This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

What anime are you watching? v2.0

Comments

• Oh man, Ladd Russo is awesome.
  • I heard on the show that someone was watching Votoms, and I decided to check it out. So while I'm watching the original Votoms series I realized there is a more recent one, the PF. So which one where you guys watching?
  • I heard on the show that someone was watching Votoms, and I decided to check it out. So while I'm watching the original Votoms series I realized there is a more recent one, the PF. So which one where you guys watching?
    The original TV.
  • edited May 2010
    I just finished Gundam 8th MS Team. It was pretty good but short.

Though they totally pulled a "the bullet hit my nicely placed family heirloom" bit at the end which was kinda cliche.
    Post edited by Cremlian on
  • edited May 2010
    Damnit. Baccano! was so good, but I need more; I want to see those epilogue episodes. Guess I'm buying the DVDs.

EDIT: It appears that 14, 15, and 16 were the "epilogue" eps. I really hope they continue this series once enough new light novels are out.
    Post edited by WindUpBird on
  • I want to see those epilogue episodes.
    Honestly, you really don't... >_>
  • I want to see those epilogue episodes.
    Honestly, you really don't... >_>
    Am I wrong? Were the epilogue episodes the ones with Graham Specter and Claire chasing Chane?
  • Yes, but think about the story for a moment. They've revealed everything already. The problem with these episodes is they came after the series climax, and thus they're just not as good.
  • Yeah, not enough time to actually build a new plot. Supposedly there's a translation of the books in the works. I might have to look into that.
  • I have finally got around to watching Cowboy Bebop.

It is the shit!
  • If you have the episodes handy, watch them. If you want to buy the box set just cause it's only $30, go for it. But you don't need to purchase to box set solely to have those episodes, they aren't worth it.
    EDIT: It appears that 14, 15, and 16 were the "epilogue" eps. I really hope they continue this series once enough new light novels are out.
    Oh, I see now. Yeah, you've seen it all then.
  • Just finishing Macross 7 (Loved it!) I downloaded a show that I was drawn too by AWO in their 2008-2009 in review show. Michiko e Hatchin. The show's music is cool and the animation's nice. I have a small problem with it though. Even though it is set in a South American setting, all the main characters have Japanese names like Michiko, Hana, and Horioshi. Just a little thing but it kind of bugs me.
  • That's true. However, were you aware that the Japanese-Brazilian population is one of the largest groups of Japanese descent outside of Japan?
    If I remember correctly Peru also has a disproportionately large population of Nisei Japanese. It's a made up setting anyway, but I can see why you would like there to be Hispanic names. It's not uncommon to hear Japanese names in Brazil, though, right?
  • That's true. However, were you aware that the Japanese-Brazilian population is one of the largest groups of Japanese descent outside of Japan?
    If I remember correctly Peru also has a disproportionately large population of Nisei Japanese. It's a made up setting anyway, but I can see why you would like there to be Hispanic names. It's not uncommon to hear Japanese names in Brazil, though, right?
    That's really intresting. My only complaint with MeH has been laid to rest.
  • Since I've been playing phone tag to get ANOTHER letter of acceptance on my Ob 5 paper trail hunt for the forces, I started to watch gundam wing again. Man, I forgot how much I love the animation in this and endless waltz. I don't remember Quatre being so gay though, he seems to be trying to team up with the other pilots a little too hard, especially Trowa, it's kind of creeping me out.
    Gomi speaks the truth. My best friend back in Peru and a former Peruvian president are from Japanese descent. We also have a huge chinese and african descendant population, which is awesome because I loved the mixture of so many diverse cultures and the delicious different kind of foods I was able the sample.
  • My pile of shame has gotten so large in the last few years, that most of the stuff on top is several years old at this point. Case in point, I'm watching Blood+ right now, which is from 2005. It's not the greatest show ever, but I like it a lot more than the original source material, and it is surprisingly devoid of a lot of the tropes I see in most anime these days.
  • edited May 2010
    That's true. However, were you aware that the Japanese-Brazilian population is one of the largest groups of Japanese descent outside of Japan?
    No, but usually just last names, these as some of my friends: Karine Satake, Aline Kamiya, Priscila Junko Kinukawa, Renan Ikegami. Some nisei, some sansei.
    Post edited by sucrilhos on
  • I generally don't watch anime (in fact, I now have a great dislike of it because of the people in my Japanese class), and apart from the standard Kiki's Delivery Service, Spirited Away, and Avatar the Last Airbender (does that count? I think so), I haven't watched any. However, I am one of two people in my Japanese class who doesn't LOVE watching anime. Because of this, my teacher has decided we should watch some anime next week to learn about Japanese culture. We are going to watch two anime films, the first being My Neighbor Totoro, which I heard is by Miyazaki. That I'm not worried about, I enjoed Spirited Away and Kiki's Delivery Service. However, the second is called "Inu Yasha". As far as I can tell by the name, it has something to do with a dog. I don't really have the motivation to go researching about it because I'm seeing it next week, but I wanted to hear some other people's opinions about it. I didn't ask my classmates because they all cheered when they heard we were watching it. So, out of a sort of morbid curiosity, I was wondering what the general feeling towards Inu Yasha is here, and if I should dread it's showing, or wait for it eagerly.
  • in fact, I now have a great dislike of it because of the people in my Japanese class
    One of the biggest mistakes you can ever make is to judge media by its consumers.
  • InuYasha is terrible, and I'm sorry for the loss of your time. It's a standard shonen action show combined with a standard Japanese romantic-comedy show.
  • InuYasha is terrible, and I'm sorry for the loss of your time. It's a standard shonen action show combined with a standard Japanese romantic-comedy show.
    Yeah. You won't learn much about real Japanese culture. Well, except for the kind of show fangirls love...
  • One of the biggest mistakes you can ever make is to judge media by its consumers.
    Good point.

Yeah. You won't learn much about real Japanese culture. Well, except for the kind of show fangirls love...
    Hmm... That explains it. "Fangirls" accurately describes ~3/4 of my class.
    Now that's not quite true. I don't like it, but like all Rumiko Takahashi things, there is a pretty large amount of Japanese mythological references.
    Now that's not quite true. I don't like it, but like all Rumiko Takahashi things, there is a pretty large amount of Japanese mythological references.
    True, but it takes a while to get to them in Inuyasha. There's much, much better Anime to watch if you want good mythology or culture. Heck, even something like Rurouni Kenshin at least has a few episodes where you could really learn something about that period of Japan's history.
  • True, but it takes a while to get to them in Inuyasha. There's much, much better Anime to watch if you want good mythology or culture. Heck, even something like Rurouni Kenshin at least has a few episodes where you could really learn something about that period of Japan's history.
    Or better yet, just buy the manga for Rurouni Kenshin in the three-in-one reprints. From volume 2 on, you get a couple pages about the Bakamatsu and the beginning of the Meji era as supplemental material.
  • I just watched the last episode of Urusei Yatsura.
  • Because of this, my teacher has decided we should watch some anime next week to learn about Japanese culture.
    Nothing wrong with a fun way to learn about Japanese culture. Good idea I'd say.
    My Neighbor Totoro
    An entertaining film, though I'm not sure it's the best choice if you want to focus on the Japanese culture. Spirited Away would be a better choice if you ask me.
    Inu Yasha
    What.
    The.
    Fuck.
    Okay, I haven't seen any of it, merely word of mouth that it's shitty fangirlbait and that it has some minor mythology stuff. But there are BETTER things to watch if you want to focus on Japanese culture.

Good luck Oz, good luck.
  • edited May 2010
    I just watched the last episode of Urusei Yatsura.
    Followed by Beautiful Dreamer. High quality stuff
    Post edited by lackofcheese on
  • Avatar : The Last Airbender. My co-workers finally forced me into it.