This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

What anime are you watching? v2.0

Comments

• I watch Eccentric Family! Love it.

I'm also keeping up with Blood Lad, Watamote, and Servant X Service.
  • Yeah, i don't know what i was expecting...
  • So... just to make sure, is nobody else here watching Eccentric Family?
    I watched the first two episodes when they were what was available on crunchyroll and I am ashamed that I forgot to keep up with it.
  • Started watching Space Battleship Yamato 2199 last night. Man, is it good! Granted, I'm about as big a Yamato/Starblazers fanboy as you'll find anywhere, but this is one damned good science fiction show, period.
  • The plan.

a) Get extremely drunk.
    b) Watch Mad Bulll 34.

What's the worst that could happen?
  • The plan.

a) Get extremely drunk.
    b) Watch Mad Bulll 34.

Recreating the grenade scene?
  • The plan.

a) Get extremely drunk.
    b) Watch Mad Bulll 34.

I don't think your body will survive the amount of alcohol needed to get past step a.
  • The plan.

a) Get extremely drunk.
    b) Watch Mad Bulll 34.

I showed it to my Anime soc after the pub, we proceeded to ambush people shouting "ah its ah Booby Wong!". Nothing bad will come of it. Stream it thought it would be amusing.
  • edited August 2013
    So I found this list online which is basically a "Build your own Sailor Moon Kai" episode list that cuts the list of Sailor Moon episodes in half (from 200 to 94) so I'm doing that.
    Post edited by Conan-San on
  • So I found this list online which is basically a "Build your own Sailor Moon Kai" episode list that cuts the list of Sailor Moon episodes in half (from 200 to 94) so I'm doing that.
    Man, I can't do that. I wouldn't feel like I actually watched it.

Anyway, I did watch Steins;Gate -- which is all I feel I need to say about that, since I livetweeted it. The TL;DR is that I can understand how it could be a good visual novel, but the anime does all the wrong things in the adaptation. Kinda want to play it, though, just to see what happens to Ruko and Rumiho (I refuse to use her stage name).

I also watched Psycho-Pass. Lots of lost potential there. I really wanted to get some stories from the criminal point of view (or at the very least, some civilians), but instead the Sibyl System was just kind of assumed to be good until the big reveal (which wasn't all that big, tbh). Also, what happened to that resistance movement in ep 13? They were the best characters (Spookie Boogie not withstanding) and were completely left out after that episode. I'm mad. Hope to see more of them in season 2.

Oh, and I finally watched the last Shinkai that I hadn't seen, 5 cm/s.
  • I think that Robotics;Notes would be a rather more satisfying series than Steins;gate.
  • Not in my experience. But to each their own.
  • edited August 2013
    Not in my experience. But to each their own.
    Well, to me, being more satisfying than Steins;Gate is a pretty low bar, but as has been long established, I've got some strange tastes.
    Post edited by Churba on
  • edited August 2013
    Anyway, I did watch Steins;Gate -- which is all I feel I need to say about that, since I livetweeted it. The TL;DR is that I can understand how it could be a good visual novel, but the anime does all the wrong things in the adaptation. Kinda want to play it, though, just to see what happens to Ruko and Rumiho (I refuse to use her stage name).
    You sure you watched it properly? Or did you spend the entire fucking show going "I can see how this could be a Visual Novel"? Watching an anime that way sounds like the worst possible way. And how does it do all the wrong things in the adaptation? You admit to not even having played it, so how would you know anything about the adaptation doing the wrong things? The side characters will have to suffer being the side characters and not getting an in-depth ending to their stories.
    I also watched Psycho-Pass. Lots of lost potential there. I really wanted to get some stories from the criminal point of view (or at the very least, some civilians), but instead the Sibyl System was just kind of assumed to be good until the big reveal (which wasn't all that big, tbh). Also, what happened to that resistance movement in ep 13? They were the best characters (Spookie Boogie not withstanding) and were completely left out after that episode. I'm mad. Hope to see more of them in season 2.
    I still haven't finished that show up. It just bored me too much where I just forgot to watch the next episode. The plot reveals just weren't interesting at all.
    I think that Robotics;Notes would be a rather more satisfying series than Steins;gate.
    The anime or the visual novel? They're mostly unrelated in terms of what I watched of Robotics;Notes the anime. Didn't follow that for more than a handful of episodes. The main character just wasn't anywhere near as interesting as our lovable MADDO SCIENTIST KYOUMA!
    Post edited by Not nine on
  • I completely missed season five of Venture Brothers. Wut?
  • edited August 2013
    The anime or the visual novel? They're mostly unrelated in terms of what I watched of Robotics;Notes the anime. Didn't follow that for more than a handful of episodes. The main character just wasn't anywhere near as interesting as our lovable MADDO SCIENTIST KYOUMA!
    Manga of course. The VN is (as far as I know) as of yet untranslated, and I know you know I know that you know I rarely watch anime. The last thing I watched was Kids on the slope, which was the first thing I'd watched since either Bebop or Black Lagoon, whichever I'd watched more recently.
    Post edited by Churba on
  • Anyway, I did watch Steins;Gate -- which is all I feel I need to say about that, since I livetweeted it. The TL;DR is that I can understand how it could be a good visual novel, but the anime does all the wrong things in the adaptation. Kinda want to play it, though, just to see what happens to Ruko and Rumiho (I refuse to use her stage name).
    You sure you watched it properly? Or did you spend the entire fucking show going "I can see how this could be a Visual Novel"? Watching an anime that way sounds like the worst possible way. And how does it do all the wrong things in the adaptation? You admit to not even having played it, so how would you know anything about the adaptation doing the wrong things? The side characters will have to suffer being the side characters and not getting an in-depth ending to their stories.
    No, I didn't even know it was a visual novel until I started reading the TV Tropes page on it after I finished it. And I can tell it adapted it poorly because it has all the symptoms of a poorly adapted work. Unnecessary main characters, unsatisfying side plots, unclear plot points (they never said what Steins Gate is, why they're trying to get to it, or why it has a semicolon) -- it's not that I know what they should have done here specifically, but I've seen enough poor adaptations of books to be able to spot them.
  • I think that last question can be answered with "It looks cool."
  • I think that last question can be answered with "It looks cool."
    The usual answer is "Because Japan."

I think Stein's Gate comes up in the anime maybe twice? I don't remember it being mentioned often, but I do think it was explained somewhat.

• Genshiken 2 and The Eccentric Family are current favorites of this season. I do miss how in Genshiken when it was mostly guys they all had different otaku fandoms that they were into. With the share experience of watching Kujibiki Unbalance. The now mostly female club seem to be only into yaoi and cosplay. I still like it though.
  • Stein's Gate isn't exactly important to understand for the plot. It IS the plot, but you don't really need a name for it. The end goal is a happily ever after ending. That's what they want... and can't seem to get.

Consequences and paradoxes and crazy personalities... because Japan.
  • edited August 2013
    No, I didn't even know it was a visual novel until I started reading the TV Tropes page on it after I finished it. And I can tell it adapted it poorly because it has all the symptoms of a poorly adapted work. Unnecessary main characters, unsatisfying side plots, unclear plot points (they never said what Steins Gate is, why they're trying to get to it, or why it has a semicolon) -- it's not that I know what they should have done here specifically, but I've seen enough poor adaptations of books to be able to spot them.
    Wot? Are you serious? Is this yolk? My Little Forum Member Can't Be This Dense. Name 1, one, unnecessary main character. In before you name a side character. In before you name a main character that's plot critical for the whole set of plot devices to work. Unsatisfying side plots? Eh, I'll give you that, barely. Because who the hell didn't fucking expect that from a visual novel with a gazillion females to romance in their own route. Of course they're going to do some fanservice to the visual novel fans to keep them glued to the television and paying money for Blur-rays. And if there's not enough females to romance we'll make more WITH SCIENCE! Then again, the side plots were pretty non-existent if you ask me, so really they did a pretty damn good at adapting it for a single main story show.

And those unclear plot points is just you either not understanding shit, and/or just grasping at things. The Steins;Gate is NOT a plot point. It's literally Kyouma being Kyouma, instead of Okarin. The why you ask is probably the dumbest thing. Have you not watched the first episodes of the show at all? Did you already forget the entire plot setup? Do you just not have any grasp on the most basic and simplest time travel plot of UNDO EVERYTHING? And that last one is just because Japan/it's part of a 'series' of visual novels whose only connection to each other is a namedrop or two in the next one. Woopti-fucking-doo. Also Kyouma being Kyouma. Also:
    I think that last question can be answered with "It looks cool."
    but now we're just repeating.

Funny yolk calling visual novels 'books' by the dubs.
    Manga of course. The VN is (as far as I know) as of yet untranslated, and I know you know I know that you know I rarely watch anime. The last thing I watched was Kids on the slope, which was the first thing I'd watched since either Bebop or Black Lagoon, whichever I'd watched more recently.
    Churba, this comment makes no sense in the context of my post. I asked the question following your comment about:
    I think that Robotics;Notes would be a rather more satisfying series than Steins;gate.
    Which led me to believe you read the synopsis/wiki blurb of the two shows or visual novels and gave your opinion on that. After all, "I think" and "would be" makes it sound like that is all you worked with, which is something you'd do. So that's all your fault for making me believe you hadn't consumed a shred of either story.

And yes, I know you mostly stick to reading manga, even if they're adaptations of adaptations of adaptations with characters that are completely unrelated and non-existent in any of the previous iterations. No reason for either of us to be reiterating that, right?
    Post edited by Not nine on
  • edited August 2013
    Churba, this comment makes no sense in the context of my post. I asked the question following your comment about:

Which led me to believe you read the synopsis/wiki blurb of the two shows or visual novels and gave your opinion on that. After all, "I think" and "would be" makes it sound like that is all you worked with, which is something you'd do. So that's all your fault for making me believe you hadn't consumed a shred of either story.
    Nope. I read Stiens;Gate. Didn't find it terribly satisfying either. Robotics;Notes seems more satisfying so far, but hey, that could change, the translation I'm reading isn't very far along.
    After all, "I think" and "would be" makes it sound like that is all you worked with, which is something you'd do. So that's all your fault for making me believe you hadn't consumed a shred of either story.

And yes, I know you mostly stick to reading manga, even if they're adaptations of adaptations of adaptations with characters that are completely unrelated and non-existent in any of the previous iterations. No reason for either of us to be reiterating that, right?
    Post edited by Churba on
    All said and done, don't let me stop you though!
  • It begins.

I'm ten minutes in. Holy fuck. Three deaths, two of which were decapitations, and the titcount is currently at over a dozen. Christ.
  • Are you counting individual tits or pairs?

• Wot? Are you serious? Is this yolk? My Little Forum Member Can't Be This Dense. Name 1, one, unnecessary main character.
    Daru. Dude served no purpose but to McGuffin the McGuffin. Narratively, everything he did could've just been done by Mad Scientist Kyouma with no change but the removal of a terrible character.
    who the hell didn't fucking expect that from a visual novel with a gazillion females to romance in their own route.
    People who thought they were watching an anime, not a Best of The Visual Novel montage.
    the side plots were pretty non-existent
    Now, I don't even know how to approach this comment. Care to elaborate?
    And those unclear plot points is just you either not understanding shit, and/or just grasping at things. The Steins;Gate is NOT a plot point. It's literally Kyouma being Kyouma, instead of Okarin. The why you ask is probably the dumbest thing. Have you not watched the first episodes of the show at all? Did you already forget the entire plot setup? Do you just not have any grasp on the most basic and simplest time travel plot of UNDO EVERYTHING? And that last one is just because Japan/it's part of a 'series' of visual novels whose only connection to each other is a namedrop or two in the next one.
    See, I got that all that shit was the objective, but I never got that it was called Steins;Gate. I figured that it wasn't important, because I didn't even ask that question until the last episode.
  • I can't believe Steins;Gate is being called a terrible port of a visual novel when Amnesia exists.

I also don't think Daru's a useless character. He's comic relief!
  • Aaaaaaaaaand we can't take anymore. Christ, that fucking show.
  • Aaaaaaaaaand we can't take anymore. Christ, that fucking show.
    Did you get to pube-greneades?