This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

What anime are you watching? v2.0

Comments

• Caught up a bit on a few things. Not enough to put a dent in my Hulu queue, though.

Attack on Titan!!! Oh man, am I so pissed to wait a week. People who've already read the manga make me so jealous. They've added a new wrinkle into the Titans, and it's fun to play around with theories as to what it all means. It seems obvious, but how did this happen? This show is damn crazy.
  • You are what you eat? That's my guess.
  • That seems to be the obvious. If that's true, this is going to be some really crazy anime shit I'm in for.
  • edited May 2013
    (The few story points I got semi-spoiled on don't have anything to do with what we're discussing here, so this is pure speculation, but I spoilered this for people who aren't caught up on the anime.)
    The flashbacks/nightmares Eren had of getting injections from Dr. Jaeger have to mean something. Maybe he's a tamed titan? Maybe Jaeger found an elusive female titan and stole her baby? Maybe Jaeger was experimenting on his son to try to make a superman to fight? In one of the training episodes, the military commander knew Dr. Jaeger by his first name; perhaps he was running some kind of government experiments?

Speaking of which, I rewatched the first four episodes that didn't quite blow me away the first time, and wow is there a lot of subtle setup for the stuff that happened in the last few episodes as well as the few things I'm vaguely aware are coming. Pretty much everything that struck me as odd, or possibly a sign of weak characterization or lack of directorial focus, was deliberate. That's a mark of quality right there.
    Post edited by Nissl on
  • I hit the halfway point in Lain a few days ago. For an anime from the late 90's it has held up well visually. The way it portrays the net reminds me of the way pulp sci-fi used to portray Mars and Venus.

The story has become easier to follow and some of the early episodes are beginning to make more sense.
  • On Attack On Titan
    I have a feeling that Dr. Jaeger's Injection caused Eren to take over the body of the titan when he was eaten, in some kind of weird "sorry, kid, you're probably going to die anyways, lets get some use out of you!" science experiment/government conspiracy. Maybe it'll allow Eren to become some sort of shapeshifter?
  • edited May 2013
    I know far too much to discuss the spoilers, but I totally want to discuss my own headcanon when we get to that point.
    Post edited by Anthony Heman on
  • It's so funny that spoilers don't work through the e-mail. That will be the death of me one day.
  • On Attack On Titan
    I have a feeling that Dr. Jaeger's Injection caused Eren to take over the body of the titan when he was eaten, in some kind of weird "sorry, kid, you're probably going to die anyways, lets get some use out of you!" science experiment/government conspiracy. Maybe it'll allow Eren to become some sort of shapeshifter?
    That's some Orochimar-ass level mad scientist shit, then!

I've never forgotten the key! I am dying to know what that's about. I thought it was going to be some badass tech locked up in the basement, but I guess I have to wait for the reveal down the road. No manga spoilers, please.

• That's some Orochimar-ass level mad scientist shit, then!
    And would be so delicious!
  • edited May 2013
    Orochimaru, I meant to say. Not like anyone watches Naruto anyway. ;)
    Post edited by VichusSmith on
  • Don't worry, I knew of whom you were speaking of!
  • GeoGeo
    edited May 2013
    Out of morbid curiosity I checked out the K-On movie (and by checked out I mean watched at 2.5x speed).

It was probably one of the most boring anime I've ever seen. I can subtitle it as "K-On: Well They Sure Go to London".

How do people sit through this moe, cute girls garbage? Nothing of interest in any meaningful capacity happens! Horrendously written (Conflict? Huh? What's that?!), bland as fuck characters, and dumb songs intrinsic only to "cute girls doing cute things" genre anime are all this movie has.

I'm done.
    Post edited by Geo on
  • It all stems from Azumanga Daioh and Haruhi Suzumiya.
  • Out of morbid curiosity I checked out the K-On movie (and by checked out I mean watched at 2.5x speed).

It was probably one of the most boring anime I've ever seen. I can subtitle it as "K-On: Well They Sure Go to London".

How do people sit through this moe, cute girls garbage? Nothing of interest in any meaningful capacity happens! Horrendously written (Conflict? Huh? What's that?!), bland as fuck characters, and dumb songs intrinsic only to "cute girls doing cute things" genre anime are all this movie has.

I'm done.
    K-On bamboozles you into thinking it's a show about girls discovering music and honing their talents to become a band, when it's really a fantasy about a perfect high school experience. Gag.
  • Out of morbid curiosity I checked out the K-On movie (and by checked out I mean watched at 2.5x speed).

I'm done.
    K-On bamboozles you into thinking it's a show about girls discovering music and honing their talents to become a band, when it's really a fantasy about a perfect high school experience. Gag.
    So...Kids on the Slope is the antidote?
  • Maybe more like Beck: Mongolian Chop Squad. The use of music as a vehicle for the plot feels kind of arbitrary in Kids on the Slope. You could almost replace jazz with football and the story would still work. That's not meant as a slight against it, it's just Beck is much more about the "discovering music and honing their talents as a band" thing in comparison.
  • Anyone have a favorite Attack on Titan intro mashup? I liked the Christopher Walken one.
  • GeoGeo
    edited May 2013
    I've watched quite a bit of stuff in the last few days so I may as well go over that.

First off, I watched Patlabor 2. I must say, I think that it is the best Patlabor anything I've seen to date. I wasn't a fan of the first movie and I found the first series of OAVs to be a trifle. Patlabor 2 is so fascinating, exciting, and has what is the best character, in my opinion, as the protagonist (Captain Gotoh). This film is also extremely prescient considering the subject matter it tackles which I found to be mildly shocking. I loved the fuck out of it and is now a permanent member of my top 10 favorite anime movies ever.

After that, I watched GitS 2: Innocence. I really did not like this movie at all. While it is far more closer to Shirow's original manga than the original movie was, that wasn't enough to get me to like it. It was so boring, pretentious, and up its own ass. I am aware that most of Oshii's work is intentionally slow paced, but I find myself struggling to stay awake a lot of the time. For someone who has ADD, such as myself, that is poison to me. I think it is my least favorite Oshii work to date. However, I still have to see Urusei Yatsura 2: Beautiful Dreamer and Angel's Egg; after which I can finish my section him for my panel.

Currently, I've just started watching Paranoia Agent because it is the only Kon work I have not gotten around to yet, and I'm on episode 3 right now. That's a helluva show. Only Kon could have made this work and it has his stamp all over it. I'm very eager to see how it turns out. News at 11.
    Post edited by Geo on
  • edited May 2013
    Post edited by Dazzle369 on
  • Alternating between Sailor Moon and Attack on Titan right now. Damn... Attack on Titan. I've only seen the first episode so far, but I can already see that it has all the goddamn metaphores, and is all the intense.
  • Just watched the first episode. Really digging the art style, can't wait till it gets to them fucking shit up.
  • Just watched the three first episodes of Attack on Titan. Not knowing what to expect the first two episodes were surprisingly heavy. The third episode was a little lighter and gave a little break from the heavy stuff.
  • edited May 2013
    Sweet, more people to bat stuff around with.

Attack on Titan - Another great episode. If there's anything I can complain about, it's that they reused footage for not only the cold open but also the first minute of the episode. It's remarkable how hard this show hits emotionally with scenarios that in most other shows or movies wouldn't get a reaction out of me at all. Anime spoilers:
    Mikasa's reaction at the end got me good. She simultaneously gets back what she thought she lost and has the impact of the loss hit her now that the battle's over, at least the way I read it. There's a lot of speculation regarding the different titan classes and their histories and biology that all of this opens up, but it's so broad that I'm not even sure where to start. Obviously it goes a long way towards explaining why neck strikes work.

Gargantia - Pretty good episode. Lots of good character development but not much happened and there wasn't any humor either. Poor job handling the event at the start of the episode that made me not care at all. Boy do I wish we had gotten more development for Ridget before this episode.

Maou-Sama - Also pretty good. Several relationships moved forward in important ways and there was a lot of fun dialogue but otherwise nothing really happened. This show is pretty fluffy but I enjoy it anyway, especially as a palate cleanser after AoT.
    Post edited by Nissl on
  • Watched the first three episodes of Attack on Titan tonight. Oh man.
  • Episode 8 of Attack on Titan:

Oops. I half-guessed what was going to happen in a joke I made earlier in the thread.
  • Watching 'darker than black'. It's certainly a good quality, dunno if it's going to be totally awesome or not yet.
  • I really liked that show and then never watched the last three episodes...
  • Just started Attack on Titan. Yeah, it lives up to its reputation. About to watch Royal Space Force - The Wings of Honnêamise.
  • I really liked that show and then never watched the last three episodes...
    I could say that about so many shows. Sola, DRRR, Giant Robo...