This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Natural Selection 2

Comments

• It's nice but really odd to go into a game and hear the voice chat consisting of people coaching the rest of the team through the basics.

My commanding notes:
    An observatory should be on the first tier of buildings you create as it lets you know if aliums are sneaking into your base.
    Marines do not work well with static defences, getting shotguns should happen long before sentry guns.
    My marine build strategy is to get an armory, observatory, as many extractors as possible, mines, shotguns, phase tech, and phase gates, ASAP. After that, concentrate on second chair and/or arms lab, depending on if you have a tech point and how many resources you have. Then get the JP/GL/EXO at your leisure. Only build robots after all else is bought to make an ARC train or two. Never build any sentry turrets ever anywhere for any reason. They are a worthless waste of res, and even people at Unknown Worlds say so.
  • edited December 2012
    Marathon game on Mineshaft where I proved once again that healers win wars. I also blew up a whole train of arcs with bile bomb.

Providing your team with an infinite stream of free health is the key to victory!

Also: The gorge is the best at counteracting jetpacks with a combination of hydras and bile, in addition to being the best at breaking up balls of enemies a lurk couldn't penetrate.
    Post edited by Omnutia on
  • edited December 2012
    Started a match on Tram as marines in server room and aliens in warehouse:
    1) Aliens benefit early game from a close spawn, this is one of, if not the, closest spawns possible.
    2) Server room is a hive best suited to aliens as it is tight in with few long lines of sight.
    3) Aliens have the whole left side of the map to gather resources without any marine intervention.

So begins a crash course in how to have the most epic last stand ever and boy did we give them hell. I was welding like a mad thing and constantly scrounging up whatever I could find dropped.
    Teamwork was at it's best and we put whatever we could into improving armour and setting up a second base to give us breathing room, surviving all the way until the enemy team got about three Onoes on the field and trampled us.
  • edited February 2013

Shiffuto channba!
  • Every day someone new discovers the gorge rush.

Watch live video from paeyvn on www.twitch.tv
  • I've rarely, if ever, seen marines spawn in server room and win.
  • edited February 2013
    Playing on Mineshaft and the commander does a good job of taking Central Drilling and Deposit then even takes Sorting but I keep telling him that if you don't take Repair or push on the right side of the map, the aliens' mobility means they have free reign to strike at any of our bases.

They stall us trying to take Cave and then whittle away at our rear while the commander tells me to be quiet; Eventually I give up and go spectate.

Something that has changed since NS1 is that marines can no longer appear in a small base and take a hive late game, which I think is largely due to the fact that while Siege Cannons could be set up wherever, ARCs and Exos have to walk through whatever alien territory is in between. The slow steady creep forward is pretty much the marines' main tactic.
  • Video of a guy going 79-1 as fade, and explaining how.

I think I can do that..

• Gotta watch that, really liked that guys Skulk and especially Lerk videos.
    I have to watch those. My skulking is inconsistent, and my lerking is just bad.
    I have to watch those. My skulking is inconsistent, and my lerking is just bad.
    The lerking videos (it's in two parts) I really liked, it gave nice perspective to lerking and made me want to try it as often as possible.

• Learning the alien movement this time around takes quite a bit of reading up. Even the skulk wall-jump can give you quite an advantage as it gives you a ~50% boost in speed so suddenly that tracking you to shoot becomes harder.
    Also, things like cerelity wearing off the moment you're hit with so much as a pistol shot.
  • Gorge plushies are going to become a reality sometime soon.

• I'm definitely 100% rooting for Nexzil.

1) They are from the USA.
    2) They are playing against Archaea (which is "the evil team")
    3) The start of their team is named "Bitey"
  • Have you seen what Archea does to peole? There are several teams that won't play Archea in public.
  • Have you seen what Archea does to peole? There are several teams that won't play Archea in public.
    I would not in a million years say Nexzil is going to win. I'm just saying that I want them to win.
  • I'd be interested to see them win a round. Also interested to see an NS2 match played on a LAN.
  • I'd be interested to see them win a round. Also interested to see an NS2 match played on a LAN.
    I saw LAN play at the last NS2 event they had there.
  • Is this game for non-Steam or Linux? The Humble Store says I have it, but it only gives me a Steam key, and Steam doesn't have it for Linux.
  • If you set fraps to take a screenshot every 10 seconds, at least one or two of them will end up being interesting.

• I need to get in and start playing this more. And by "more" I mean "at all".
  • edited March 2013
    I used Adobe Bridge to go through all those screenshots that were captured every ten seconds. Here are the ones that stood out.

http://imgur.com/a/zXRJF#0

For the boring one that is just a map, note that the phase gates are arranged in a big beautiful Triforce.
    Post edited by Apreche on
  • Scott, that's a triangle.
    I don't even think it's proper equilateral triangle.
  • Scott, that's a triangle.
    I don't even think it's proper equilateral triangle.
    Yes.
  • edited March 2013
    Read patch notes.
    Told a guy about how bile now breaks down dropped weapons so marines can't pick them up.
    Feel like the cool kid at school who knew all the secrets.

Also: The high ping kicker is good for servers to have as the highest scoring marine on the server I was playing had a ping of 400+ and a K/D of 40-5.