This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

What anime are you watching? v2.0

Comments

• Silver Spoon here as well, love me some slice of life animus.
  • I'd like to get back into Silver Spoon. I see gifs and screengrabs on my twitter feed, and they're really funny.
  • edited September 2013
    Other than Attack on Titan, I'm watching Eccentric Family. I like it more and more with every episode. It's very... Japanese?
    I'm enjoying the series as well. I like it when stories such as this one use traditional mythology and spin it in a modern setting. The secret society of the Tanuki and Tengu living alongside humankind. The entire cast is also likeable and it's fun to watch them interact with each other.

I also really like the art style. It's almost like those Japanese woodblock paintings. The music is fits the series also. I like the end song also. The opening song not so much.

Post edited by Josh Bytes on
  • Same on the Silver Spoon train. I think around the time of Episode 5, the show really hit it's stride. I think this author just knows how to make all the characters dynamic, be them major or minor. And Hatchiken is constantly developing and becoming more accustomed to the farm work. There's just a real sense of understanding and community here. (Also, something in my head thinks that Tamako is almost an anime equivalent of Pam Poovey)
  • Other than Attack on Titan, I'm watching Eccentric Family. I like it more and more with every episode. It's very... Japanese?
    Yeah, but they're handling it very well. I'm just going to stamp it as anime of the season. Just watched a recent episode (the one featuring the ex-fiiance/cousin; yep, this is anime) and it was just fantastic.

I love a story that seems to have the way its world and timeline works nailed down.
  • DANG IT GENSHIKEN WHY YA GOTTA MAKE ME SO EMOTIONAL
  • I know right!
    I just started watching the original Genshiken and I am surprised at the amount of character development Sasahara went through through all the shows, and now with Madarade.
    I am sad that the show is almost over, but at least now I can re-watch the whole series as whole.
  • Oh man, it opens on my birthday!
  • Been getting caught up with Monogatari. The cat girl/tiger arc dragged a bit to long. But I really enjoyed watching Araragi and Shinobu quest to save the snail girl. The last episodes have been recaps of the previous seasons. Which I don't mind. I had forgotten about the girl with the snake curse.
  • Watched the first of the GitS: Arise OVAs. It's Stand Alone Complex writing with movie-quality animations. It was awesome.
  • Watched the first of the GitS: Arise OVAs. It's Stand Alone Complex writing with movie-quality animations. It was awesome.
    Waiting for it all to be out, just like with Eva movies and Gundam unicorn.
  • edited September 2013
    Been getting caught up with Monogatari. The cat girl/tiger arc dragged a bit to long. But I really enjoyed watching Araragi and Shinobu quest to save the snail girl. The last episodes have been recaps of the previous seasons. Which I don't mind. I had forgotten about the girl with the snake curse.
    Episodes? I guess that's technically correct, but come on. It's 1 recap episode after each arc, just because the first episode of the third arc starts out with "THIS IS HOW WE GOT TO THIS POINT" doesn't make it a recap because none of the material has been shown before.

And second arc so good. 20-something year old Hachikuji too cool.
    Watched the first of the GitS: Arise OVAs. It's Stand Alone Complex writing with movie-quality animations. It was awesome.
    What about the Madoka trilogy?
    Post edited by Not nine on
    What about the Madoka trilogy?I've ignored it because isn't it just a compilation of the TV show?
  • Isn't the third one going to be new material?
  • edited September 2013
    First two are. The third is going to be new content.
    EDIT: Ninja'd by cheese
    Post edited by Greg on
  • First two are. The third is going to be new content.
    EDIT: Ninja'd by cheese
    What the hell can it possibly be?
  • I watched the last episode of both Genshiken Nidaime and Free! last night. Too many feelings for one night.
  • The summer anime have wrapped up, but I have not finished watching any of them! I blame Korra.
  • Now that Attack on Titan is done (for now), and I've already finished other great shows like Shin Sekai Yori, I'm working solely through Eccentric Family. When that's done, probably GitS.
  • That's a nice meal on your plate.
  • It seems that only anime from last season that I watched fully every week as it came out was Danganronpa. If I continue like this, the next season I only watch BlazBlue and soon after that only anime I watch is shitty video-game adaptations.
  • I actually finished Danganronpa as well. Super ridiculous show, but I dug it enough to watch. I had fun with it.

I haven't played the game, but would you count it as a "shitty" adaptation? I imagine that this is pretty much how the game plays out, just with more time to look at clues.
  • I actually finished Danganronpa as well. Super ridiculous show, but I dug it enough to watch. I had fun with it.

I haven't played the game, but would you count it as a "shitty" adaptation? I imagine that this is pretty much how the game plays out, just with more time to look at clues.
    It's pretty faithful adaptation and that's it's biggest problem. It pretty much directly takes scenes and script from the game and then to save time cuts it up, sometimes and too often in not optimal way. One of the problems I had with the game was that the characters didn't really get interesting until quite late and the anime made it even worse because it never had time to slow down and just have some not plot critical character interactions.

I'm actually surprised to hear that you liked it without having played the game. For me much of enjoyment came from seeing all of the cool scenes from the game with full voice acting and sometimes even animation, but it felt like it would have been lacking without the knowledge from the game.

• I don't know if this could've been made into a better adaptation. Make it 2 seasons, maybe? I think it worked well enough for what it is. There are less than a handful of characters I cared about. I took it as a slasher story mixed with Ace Attorney, not expecting much character development.
  • I don't know if this could've been made into a better adaptation. Make it 2 seasons, maybe?
    Yea, I'm not sure if it could have been adapted perfectly. 2 seasons would have had the opposite problem of being too slow and taking too long. Potentially some kind of OVA series that isn't restricted with TV-season lengths could have found the optimal length and pace. Alternatively they could and probably should have just do more adapting and actually changed and rewritten things instead of just cutting out anything that they can and moving rest directly from game to the anime.

Sure it probably was entertaining, but I don't think it too highly as individual thing.

• Just watched Pokemon: The Origin. It was an enjoyable little thing!

On another note: I swear if CrunchyRoll doesn't stream Ippo: Rising I'm going to FREAK OUT.