This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

What anime are you watching? v2.0

Comments

• I'm on episode four of Attack on Titan! Man, I needed this after AKB0048 ended.

Speaking of AKB, it was a good ending and only had one truly terrible episode out of 26. Not bad. Very good!

Also, thanks to Jennifer and Constantine's panel, I found Inferno Cop. It's 2 minute episodes and it needs to crossover with Axe Cop right now!
  • Just started Attack on Titan. Yeah, it lives up to its reputation. About to watch Royal Space Force - The Wings of Honnêamise.
    That is a must see classic. Early great Gainax.
  • About to watch Royal Space Force - The Wings of Honnêamise.
    Tha'sa good movie.
  • edited May 2013
    Started watching Attack on Titan during lunch today. I was spurred on by my kid who was complaining after I turned WiFi off that she couldn't watch it.
    Post edited by HMTKSteve on
  • That is a must see classic. Early great Gainax.
    Tha'sa good movie.
    Agree.

• Just got around to watching the first episode of Attack on Titan. Holy shit.
  • GeoGeo
    edited May 2013
    That is a must see classic. Early great Gainax.
    Tha'sa good movie.
    Agree.

I also agree. It's one of those things you have to get around to at some point. There are too many good things happening in it.
    Post edited by Geo on
  • Okay, I'm up to episode 5 on Attack on Titan, and I have no fucking clue where they're going with it.
  • I plan to watch Attack on Titan. If there is all this hubbub, I have to watch it at some point. However, I'm not going to start until it's all done.
  • edited May 2013
    I plan to watch Attack on Titan. If there is all this hubbub, I have to watch it at some point. However, I'm not going to start until it's all done.
    Guess you will not be watching it ever? (The manga is still in production)

Post edited by HMTKSteve on
  • I plan to watch Attack on Titan. If there is all this hubbub, I have to watch it at some point. However, I'm not going to start until it's all done.
    Guess you will not be watching it ever? (The manga is still in production)

Even Dragonball Ended. I hopefully have a lot of years left to live. Even One Piece will end. I don't think Attack on Titan is quite on the One Piece level. The manga will end, and the anime with it. If the manga somehow does go on forever, the anime will still likely end at a comfortable place, like the Hajime no Ippo anime.

• What is the longest running manga with an anime counterpart? All I can think of first hand is Bleach.
  • edited May 2013
    What is the longest running manga with an anime counterpart? All I can think of first hand is Bleach.
    I would bet on Doraemon, Sazaean, DragonBall, or One Piece. Bleach isn't even nearly as long as any of those.
    Post edited by Apreche on
  • edited May 2013
    One Piece is longer than either Dragonball or Bleach, but Bleach is longer than Dragonball, Doraemon or Sazae-San. All of them are topped by Hajime no Ippo, btw.

The answer to the question depends on what Steve means. If he means that manga that still have new chapters being published regularly, then neither Doraemon nor Sazae-San count anyway, as both have completed their original publication run. The anime for Sazae-San is still running though and is closing in on 7000 episodes.

According to Wikipedia, the longest manga series ever is still being published. It's Kochira Katsushika-ku Kameari Kōen-mae Hashutsujo which has been running in Weekly Shonen Jump since 1976, weighing in at over 1700 chapters and 185 volumes. It had an anime series from 1996 to 2004.

Golgo 13, Dokaben and Abu-san are actually older than Kochikame but have fewer volumes published.
    Post edited by chaosof99 on
  • I was referring to manga still in production with anime counterparts also still in production.
  • edited May 2013
    If the manga somehow does go on forever, the anime will still likely end at a comfortable place, like the Hajime no Ippo anime.
    It certainly seems like the manga series has a designed ending, but I have a hard time believing that stopping in the middle wouldn't be somewhat frustrating on this one. There's no sign yet of smaller arcs within the story, and there are lots of mysteries about the world and characters.

Post edited by Nissl on
  • Detective Conan?
  • Detective Conan?
    That's probably the answer.
  • Okay, I'm up to episode 5 on Attack on Titan, and I have no fucking clue where they're going with it.
    Answer: To crazy, I-didn't-know-it-was-going-there whatthefucksville. Spoilers.

• I've watched the first four episodes of Flowers of Evil. The rotoscope effect is appropriately creepy. The show is scarier than its plot, characters and setting would seem to support.
  • edited May 2013
    Finished up episode 8 of Attack on Titan. The twist was not a really a surprise but still interesting nonetheless. I'm going to take a guess that others in the squad are going to have that same power if they don't already. Series could use some kind of master mind villain . Titans still look goofy as hell. The noble elite are fat cowards. Merchant class are greedy and self serving. Steam punk spider man crew are finally shaping up to something other than Titan feed.
    Post edited by Josh Bytes on
  • edited May 2013
    I was surprised by how he did what he did. I thought it was going to be something else, or
    that there would be a secret place that the titans take people after they eat them, and it's not traditional digestion. Alas, it was not to be.
    Post edited by Greg on
  • Best bargle in anime goes to...The Wings of Honnêamise.
  • edited May 2013
    Caught up with Attack on Titan. It definitely got beyond my initial qualms and is pretty darn good. I had a feeling that the thing that happened in episode 5 would not be the last word on the matter, and that suspicion was raised even more in the episodes leading up to this one. Still interested to see how the explanation and development of that plays out, though. There's clearly way more up with the titans than the humans know, and I can't wait to find out what that is.
    Post edited by Eryn on
  • Welp, caught up to episode 8 on Attack On Titan, and, well, that wasn't quite the twist I was expecting. Waiting eagerly for the next episode.
  • Caught up on Titan and about to start Penguindrum.
  • Re-watching through Penguindrum

I forgot how crazy Ringo actually was
    It's awesome how many small things that hint at events that won't even start till episode 18 happen very early on. There are even some scenes that last two seconds that show stuff that won't even be introduced until episode 20 or so.
  • edited June 2013
    Just caught up on this week's anime. Gargantia basically info-dumped what's going on with the Hideauze and Alliance, and we finally got some of that Urobuchi darkness going as well as some good nuance that is going to make everything tough to resolve. As far as I'm concerned, it's had too many missteps in both delivery and concept to go down as a great anime series, but I still like what it's trying to do and I'm certainly interested to watch the ending now.

Attack on Titan introduced a cool new character - I can see why he's a fan favorite on Twitter - and we got some great action scenes again, but the decision to skip the other characters into their new predicament wasn't a great one, particularly considering that it looks like they'll be in the same spot again for much of the next episode.

Maou-Sama had a really slow episode with not many laughs and with next week apparently being a beach episode I'm afraid it's running out of steam. I'm still enjoying the sheer amount of lying and working at cross-purposes in a lot of the conversations but somebody needs to make a move soon.
    Post edited by Nissl on
  • I was really liking the beginning of Attack on Titan, but these last three episodes have really done nothing for me (episode 9 being the worst culprit so far). I'm going to give it a few more weeks to re-impress me before I lose faith in it completely.
  • Yeah, ep 9 bothered me in that it spent twenty precious minutes doing what could have been done in five.