This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

What anime are you watching? v2.0

Comments

• edited May 2010
    I'm still watching Hokuto no Ken (up to episode 40 now). It's very entertaining, especially Kenshiro's trash talk - I wonder if that trash talking skill is part of the art of Hokuto no Ken.
    Post edited by lackofcheese on
  • Okay, so having seen Beck and loved the whole of it, are there any music anime that are:
    1. Not moe shit like K-ON!
    2. Not DMC, seen it.
    3. At least half as good as Beck
    FLCL
    The Legend of Black Heaven
    Nodame Cantabile
  • I'm watching...

Durarara
    Dragon Half (Thanks Rym and Scott)
    Working!! (Though I don't recommend it)

Now I have a request for you FRCers. I want to watch a nice romance-based anime. But I also have very specific qualifications for it.

1. I don't really want it to really be a high school comedy with fanservice and romance on the side.
    2. The leads shouldn't be fighting like cats and dogs every time they talk. I don't want constant BS conflict due to bitchiness (No physical violence please)
    3. Most characters are likable.
    4. It isn't a female-worship show. (So much anime is turning into Female Worship. I point to K-On and Working and plenty of other new shows)

Can you guys give me something from all that?
  • Now I have a request for you FRCers. I want to watch a nice romance-based anime... Can you guys give me something from all that?
    We'll, I would be remiss if I didn't mention Maison Ikokku, although, like all Romiko Takahashi works some think that it takes far too long to get anywhere. Also, if you don't mind some "high school," Midori Days is an excellent choice. Ever heard the expression "My girlfriend is my right hand" or something to that effect? Midori Days is this in the literal sense. Finally, If you aren't opposed to lesbian relationships, I would highly recommend Aoi Hana, currently available for free on Cruchyroll. These are basically the only ones I like, but I like them a whole lot.

• Now I have a request for you FRCers. I want to watch a nice romance-based anime. But I also have very specific qualifications for it.

1. I don't really want it to really be a high school comedy with fanservice and romance on the side.
    2. The leads shouldn't be fighting like cats and dogs every time they talk. I don't want constant BS conflict due to bitchiness (No physical violence please)
    4. It isn't a female-worship show. (So much anime is turning into Female Worship. I point to K-On and Working and plenty of other new shows)
    Lovely Complex maybe?
  • I thought lovely complex had a Love/Hate thing between the two characters. Do correct me if I'm wrong if Lovely Complex doesn't have that, but I thought that's what is was mostly about. I think out of anything, I want to avoid that since I'm seeing far too much romance in shows where it's "Oh, the two of us have to bicker in order for us to fall in love." Extra point if the love isn't all like "Oh, I've fallen in love for you for no reason despite the fact you completely don't know I exist."

Maybe something more mature since those two love issues happen the most with teenage years.
  • edited May 2010
    I thought lovely complex had a Love/Hate thing between the two characters. Do correct me if I'm wrong if Lovely Complex doesn't have that, but I thought that's what is was mostly about. I think out of anything, I want to avoid that since I'm seeing far too much romance in shows where it's "Oh, the two of us have to bicker in order for us to fall in love." Extra point if the love isn't all like "Oh, I've fallen in love for you for no reason despite the fact you completely don't know I exist."
    I think the difference between Lovely Complex and Love Hina is that the characters are actually friends with each other. They spend a lot of time with each other doing normal stuff, and actually talk to each other somewhat like normal people. Their bickering is more like good natured ribbing between best friends. In Love Hina it's hard to imagine how the dude is even really friends with the girl. Almost every time he is even in the same room has her it's an "OMGOMGOMGOMGOMG" situation where he's crazy nervous, doesn't say much, and then accidental boob grab.
    Post edited by Apreche on
  • I thought lovely complex had a Love/Hate thing between the two characters. Do correct me if I'm wrong if Lovely Complex doesn't have that, but I thought that's what is was mostly about. I think out of anything, I want to avoid that since I'm seeing far too much romance in shows where it's "Oh, the two of us have to bicker in order for us to fall in love." Extra point if the love isn't all like "Oh, I've fallen in love for you for no reason despite the fact you completely don't know I exist."

Maybe something more mature since those two love issues happen the most with teenage years.
    Lovely Complex sounds like what you're looking for, the characters really don't play to the cliches as much as you think. Scott is right, it's friends bickering, not too people hating each other and then falling in love for absolutely no reason. Word of warning though, this show moves slooooooow. It's a developing love story over a year or two, I can't remember exactly, but it takes a while.
  • Well, I think for something we can all agree with is that Love Hina in the long view of it is meh and promotes abusive relationships. But with that information on Lovely Complex, I'll atleast watch through the first couple of episodes.
  • The Legend of Black Heaven
    HARD ROCK SAVE THE SPACE! Though that's not really about music, I mean it has like 2 songs, the OP and the insert song that gets repeated. It's all about lingering nostalgia for a time gone by. Animation quality/budget (same thing) is low, story is mediocre. Overall it's enjoyable imho.
    Neither of them are really all that moe until Railgun runs out of story and just goes into filler mode after episode...16 I think it was.
    Index is the worse offender consisting of moe and exposition from what I've heard. Railgun only has episode 13 or 14 on the virtual reality beach, and the few moments where the "Oh she likes childish stuff" joke gets pulled up, which is once an ep at most. The second story arc, whilst technically filler afaik, isn't bad and I like how they connected it to the first story arc.
  • The Legend of Black Heaven
    HARD ROCK SAVE THE SPACE! Though that's not really about music, I mean it has like 2 songs, the OP and the insert song that gets repeated. It's all about lingering nostalgia for a time gone by. Animation quality/budget (same thing) is low, story is mediocre. Overall it's enjoyable imho.
    I thought it was interesting in that main character isn't some angst ridden teenager but a middle aged salary man. I wouldn't mind watch something like this again but without the space alien nonsense. And more of the band is getting back together stuff.
    Now I have a request for you FRCers. I want to watch a nice romance-based anime. But I also have very specific qualifications for it.

Can you guys give me something from all that?
    Check out Honey and Clover. The cast are college students and all except for one they look like adults. Characters are likable there is fighting but it's more along the lines of high jinks than anything else. The drama is also pretty good to.
  • I don't know enough about it, other than it is music-y, but maybe Nodame Cantabile also?
  • I'm watching the Coyote Ragtime Show and Fullmetal Alchemist Brotherhood.
  • I'm watching the Coyote Ragtime Show...
    How is that? I heard it's not very good.
    Yeah. I was going to say "Why?" but I didn't.
    Yeah. I was going to say "Why?" but I didn't.
    It's not bad, I'm enjoying. It gets a little slow at points b ut since it's a 13 episode series, I don't mind. It being on Hulu however, may cloud my judgment since it's free.
  • Clearly one's initial exposure to any work should be free, that way one's judgement can be kept intact ^_~
  • edited May 2010

I thought it was interesting in that main character isn't some angst ridden teenager but a middle aged salary man. I wouldn't mind watch something like this again but without the space alien nonsense. And more of the band is getting back together stuff.
    If only someone had made a movie like that...
    Post edited by Churba on
  • This isn't a series, but I highly highly recommend Whisper of the Heart. It's very honest, there is no fanservice or female worship, and it's all-around enjoyable experience. If only Yoshifumi Kondo didn't die soon after it came out, we could have seen more great things from him.
  • edited May 2010
    I'm watching Hokuto no Ken.
    Juuza is so awesome. He delayed Raoh for 5 whole episodes, and rode his horse.
    Post edited by lackofcheese on
  • Just finished Porco Rosso. I liked it a lot. Ghibli never disapoints.
  • edited May 2010
    Should be watching Evangelion 2.22 when it's done downloading. Going to rewatch 1.11 for a reminder as well. Hell, I'll probably re-watch the show and movies after that. It's a slippery slope..
    Post edited by thehollow89 on
  • Should be watching Evangelion 2.22 when it's done downloading. Going to rewatch 1.11 for a reminder as well. Hell, I'll probably re-watch the show and movies after that. It's a slippery slope..
    I watched the series and it's movies right before watching 1.11 and It's similar in some ways, but different in others. I really hope they give Rei more character in the new movies.
  • Today, I saw three new anime.

First, I saw episodes 1 and 2 of Birdy the Mighty: Decode. It is semi-interesting, definitely fanservicey, but it has potential. Great soundtrack

Then, I watched episode 1 of House of Five Leaves. This intrigued me and I really like the art style, so I imagine I'll watch more of it.

Lastly, I just watched episode 1 of The Tatami Galaxy. It was WEIRD. But now I'm curious, and I might just have to keep watching from this point.
  • definitely fanservicey
    Actually, it has very little fanservice considering the fact that the premise is a teenaged boy sharing a body with a female human-like alien who wears what's basically a one-piece swimsuit and whose undercover identity is a ditzy photo-model and who takes baths as is custom in Japan. No really, there's like nothing left outside of that.
  • definitely fanservicey
    Actually, it has very little fanservice considering the fact that the premise is a teenaged boy sharing a body with a female human-like alien who wears what's basically a one-piece swimsuit and whose undercover identity is a ditzy photo-model and who takes baths as is custom in Japan. No really, there's like nothing left outside of that.
    I...I can't tell if you're being sarcastic. Screw the internet.
  • Oh wow. For some shonen fightan, Kekkaishi is suprisingly...decent.
  • Recently watched Time of Eve, and it's precursor Aquatic Language. I've decided I like all of this directors work and really want him to put out more. All of his works are engaging but understated in a good way.
  • Yeah, Yasuhiro Yoshiura's work is great. I carefully await the Time of Eve film they're making.