This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

What anime are you watching? v2.0

Comments

• edited June 2013
    Post edited by zehaeva on
  • edited June 2013
    Really impressive production values on that one.

Attack on Titan: The last two episodes could have been one episode, if not for introducing the new characters. Good, but not great like eps 5-8. Next week should be fun.

Gargantia: It's still a little more obvious than I'd like in spots, but I enjoyed this quite a bit. The ending is looking like it's gonna be pretty good now. I wish the show had cut back on the middle portion and showed its cards earlier.

Maou-Sama: Firmly in decent but not great or even good-tier sitcom land at this point. I laughed like crazy at Suzuno during the beach scene, though. Been waiting for a show to effectively make fun of that stuff for a long time.
    Post edited by Nissl on
  • Really impressive production values on that one.

Attack on Titan: The last two episodes could have been one episode, if not for introducing the new characters. Good, but not great like eps 5-8. Next week should be fun.

Gargantia: It's still a little more obvious than I'd like in spots, but I enjoyed this quite a bit. The ending is looking like it's gonna be pretty good now. I wish the show had cut back on the middle portion and showed its cards earlier.

Maou-Sama: Firmly in decent but not great or even good-tier sitcom land at this point. I laughed like crazy at Suzuno during the beach scene, though. Been waiting for a show to effectively make fun of that stuff for a long time.
    What do you mean by 'obvious'?
  • Lacking in finesse and/or subtlety in its presentation of a theme or plot point that's fundamentally worthwhile. For example, the info dump in the previous episode was pretty interesting, but it certainly strained credulity that all of that data was reassembled into a coherent narrative on the fly by Chamber. Or the way the episode before that shoved Ridget, who had very little development before that, into the foreground and asked us to suddenly care about her (with violins accompanying throughout). The number of times we've revisited how the Alliance treats weak people. And so on.
  • edited June 2013
    Just watched Attack On Titan episode 10. I feel like I would be a lot less critical of this show if I wasn't waiting a week to see each new episode, because gosh this story is moving SLOWLY. Not to say that I don't enjoy the story, it's just that after every single one of the last 4 or 5 episodes, I've thought "oh was that it?"
    Post edited by P_TOG on
  • The manga moves slowly as well. I have no idea what they plan to accomplish in a single season...
  • The manga moves slowly as well. I have no idea what they plan to accomplish in a single season...
    Hoo, boy. Maybe I should just jump ship while I still have the chance. This is officially the Danger Zone.
  • I feel vindicated in my decision not to watch until it's done.
  • edited June 2013
    There are shows that work better watching bunches at a time. I find waiting for a 5 eps block is best. I've been enjoying the show and haven't found pacing issues because of the batch method to my knowledge, I really can't see how you guys find the show slow. I bet it's more to do that you are not used to watching one eps as it comes out.
    Post edited by Cremlian on
  • Rewatching GaoGaiGar with my kid.
  • There are shows that work better watching bunches at a time. I find waiting for a 5 eps block is best. I've been enjoying the show and haven't found pacing issues because of the batch method to my knowledge, I really can't see how you guys find the show slow. I bet it's more to do that you are not used to watching one eps as it comes out.
    The first three episodes moved at a pace I could get into. Things moved quickly and everything was straight to the point. Now, next week we're getting "Battle of Trost Part 7" and I don't know, man.
  • edited June 2013
    Caught up on Attack on Titan, Flowers of Evil and Gargantia. Gargantia is always the scary one, because it's not an adaptation. Episode 9 had a major reveal, but I'm still nervous about where this is going.

I also watched another episode of Valvrave, which is just ridiculous.

Anyone keeping up with Devil Survivor 2?
    Post edited by VichusSmith on
  • Last two episodes of Attack on Titan have been a long, useless recap done in the dullest style possible. I can't take another one.
  • Anyone keeping up with Devil Survivor 2?
    Haven't seen this weeks episode yet, but otherwise been following it.

• I kinda thought the show was about the battle of Trost, trying to figure out what the titans are while fighting to survive and looking into the background of the characters. Not sure what the problem is. Would be like saying some World War II show should get the war over with.
  • edited June 2013
    I kinda thought the show was about the battle of Trost, trying to figure out what the titans are while fighting to survive and looking into the background of the characters. Not sure what the problem is. Would be like saying some World War II show should get the war over with.
    It doesn't really seem like the show is about that, though.
    We were even just introduced to the element of Eren having to get back to his house, which doesn't really have anything to do with Trost.
    I don't even mean to necessarily say the show is boring because of Trost, it's just that (as Constantine said a couple posts up) they sure are stretching it out and taking their sweet time with it. It's not that I get bored without action or anything, either. I just feel like this show is filling time with a lot of nothing, and it's moments of suspense (like Armin's thing in 10) are not done in a way that feels suspenseful to me. It just feels unnecessarily lengthy.

EDIT: Maybe, though, like you said, this is just me not being used to waiting a week between episodes. That's possible, because I've never really done this with a show before, but I don't think that's the whole reason. Although I will admit that I'm being much more critical of each episode as I watch it, and that's definitely because of the format.
    Post edited by P_TOG on
  • Since GeekNights won't stop mentioning it, I'm watching Madoka Magica.
  • It's impressive that you've held out this long.
  • Since GeekNights won't stop mentioning it, I'm watching Madoka Magica.
    Not a single show better than Madoka has come out since Madoka. There have been good shows, but not one better.
  • edited June 2013
    I'm only in two episodes of Madoka Magica so far it seems like just another magical girl show. I like the acid trippy style witches though reminds me of Monty Python arts.
    Post edited by Josh Bytes on
  • The acid trippy witches should already be telling you it's not quite "just another" magical girl show, but just hold out for the next one.
  • Last two episodes of Attack on Titan have been a long, useless recap done in the dullest style possible. I can't take another one.
    C'mon, we met some new characters and saw some good new action scenes, and next episode should be pretty fun. I'd complain more about the long shonen-y drama scenes than the recap elements.
  • Currently catching up on good shows from the last year and change. Right now Psycho Pass is proving to be very entertaining. I know From the New World, A Woman Called Fujiko Mine, Another, and Polar Bear Cafe are worth at least checking out. Any other recommendations from you all?
  • Devil is a Part-timer, maybe?
  • Seen up to episode 8 of Attack on Titan. That's some intense shit.
  • I cheated and read some of the Attack on Titan manga. All I can say is that shit gets real exciting again real soon and hopefully the anime will stop with the Dragonballesque 'oh shit, he's raising his power!!!' Slow episodes...
  • I cheated and read some of the Attack on Titan manga. All I can say is that shit gets real exciting again real soon and hopefully the anime will stop with the Dragonballesque 'oh shit, he's raising his power!!!' Slow episodes...
    I wish it was as awesome as those Dragon Ball power-raising episodes.
  • Still not seeing the "oh Shit, he's raising his power" eps. Are we watching different shows? I'm on eps 9.
  • Still not seeing the "oh Shit, he's raising his power" eps. Are we watching different shows? I'm on eps 9.
    By that I mean episodes that don't move the story forward but instead take 20 minutes to cover something that could have been covered in one or two minutes.

• In episode 10, one of the characters says that it'll be 20 seconds until something is finished. It then takes 3 minutes and 10 seconds. I know that I'm being super nit-picky but it's hard not to be when I already thought the show was moving slowly and they throw a real number in my face!