warts as a bonus in guys.
  • edited February 2012
    I need to get the HPV vaccine. That seems quite wise.
    Apparently I'm too old to qualify for it.
    Universal healthcare beaches.

Post edited by Churba on
  • I thought only girls could get the HPV vaccine...
    Guys should get it too as head and neck HPV-related cancer is on the rise in both men (and women too I believe).

• I heard there was a version 2.0 of the vaccine or something that people were waiting for. True/False?
  • edited February 2012
    I heard there was a version 2.0 of the vaccine or something that people were waiting for. True/False?
    Not as far as I know, but I might have just not heard about it. Searching doesn't return anything concrete.

Also, Google, HUD glasses, shut up take my money, yadda yadda yadda.

Post edited by Churba on
  • Also, Google, HUD glasses, shut up take my money, yadda yadda yadda.
    If these come out and work well enough and practically enough, I just might be convinced to ditch my iPhone for an Android phone. Assuming one is needed for this.
  • I was already planning on the switch, but now I'm definitely making it. I'd probably see if I can hack it (even if it meant a daub of latex paint or something) to see if I could disable any sort of "alert" features in the recording mode. The utility of something like a wearable camera is significantly diminished when individuals (i.e., cops) are aware that you're recording.
  • Of course, you DO know what the first app for it will be...

• Here's the thing about the literal Google Goggles. I so want them, assuming they work on their own without an Android phone.

The rumor is that Apple is working on the wristwatch I've always wanted. Get a call on the iPhone, look at your wrist to see who it is. Get an email, look at your wrist. Need to pause the music, touch your wrist. That's what it would take to get me to wear a watch again. If it's true, that will almost certainly require the iPhone. I would love to have both the glasses and the watch. I could be Snow Crashing within a year!
  • Google will have a watch at some point too, Scott. It's inevitable. Also, the exact type of thing you describe is already available, albeit from a third-party.
    How well does that work with iPhone?

• edited February 2012
    I dunno. I didn't look into it, I just found it on some tech blog. Anyway, when Apple comes out with the iWatch, people on Android are going to clamor for it. I'm willing to bet an equivalent product will come out for Android if the watch is successful; the fact that these watches already exist means that there's not really a way for Apple to lock it down with patents.
    Post edited by WindUpBird on
  • I dunno. I didn't look into it, I just found it on some tech blog. Anyway, when Apple comes out with the iWatch, people on Android are going to clamor for it. I'm willing to bet an equivalent product will come out for Android if the watch is successful; the fact that these watches already exist means that there's not really a way for Apple to lock it down with patents.
    Still, iWatch and Google Goggle combination = shut up and take my money.
  • The Google Goggles have an independent data connection, it seems, so it's possible they won't need to interface directly with your phone.
  • edited February 2012
    I need to get the HPV vaccine. That seems quite wise.
    Apparently I'm too old to qualify for it.
    Universal healthcare beaches.
    Heh, I don't think it's a universal healthcare thing (I'm also too old for it in the UK). It's just that for whatever reason, they don't think 35+ year old men should get it.

Oh, and FWIW, I'm too old for it in Australia as well (unless regulations have changed since then).
    Post edited by Dragonmaster Lou on
  • Speaking of HPV, I had to deal with a FB person posting on how they shouldn't get the HPV vaccine because their friends at the dojo had some disturbing side effects and were on the news about it.

I raged so hard and did the best I can to basically tell them that the news byte was completely biased and bullshit and that even the news said that there is NO PROVEN link between whatever his friend went through with the vaccine.
  • Speaking of HPV, I had to deal with a FB person posting on how they shouldn't get the HPV vaccine because their friends at the dojo had some disturbing side effects and were on the news about it.

I raged so hard and did the best I can to basically tell them that the news byte was completely biased and bullshit and that even the news said that there is NO PROVEN link between whatever his friend went through with the vaccine.
    Sounds like standard anti-vax crap in general... I mean, there are people out there talking about vaccines causing autism and stuff...
  • Hospitals smell funny and I do not like them, aside from the fact that people get healed in them.
  • Hospitals? They're full of sick people!
  • My only problem with the idea of the literal Google Goggles is the fact that I already wear glasses, and these do not seem I be something that will be able to be slipped over glasses easily.
  • My only problem with the idea of the literal Google Goggles is the fact that I already wear glasses, and these do not seem I be something that will be able to be slipped over glasses easily.
    I have perfect vision. My problem is I have expensive custom sunglasses that I may not want to wear again. Also, I hope the Google Goggles are also sunglasses, otherwise the sun will hurt my eyes.
  • edited February 2012
    Heh, I don't think it's a universal healthcare thing (I'm also too old for it in the UK). It's just that for whatever reason, they don't think 35+ year old men should get it.

Oh, and FWIW, I'm too old for it in Australia as well (unless regulations have changed since then).
    You do need to pay for it here and in the UK if you're too old to get it free, but it's heavily subsidized. It cost me about forty bucks, and without the subsidies, it'd be over a hundred.
    I have perfect vision. My problem is I have expensive custom sunglasses that I may not want to wear again. Also, I hope the Google Goggles are also sunglasses, otherwise the sun will hurt my eyes.
    I don't have this problem - I think the most expensive sunglasses I've ever owned were 150 bucks, and I didn't pay a cent for them, my mate was going to throw them out because of a scratch on the lens. So, I grabbed them, took them to my local glasses repair joint, and within a few hours, they'd polished out the scratch and re-treated the area so it was the same darkness and polarisation as the rest.

That said, my two main pairs of glasses are a 5 GBP set of aviators I got from a street market when I was hungover, and a $14 dollar pair of Air force aviators.
    Post edited by Churba on
  • I dunno. I didn't look into it, I just found it on some tech blog. Anyway, when Apple comes out with the iWatch, people on Android are going to clamor for it. I'm willing to bet an equivalent product will come out for Android if the watch is successful; the fact that these watches already exist means that there's not really a way for Apple to lock it down with patents.
    Still, iWatch and Google Goggle combination = shut up and take my money.
    Oh manns. You control the glasses using a wristwatch? That would be awesome.
  • Hospitals may smell that way but we do keep spending all our money on wars and banks.
  • I'm going to get contacts just to use Google Goggles. Also, Google just purchased a $150m optics lab; presumably they'll manufacture lenses to order.
  • I'm going to get contacts just to use Google Goggles. Also, Google just purchased a $150m optics lab; presumably they'll manufacture lenses to order.
    Yeah, I was gonna say, there's no way Google will do something like this without having corrective lenses built in.
    Yeah, I was gonna say, there's no way Google will do something like this without having corrective lenses built in.
    Also, given the problems inherent with sunlight and most displays, they'll most likely be sunglasses.

• We're gonna all be Gargoyles, for real.
  • We're gonna all be Gargoyles, for real.
  • Also, given the problems inherent with sunlight and most displays, they'll most likely be sunglasses.
    Not so fond of the idea of being required to wear sunglasses indoors. Any chance they'll be Transitions (or similar) lenses instead?