This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

What anime are you watching? v2.0

Comments

• GeoGeo
    edited April 2013
    ... It'll hold me over as I'm foaming at the bit for the new Sailor Moon and Gatchaman show.
    When are those coming out?
    Next season.
    Post edited by Geo on
  • Shark Robots? Lobster Robots!?

Gargantia is the best.
  • Up to ep 9 of Madoka Magical... Damn this show is good. It went off in a direction that I was not expecting for a magical girl show.
  • Because I like keeping up on what's current, I'm watching Mushi-shi.
  • Because I like keeping up on what's current, I'm watching Mushi-shi.
    That's current enough for me.

• I just started watching "Little Witch Academy". It was a enjoyable first episode, I hope it gets more epic.
  • I just started watching "Little Witch Academy". It was a enjoyable first episode, I hope it gets more epic.
    There's only one episode, though...
  • Going to start watching Shinsekai Yori soon, is it worth it?
  • I listened to the ANNcast eps Revenge of the 00's and was amazed that Wolf's Rain ranked so highly on all the reviewers lists, I remember not being impressed with it. So I'm giving it a chance again, watched the first eps so far. Will withhold judgement till I watch more.
  • Going to start watching Shinsekai Yori soon, is it worth it?
    We've discussed it here. It's worth it if you're looking for anime that doesn't just follow the same narrative path as most anime.
  • I listened to the ANNcast eps Revenge of the 00's and was amazed that Wolf's Rain ranked so highly on all the reviewers lists, I remember not being impressed with it. So I'm giving it a chance again, watched the first eps so far. Will withhold judgement till I watch more.
    I loved Wolfs Rain when I was younger, but I'm pretty sure it's because it was post-apocalyptic. With wolves. I rewatched it a couple years ago with my husband and realized there's a whole part to the anime that seems to have no purpose. My favorite episodes remain the final four/OVA, because I think that's what the series is really about, but my husband hated the whole ending.

I decided to start catching up on series I missed out on following during their hay-day. I started reading InuYasha, and eventually I will get to watching... Ghost in the Shell, all of Cowboy Bebop (I've seen the first four/one here or there). The husband wanted to start Naruto subtitled from the very beginning and every episode, so here we go on that one.

:(
  • Checked out episode 2 of Gargantia. Hot damn, Chamber's not a mecha to be fucked with!
  • Chamber is so moe moe desuuu
  • Chamber does not understand moe yet. Scanning databases...
  • Devil is a Part-Timer is surprisingly hilarious.

It teaches you important life lessons.

Also, best faces.

So go check out the anime that LIVES IN A PINEAPPLE UNDER THE SEA.
  • edited April 2013
    Yep, I've also picked up Hataraku Maou-Sama. It's not perfect, I get a bit tired of the repeated romance jokes and mild fanservice at times, but it's very engaging through 4 episodes and has a few really funny moments in each one. The biggest things that have surprised me are how intelligent and charming the (nominal) main character is and how non-goofy the whole show is. So far it's been full of interesting commentaries on everything from immigration to struggling to realize your dreams in the modern world to ignorance as a root of evil. As with Gargantia, I'm a little concerned it could go in a more generic direction from here on out, but I have pretty strong faith in it.

Also checked out Devil Survivor 2, meh. A few bland, uninteresting teens are the only ones who have the power to save the world from evil, except this time they fight by downloading demons through an app on their phones.
    Post edited by Nissl on
  • I marathoned Anohana on Saturday while cleaning my room.

The feels guys!
    The feels!
  • I watched Uta no Prince Sama, thinking it was a new show. I always wonder if gals or guys have worse bish bait thrown at them.

I still haven't tried out a couple new anime, and I keep putting them off. I should've kept the better ones for last!
  • So far it seems to me that Durarara + Eva + Digimon = Devil Survivor 2, formula-wise. I'm only 3 episodes in and I've never played the game, but oh man I'm a sucker for monster fights.

The opener's not really much, so here's a preview instead.

• I need to catch up with that one. I think the fights in it are better done than P4A's were.
  • edited May 2013
    I watched Uta no Prince Sama, thinking it was a new show. I always wonder if gals or guys have worse bish bait thrown at them.
    That was painful. I like the occasional bit of schlock but I was done after 5 minutes.

I also started Attack on Titan, which is the last of the "big" anime of the season. Grimdark/gory popcorn anime with great production values so far, and the Titans are pretty chilling. But ugh, I hate the main character and how much everyone keeps yelling. I've heard it gets better after the first two episodes, so I'll push forward.

Not so sure about Maou-sama after this week's episode. Gargantia was a bit on the nose in a very quiet episode, but it was still pretty great.
    Post edited by Nissl on
  • Evangelion: 3.0 You Can (Not) Redo was. It's definitely the weakest of Rebuild so far, filled with mind-numbing action sequences and very minimal story progression. Hopefully, looking back once everything is said-and-done, it'll end up being a great transition into 4.0 and not just a throwaway 90 minutes.
  • http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/news/2013-05-04/anime-sols-to-stream-original-yatterman-aoi-blink-tezuka-films This seems like a cool idea, hope it succeeds, maybe we can get Legend of Galactic heroes this way :-p
  • Watched the first eps of Mawaru Penguindrum.. What the hell did I just watch :-p
  • If I would describe it in one word, it would be Ikuhara. :P
  • If I would describe it in two words, they would be extremely Ikuhara. (Also, I loved Penguindrum!)

I watched Eva 3.33 last week, and enjoyed it. I would not previously have imagined that Eva could get more dystopian, but 3.33 did it. I love bitter Misato and Ritsuko. Not sure how I feel about emo Gendo. Overall the movie had a somewhat disjointed feeling, especially around the piano scenes, perhaps fitting given how emotionally-disorienting Shinji's experience was. I hope that in 4.x they fill in some of the missing pieces of time.

I watched Wolf Children yesterday. I wept for the last few minutes of the film, but (as Rym and Emily said on GN) I don't see this as a sad film at all (despite a tragic loss fairly early on), but rather a wonderful story about children growing into themselves, which is of necessity bittersweet. (I cried more in Toy Story 3 than in Wolf Children, and not just during the scary-fire part.) I thought it was a wise choice to tell the story from the daughter's point of view; this allowed greater suspension of disbelief about how perfect the mom was, and the fact that after becoming a mom she seemed to have no needs whatsoever other than caring for her children. Were I interested in writing fanfic, I'd write the story of Wolf Children from the point of view of the mom (whose name I can't recall -- I think it may never have been used after the children were born, so I should rewatch the earlier part to see if she has a name).
  • Attack on Titan. The 5th episode just sealed it for me, I can't stop thinking about it!
  • Attack on Titan. The 5th episode just sealed it for me, I can't stop thinking about it!
    Dude, that show kicks all kinds of asses in at least 4 dimensions.