This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Computer advice thread ("What's the best way to do this?")

Comments

• Windows Experience doesn't really mean anything other than measuring broad performances and then giving you a score based on the lowest subscore present.

Going from 5400 RPM to 7200 RPM should not make a mind blowing change.

I would imagine with so many SSD's out there, the next time that number changes is when you install an SSD however the score isn't important.
  • With an SSD is it better to put the OS on it or the steam games?
  • HMTKSteve said:

With an SSD is it better to put the OS on it or the steam games?

OS as everything, including the Steam games, is likely to be banging on its code. After the OS is on there, then you can probably squirrel away some Steam games in any leftover space.
  • HMTKSteve said:

OS as everything, including the Steam games, is likely to be banging on its code. After the OS is on there, then you can probably squirrel away some Steam games in any leftover space.
    Can you split steam install directories now, or are you still stuck with only one?

• No idea... I don't have a Steam install handy, mostly because due to recent fatherhood I haven't had much time to game at all...
  • Churba said:

HMTKSteve said:

Can you split steam install directories now, or are you still stuck with only one?

On the Steam game install screen, the option for the location of the install is present.

You can install anywhere.

I would put single player games on a fast hard disk and multiplayer games on an SSD if I needed that many games installed but I would probably buy a 300 - 500gb SSD and I can manage commonly played games on that size with a Windows install.
  • sK0pe said:

Churba said:

HMTKSteve said:

On the Steam game install screen, the option for the location of the install is present.

You can install anywhere.

I would put single player games on a fast hard disk and multiplayer games on an SSD if I needed that many games installed but I would probably buy a 300 - 500gb SSD and I can manage commonly played games on that size with a Windows install.
    Huh, fair enough. I never noticed, because I always install them to the same place anyway.

• Two days ago:
    My desktop made a rattling noise on startup. I powered down and looked inside, everything seemed ok. Trying to power back up, it would power on for about 1/2 a second, then shut down. It was late, so I put it away to look at the next day.

Yesterday:
    I plugged it in with the case open. It powered up first try. It works, can't argue with that... I guess?

Today:
    Windows doesn't see my (spinny, non-critical) second drive. I power down, unplug and re-plug the drive. Oh yeah, I gave it a whack too. Power back up, windows sees the drive.

I had a backup of most of the drive, but I'm transferring every bit to an external drive as we speak. Is my hard drive jacked? Or is something else entirely going on in my computer?
  • The rattling was probably the drive failing.
  • I thought it sounded like something loose in a fan, but given my current situation I think you're right.
  • I'm struggling with the idea of building a media PC again. My last one has been sold to my former room mate/friend as he took it over as his gaming PC since he didn't have one. I'm interested in the low profile and small form factor that has to ITX has to offer. AMD versus Intel is acutally a tricky question. Intel's Haswell Celeron and Pentiums offer incredible value for money and easily beat anything AMD as at the same price for CPU work, but AMD's integrated GPU is better at the low price point. Any thoughts on this?
  • If you're going to go ITX, you may as well get a Mac Mini. Or just get a steam box or something. Literally the only reason to get something larger is so that you can have a somewhat more powerful video card to play more graphically intensive games.
  • edited February 2014
    Fair point. I thought I had found a really small ITX case, but it's still twice as tall, and an inch longer and deeper. The GPU on the AMD CPU I selected would offer twice the graphics performance, but still nothing compared to a dedicated card. And with absolutely everything, including windows, it's nearly $600.

EDIT: Also just reminded that Nuri gave me an eMachine a few months ago. I had initially only wanted the case, but given my meager requirements it might just fit the bill.
    Post edited by George Patches on
  • Two months after cloning my old 500GB drive to a 1TB drive my PC has begun complaining that my windows 7 is not genuine. I tried to look online for answers and I have found this to be a common problem with the most common answer being "stop using pirated windows"...
  • HMTKSteve said:

Two months after cloning my old 500GB drive to a 1TB drive my PC has begun complaining that my windows 7 is not genuine. I tried to look online for answers and I have found this to be a common problem with the most common answer being "stop using pirated windows"...

This is common with any major hardware change like if you swap out a motherboard or graphics cards. Just treat it like you would if you had a fresh install and register your key.
  • Only one problem, the install media was a second partition that did not clone correctly.

I might just reinstall the original drive and use the new one as the secondary. Luckily I did not reformat the original drive.
  • edited March 2014
    I have a friend looking for a $400 laptop with moderate graphics capability (let's say nvidia 8800gt), preferably at a brick & mortar. I know it's a tough ask. Anyone got any leads?

This is the best we came up with: http://www.walmart.com/ip/HP-Pavilion-17-e016dx-A-series-A8-5550M-2.1-GHz-Windows-8-64-bit-4-GB-RA/34317524#Specifications
    Post edited by Pegu on
  • As stated in the laptop thread what purpose will it serve?
    I've never understood why people buy laptops bigger than 13 - 14".
  • He doesn't care what size it is and he wants it to be somewhat capable of gaming.
  • sK0pe said:

As stated in the laptop thread what purpose will it serve?
    I've never understood why people buy laptops bigger than 13 - 14".

There are a handful of desktop replacement use cases where I can see getting a giant laptop. Personally, if you're doing the desktop replacement thing, I think you'd be better off getting a smaller, equally powerful laptop tot he behemoth ones and just hooking it up to an external monitor when working at your desk.
  • Pegu said:

He doesn't care what size it is and he wants it to be somewhat capable of gaming.

Take a look at Asus laptops on newegg.
  • I got my Asus x202e for $489. It uses Intel integrate graphics, but it can actually render video at an okay speed, handles Windows 8 everything I've thrown at it wonderfully, and features a touchscreen and 1 year accidental damage coverage. I like it quite a lot and it fits in my little messenger bag quite nicely.
  • I'll be going back to school this fall and am in need of a laptop. I want it to be as light as possible, and it can't run solely a Linux OS (school requirement, not mine). That's it. Fairly broad net I'm casting, but since my requirements are so few I don't really know where to start looking. It isn't going to replace my primary PC, or become a mobile internet consumption device, and I don't want it to. I want it to be simple, durable, and light (books are heavy). Any suggestions on where to start looking?
  • Banta said:

I'll be going back to school this fall and am in need of a laptop. I want it to be as light as possible, and it can't run solely a Linux OS (school requirement, not mine). That's it. Fairly broad net I'm casting, but since my requirements are so few I don't really know where to start looking. It isn't going to replace my primary PC, or become a mobile internet consumption device, and I don't want it to. I want it to be simple, durable, and light (books are heavy). Any suggestions on where to start looking?

MacBook Air.
  • Apreche said:

Banta said:

I'll be going back to school this fall and am in need of a laptop. I want it to be as light as possible, and it can't run solely a Linux OS (school requirement, not mine). That's it. Fairly broad net I'm casting, but since my requirements are so few I don't really know where to start looking. It isn't going to replace my primary PC, or become a mobile internet consumption device, and I don't want it to. I want it to be simple, durable, and light (books are heavy). Any suggestions on where to start looking?

MacBook Air.
    A great choice if you can lay out the money for one. I'd go for a Lenovo Thinkpad X140 if you need to keep it on the cheap.
  • Apreche said:

Banta said:

MacBook Air.
    A great choice if you can lay out the money for one. I'd go for a Lenovo Thinkpad X140 if you need to keep it on the cheap.
    Thinkpads are getting worse, Air just got better and price just went down by $100. He said light as possible was his priority.
  • edited May 2014
    Apreche said:

Apreche said:

Banta said:

MacBook Air.
    Thinkpads are getting worse, Air just got better and price just went down by $100. He said light as possible was his priority.
    The Air is great, but it's still a $1000-ish machine. A x140 is less than $500. If you have the money, the Air is definitely the superior machine in all categories.
    Post edited by George Patches on
  • God I hope there are still decent Thinkpads available when my current one dies. Decent laptops are becoming a boutique item.
  • New server issue. Googlebot is unable to access the robots.txt file on one of my domains. This is weird because only one out of 15 domains is being impacted. However it is the one that suffered a code injection back.

Webmaster tools shows that the only problem Google is having is that when it tries to get the file it gets a 5xx response. I have no problem pulling the file via a web browser and the file looks fine.
  • Something in the .htaccess, maybe?