This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

What anime are you watching? v2.0

Comments

• edited September 2013

Yes, there certainly are much better gaming and culture sites than Kotaku and the Gawker family. Most of what I like about Kotaku are simply links to work someone else accomplished.

No, this show doesn't make me feel shitty (not completely), and if you made a show starring someone with any other mental disorder, I may or may not enjoy it. That would all depend on presentation.

From the presentation made in Watamote, I see the dork being made into the main character. I have no idea where it's going. It could actually work out for the best, it could become worse, or just keep going as it. I see this girl as a loser who could be a winner if she just zigged where she should've zagged.

One of her "triumphant" moments was when
    Tomako wants to see the fireworks on the same roof she did with her friend. She doesn't go with friends, but she happens to be on the roof at the same time as a couple of junior high students. She speaks up for a change, and they not only witness the fireworks, but, uh, some other fireworks.

Post edited by VichusSmith on
  • edited September 2013
    imageTsuchida is beginning his career as a kindergarten teacher at Hanamaru Kindergarten. On the way to his first day there, he see's a little girl waiting on the street all alone. Stopping to make sure she's okay, the little girl (Anzu) thinks he's chatting her up. After the girl tells him that her mother will be right back, he leaves her to continue on his way, confident in her safety. Of course, that little girl is one of his students and is now convinced that she's going to marry him. When Tsuchida gets to work, he falls in love with one of his coworkers, Yamamoto.
    Anzu goes to a kindergarten with her friends, the shy Koume and the eccentric Hiiragi. Together they try to attract attention from their teacher Tsuchida. However, he is clearly more interested in the pretty Yamamoto who supervises the class next door.

The show generally has two stories going on at any one time; the story of the children (primarily Anzu and her friends) and of the adults (Primarily Tsuchida and the other kindergarten teachers). They happen concurrently and are often a means to show the audience a single event from the two groups' perspectives. You get the view of the action from a little kids limited, but more nuanced perspective and from the adults' broader, more experienced, but sometimes more jaded view.

If you read the wikipedia article, you would think this is a harem show and a rather creepy one at that. It is, in fact, nothing of the sort. This is a good, light hearted show. There is no harem aspect of this show because not even one of the women in the show views Tsuchida as a love interest. The only exception is Anzu but it is certainly not reciprocated. Tsuchida just looks at like "Eh, little kids are little kids".

It's a decent show but, like many slice of life shows, while it could technically go on forever (and you may in fact want it to), it ended and the ending wasn't a resolution of any sort. The guy doesn't get the girl and the dynamic of the show hasn't really changed since the fourth or fifth episode. You do learn more about the characters and they have a little character development, but their development arcs are short and shallow; the climax is low and they don't really walk away from their "trials" that much different.

Of all of the characters, Koume develops the most. She starts off as a paralyzed-by-shyness little girl but, over the course of the 13 episodes, becomes much more open due to several trials. It's almost as if she's the author's favorite. Tsuchida also get's some development, but it's really due more to introspection and internal angst than any change in circumstances and what he gets doesn't really change him either; he basically just has to snap out of a funk.

My favorite character in the show is Hiiragi. She is a genius of a little girl and is constantly seen reading books that most of the adults in the show wouldn't even touch. In Anzu's little trio, she is the smartest and wisest. That being said, even with all that intelligence, she does think like a kindergartner (for comparison, look at Doogie Howser), but this just serves to make her more endearing.

The show's comedic points and writing are done well. It's to the point where your reaction to a situation will come moments before one of the character's having a similar (if not the exact same) reaction. Also, each ending song and animation is different and is done in a different style. A lot of work was put into them and I found myself watching them over again just to admire and analyze the different artistic styles.

Hanamaru Kindergarten is a solid comedic slice-of-life anime that doesn't have any glaring flaws, but a few little ones. It's not a big blockbuster slice-of life like Lucky Star or Nichijou but, if you're looking for a palate cleanser between all of those mega popular action/drama/thrillers you people like to watch, this is a good candidate.
    Post edited by Victor Frost on
  • edited September 2013
    No, this show doesn't make me feel shitty (not completely), and if you made a show starring someone with any other mental disorder, I may or may not enjoy it. That would all depend on presentation.
    Then you're missing my point, possibly intentionally, because I'm pretty sure I was clear about what the purpose of that was.

So let me be absolutely clear: Let's look at a show like Watamote, but where someone with Downs syndrome(or something similar) is the butt of every joke, exclusively because they have Downs Syndrome. The presentation is irrelevant, because it's presented exactly the fucking same as Watamote - I think you can agree, no matter if you think it's for good or ill, Tamoko and her condition is the source of the comedy in watamote - the jokes are just tailored a little to suit - since making jokes about crippling mental illness don't work if your target doesn't have that illness. Or maybe anorexia and body dysmorphia, since that's more mental than genetic.

Then, after imagining that, do a little internal check - would watching that feel bad? Do you think that wouldn't be okay? Do you think that would actually gain a justifiable negative reaction from people? If Yes, then you should be realizing right about then why I'm objecting to Watamote.
    From the presentation made in Watamote, I see the dork being made into the main character.
    Holy fuck what do you think someone is like if they're a little bit dorky? This is like seeing someone with a compound fracture, all blood and poking out through the skin and such, then saying "Well, that looks like a bit of a sprain, might want to get an ice pack on it."

When I say she's got got a psychological disorder, this isn't hyperbole, it's because if you want a working character synopsis for Tamoko, you can simply take DSM-5 300.23 and change the language to sound less clinical. Oh, and add how old she is and which school she goes to.

Seriously, Here's the DSM entry for version four, which is essentially identical. Tell me that's not her to the letter, and I'll damn you as a liar.

(Edit: To clarify, the problem there is not that it's present in the character, but that it IS the character. Tamoko is not a character WITH this disorder, she's practically this disorder personified.)
    Perhaps your knowledge of the manga makes it clear that this is not going to happen, but from the first few episodes of the anime it was not.
    Unless they make a drastic divergence from the manga, that's pretty much the case. She doesn't ever improve, at best, she's exactly as ill, but just in different ways.
    Post edited by Churba on
  • edited September 2013
    Yall's discussion got me interested in Watamote so I watched the first three episodes. Here are my thoughts. The show is very well directed and has great comedic timing so I understand why so many people like it. I think the what's dividing people on whether its offensive is how seriously one views social anxiety and whether it can be "cured." Watamote's stance is that Kuroki's social anxiety is mostly self-inflicted. It her quick to morally judge others attitude that prevents her from making friends. She can't help but think the worst of people because she's wallowing in self pity. Even after spending an entire day of fun with her only friend, Kuroki only feels betrayed because her friend got a boyfriend first. The show is an inversion of a shoujo story where a loveable character is being bullied by an unjust world; Kuroki is a unlovable character in a basically good world. She's just blind by the opportunities and connections that the this world is offering her.

I think the author is attempting to use Kuroki as a mirror to those antisocial anime misfits there to say that its not the world that has the problem, its how you are viewing it. That's the point of the title, its Kuroki's blaming everyone but herself for her problems. How can Kuroki make friends with people when she view them all as shallow sluts? Her attitude is similar to those male anime fans obsessed with their waifu's purity but lament that they've never had sex. Obviously social anxiety is more complicated than the feel good message Watamote is promoting. Like Churba is saying, if you view social anxiety on the same level as autism, its not funny. The key to whether you view Watamote funny is whether you think Kuroki is at least somewhat at fault. From the episodes I've seen, I think she is. The audience is meant to root for her because we see that she has the capacity for change, but laughs and cringes when she fails because it was her fault. She's not a completely unlikable character though. She shows some care towards her brother when she takes care of him and when she hangs out with her friend. She's meant to be somewhat cute in her awkward attempts at social interaction but in a less artificial way than a show like Kimi ni Todoke. We root for her, knowing that she'll fail but hoping that she'll succeed the next time.
    Post edited by Fundefined on
  • An interesting and fair opinion. I think it's pretty obvious that I'd disagree, but you'd be wrong - while I do view it the way I do, I can understand that you may find it funny if you feel that it's her fault. Not an opinion I share, but one I understand quite well.
  • edited September 2013
    ...I think you can agree, no matter if you think it's for good or ill, Tamoko and her condition is the source of the comedy in watamote
    Yes, how Tomako interacts with the rest of society is what Watamote's about.

If you gave me a show about any physical or mental illness and you made a comedy about it, I would watch it, and hope that I found it funny. I've heard and seen some pretty tragic or harsh topics turned into comedy. Funny stuff!

I think Fundefined slam dunked it, so I'm not even going to bother saying more about this. I'm just going to go wait for new episodes of Watamote.

Taking it back to what I'm watching, I searched out Welcome to the NHK, and it's on Hulu, luckily. I only got to episode 4 back in the day.
  • edited September 2013
    I think Fundefined slam dunked it, so I'm not even going to bother saying more about this. I'm just going to go wait for new episodes of Watamote.
    Excuse me, slam dunked fuckin' what? A matter of completely subjective opinion about a fuckin' cartoon? If having a different opinion and being able to elaborate on it is a slam dunk, then holy fuck, call me Michael Jordan. You can even be Le Bron, if you want, since we're apparently all up to our arses in slam-dunks, since that's exactly what we've been doing for about a page-worth now.

Have a different opinion all you like, but don't act like the fact you can explain your opinion - or someone else explaining well an opinion you agree with - makes your opinion right and true. It's just high-handed smug bullshit.
    If you gave me a show about any physical or mental illness and you made a comedy about it, I would watch it, and hope that I found it funny. I've heard and seen some pretty tragic or harsh topics turned into comedy. Funny stuff!
    If you think my problem is that it's a comedy about a mental illness, then I think you've mistaken me. I'm pretty sure I was absolutely explicit on the point, but let's repeat for the third or fourth time - my problem with the show is not - I repeat, IS NOT - that it's a comedy about mental illness. To be perfectly honest, I've written and performed comedy for long enough that I'm pretty sure there's few sacred cows that I've not taken a few bites out of, to use an old, old metaphor - if that was my problem, it'd be so hypocritical that even my low standards wouldn't allow it. The problem is how it's targeted and how that comedy is handled. I'm not sure I can be clearer than this, but then again, I thought that the last time I made the point.
    Like Churba is saying, if you view social anxiety on the same level as autism, its not funny.
    It's a good point, but not what I'm saying. Though I suppose it could be close to one point, depending on how you interpret "On the same level as autism."

Post edited by Churba on
  • Maybe I should've explained. By "slam dunked" I was complimenting him on how he worded his reaction towards Watamote; I feel he did a good job of it and I don't need to tack on anymore.

Oh, you're a comedian.

IS Watamote even a comedy about mental illness? Would the creators call it that? Do they see it as that? I know mangaka often have their notes at the end of their books, so do they address mental illness whatsoever?

Your issue with Watamote is that this supposedly mentally ill person is being laughed at, rather than being funny in a more comfortable context. Is that correct?
  • I've only read issues of Watamote, but the main jist of the comedy is laughing at this girl because her social anxieties get the better of her. Sometimes in very creative ways, but knowing people who can be that nervous just creates a very black comedy. It's definitely Japan covering awkward humor which I appreciate, but the show follows another substantial flaw I see in comedic animes. A character is designed with specific quirks or foible and all of the comedy and of all the character's actions are designed based off those flaws. And that shit gets old after a couple of episodes. This is probably a stretch, but it's almost like I see Sheldon in the big bang theory. He might have the potential to make me laugh or have redeemable moments, but 95% of the time he's completely unlikeable.

Good comedy about crippling mental issues? Wilfred (That'd be an amusing anime...)
  • edited September 2013
    Maybe I should've explained. By "slam dunked" I was complimenting him on how he worded his reaction towards Watamote; I feel he did a good job of it and I don't need to tack on anymore.
    Fair enough. I've not seen it used in that way before, so pardon my confusion.
    Oh, you're a comedian.
    Among other things and mostly not professionally, but it's something I've dabbled in.
    IS Watamote even a comedy about mental illness? Would the creators call it that? Do they see it as that? I know mangaka often have their notes at the end of their books, so do they address mental illness whatsoever?
    Hard to say. End notes often left untranslated unless they're little unrelated omakes. I don't recall seeing any in English for Watamote. But I might be wrong.

That said, it depends where you draw the line, I suppose. I'm going by the DSM for looking at Tamoko - which would indicate as such, If it walks, looks, quacks, and shits like a duck, y'know?

But then we(most likely) run into a similar problem as Sheldon from Big Bang theory - The most overtly autistic/aspie character that we've ever seen on TV, which the creators say isn't Autistic and doesn't have Aspergers. He just acts EXACTLY like it.

Some people clearly don't feel the same, and feel that she's just very awkward. But really, it's hard to say if either side is right, considering the lack of conclusive proof in the work or Word of God on either side.
    Your issue with Watamote is that this supposedly mentally ill person is being laughed at, rather than being funny in a more comfortable context. Is that correct?
    Not exactly, but it's closer than the last attempt. Though I take issue with supposedly. We can victim-blame all day about how it's her fault because she thinks nasty thoughts(Reminds me of growing up Irish catholic) but again, I point to the DSM, and say that if it looks, smells, sounds and is otherwise identical to a duck, it's probably a duck.
    I've only read issues of Watamote, but the main jist of the comedy is laughing at this girl because her social anxieties get the better of her. Sometimes in very creative ways, but knowing people who can be that nervous just creates a very black comedy. It's definitely Japan covering awkward humor which I appreciate, but the show follows another substantial flaw I see in comedic animes. A character is designed with specific quirks or foible and all of the comedy and of all the character's actions are designed based off those flaws. And that shit gets old after a couple of episodes.
    Yep. Oh no she's awkward again. How's she going to go in this situation? Dollars do doughnuts, she'll be awkward and tally up another social failure. And if she changes and gets better? No more show.
    This is probably a stretch, but it's almost like I see Sheldon in the big bang theory. He might have the potential to make me laugh or have redeemable moments, but 95% of the time he's completely unlikeable.
    Not a huge stretch, in abstract. While their problems are different, it's a similar character type.
    Good comedy about crippling mental issues? Wilfred (That'd be an amusing anime...)
    Oh, that'd be a good anime. The American one, at least, in the Australian version, he's just a completely normal dude who sees a talking dog for reasons unexplained.
    Post edited by Churba on
  • I just went with the first expression that came to my head. You're right that it doesn't work well with what I meant. "Hit it out of the park?" "Hit the sweet spot?" Ahh, it was better to just speak plainly.

Is the mental illness in Wilfred crippling? I think if the main dude starts becoming like his mom, then he's off the deep end.

If I get sick of Watamote, I will make sure to mention it. As of now, I still dig it.

• Is the mental illness in Wilfred crippling? I think if the main dude starts becoming like his mom, then he's off the deep end.
    Well in the American Version, the guy is on the brink of suicide and constantly questions the morals of everything he does and what Wilfred influences him to do.
  • edited September 2013
    I'm waiting to see where they go with it. The last season's cliffhanger is opening up some new questions.

I don't think he's going to go totally bonkers, because he needs some sort of redemption. You are right; it all started out with a pitifully failed suicide. He didn't start out on the right foot to begin with.
  • Jesus Harold fucking Christ in the ass. Get this fucking soup of horseshit and piss out of here. Or at least drown the unbridled twat in it.
  • I think he is referring to Watamote or Wilfred or both.
  • Did someone say something?
  • Do note, ladies and gentlemen, THAT is how you swear properly.
  • I am really enjoying the dynamic interaction on the new Genshiken series.
    The new characters are endearing, and I can see an evolution from the character's from the previous season.
  • I fucking love the new Genshiken.
  • Poor Madarame.
  • I'm not posting in the Attack on Titan thread because I don't want to know what will happen next.

Last Thursday, I watched the first 9 episodes prior to going to PAX. Yeah. I can see why people like it so much. I tweeted about my various thoughts on how I really disliked all the people who were negative nancies. Then episode 5 happened. Then 8. I screamed at the end of 8. Then 9 had a good ending.

Haven't had much time to watch the rest, but I want to get Jeremy into, but he's been busy with his game making. I look forward to having a lot of "WTF" or table flipping moments.
  • Poor Madarame.
    I haven't seen yesterday's ep yet, but dang I hope he gets together with Hato-chan.
  • I caught up with Gatchaman Crowds and its a very interesting show. Its definitely self aware of its flaws but that doesn't stop its flaws from lowering my score for it. Hajime can be insufferably annoying and its even more annoying that the show makes her be in the right on everything. At first glance, what she's saying seems to be wise but if you give it a little bit of thought, you'd realize her outlook on life is shallow and pretty ignorant. I understand the show is trying make her into the simple wisdom archetype who is dismissed as idiotic at first but they went too far in how much of a space cadet she is.

It also has tonal issues between the Hajime's personality/the art direction vs. how dark the show can get sometimes which I think is intentional. Its not too jarring but it'd be less noticeable if they had transitions between sadistic violence and quirky DIY magic sparkle time.

The ideas of the show are cool enough to consider watching it. The idea of GALAX's super social network being used to connect citizens to each others crises instead of relying on the authorities is really cool. The exploration of whether a society needs heroes to better itself is also very interesting. Rui's monologue in episode 5 was an excellent scene exploring whether altruism can lead to a bloodless revolution. Gatchaman Crowds is very similar to Eden of the East in its ideas but its doing it in much greater depth. The EotE system was cool but never that useful to the plot whereas the GALAX/CROWDS system actually is. So far, I'd rate Gatchaman Crowdmans 7/10, very enjoyable but it has enough hiccups to erk me from rubmerging myself into its universe.
  • Watched my first episode of Yozokura Quartet. I'm definitely enamored. There are only 12 episodes available on Hulu, but I don't know how many there are.
  • Just finished the 9th episode of the new Genshiken and I'm FREAKING OUT.
  • edited September 2013
    Silver Spoon honestly made me shed a tear about a pig. But really its not about the pig but Hachiken's growth from his acceptance of Pork Bowl's death and a sign that he's fully embraced agricultural life. While Attack on Titan and other shows are eclipsing this season and even this entire year, its clear to me that Silver Spoon is my anime of the year and will easily be in my top 5 of all time.
    Post edited by Fundefined on
  • I'm keeping up with Silver Spoon, which is pretty great, and Servant X Service, which is ok. Servant X Service actually surprised me in not being completely repetitive. I liked Working!, which was done by the same mangaka, but when broken down Working! was the same four jokes repeated over and over again. SxS rarely repeats jokes and actually turned into a decent workplace situation comedy/romance. I'm looking forward to the ending.

I just binge watched the first thirteen episodes of Attack on Titan and what everyone is saying about that show is absolutely true. I can see exactly how it's using the Shonen formula to manipulate the audience but just like all the best Shonen I don't care and all I want is the next episode: right now.
  • edited September 2013
    I'll second, third?, Silver Spoon. There is always something oddly compelling about the fish out of water scenario. I definitely feel for Hatchiken.

Free! seems to be a bit of a guilty pleasure atm and I'm letting Space Brothers build up so I can binge a ton of eps of that. It seems to be wandering a bit aimlessly where I left off.
    Post edited by zehaeva on
  • Other than Attack on Titan, I'm watching Eccentric Family. I like it more and more with every episode. It's very... Japanese?