This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

What anime are you watching? v2.0

Comments

• edited July 2013
    Just watched the movie version of Time of Eve after hearing about its successful Kickstarter (which is giving me a lot of hope we'll actually get another LWA episode funded next week.) Definitely a big thumbs up. Perhaps it's a little more gentle and open-ended than perfectly ideal, and there were a few scenes that didn't quite play for me, but I liked pretty much everything about it. I've always liked androids ever since reading Asimov as a kid, and this one really handled the tech and setting well and turned it around to do a lot of good exploration of the human condition.
    Post edited by Nissl on
  • the super controversial
    How the bloody fuck? It's yet another KyoAni slice of life anime. The only change from the formula is the gender of the characters, the rest is the exact fucking same shit they've been making since Suzumiya!
    Yeah, the one on the left is naked.
    Though you can clearly see the outline of the shorts underwater.

As for me, first thing after returning home: Monogatari S2 ep 1. GLORIOUS. Monogatari S2 > Nisemonogatari already.
  • Because butts.

Anyway, watched Ep. 1 of Servant x Service. It's pretty funny. I was laughing for most of the episode. Scrym hit the nail on the head in regards to this show in their Judging Anime by It's Cover panel.

Also, listen to this, while looking at this.

This is Hasabe, by the way, and he's the best. I would watch a show focused solely on him.
  • ^ <3 <3 <3 \ ( ^ . ^ ) /
  • brilliant
  • Yeah, that might be my favorite attack on titan opening parody right there. Glad to see someone put it up on Youtube finally.
  • Scarier than the original.
  • edited July 2013
    I've watched maybe half of the shows of the Summer season. That's just Crunchyroll, though. I wonder what Funimation will be streaming.

I think Servant X Service will be my show to watch this season. I will also watch Free because it's beautiful, and I guess It's making me totally gay. I've seen a naked teenage anime boy jump in a pool. I think my transformation has begun.
    Post edited by VichusSmith on
  • Finally got around to episode 2 of Giant Robo. Jeremy and I have to finish this series before Sunday, because we are seeing Pacific Rim on that day. I'm really loving the warrior peoples. At first I was like, why the fuck is that guy on a horse? Shouldn't he be on some sort of car or rocket ship? How is this cool? I was easily proven wrong.
  • In that show, the people are basically giant robots. Everyone is a giant robot. Everything is a giant robot.

Except the kid. He has the giantest robot, but himself is just a kid.
  • My problem with Giant Robo is that it is not Johnny Sakko. But I realize this isn't an impediment for everyone. And I still did manage to get through the whole series.
  • Servant x Service Ep. 2 has the best homage/parody. Go watch it if you haven't.
  • So, after seeing that tumblr of dudes mad about Free!, I decided to watch the first episode of it. It was really good.

I'm also finally watching Genshiken 2, so I can watch Genshiken Second Season. These names are very confusing.
  • I just started rewatching Genshiken, had no idea that a new season was coming, wow so stoked now. The ending of Genshiken 2 got me so hard.
  • edited July 2013
    Got back into Texnolyze (you would think that was a name out of the 90s). Why are there "beaver rats" in this show? The things you pick up on when you watch a show again.

I've also watched the first ep of every new show Crunchyroll has put out, except for this show about folktales or something?

Gatchaman Crowds is ANNOYING! Watch it at your own peril.
    Post edited by VichusSmith on
  • edited July 2013
    Watched the first 2 episodes of Free! to spite the Internet. It would be better without the lone girl's only purpose being to point out all of the fanservice. Overall, it's not bad, but it's no Chihayafuru.
    Post edited by Linkigi(Link-ee-jee) on
  • I just started rewatching Genshiken, had no idea that a new season was coming, wow so stoked now. The ending of Genshiken 2 got me so hard.
    Started already, even!
    http://www.crunchyroll.com/genshiken-second-season

I don't know what the lead-up to this was like, but to me it feels like it's out of nowhere!
  • For those interested, ADTRW is doing a simulwatch of Escaflowne
  • edited July 2013
    So I just finished rewatching Genshiken 1 and 2 and am halfway through the first ep of Genshiken Second Generation and holy shit. After the emotional rollercoaster that is the end of Genshiken 2, the new season is making me incredibly happy so far. It's so funny and awesome for them to focus on fujoshi instead of male otaku.

Also major applause for the (minor spoiler?) new transgender main character.
    Post edited by Sail on
  • I just finished Sword Art Online on a friend's recommendation. I liked the first half, but the second half was pretty bad. Especially near the end, I found myself watching the last few episodes just so I could be done with the show. Meh.
  • Show with very cool premise, not much capitalizing on it. Also the novels were more interesting. Not amazing, but more interesting.
  • edited July 2013
    I haven't been around these parts in a while, but Rym and I have actually been on an anime watching kick as of late.

What I am watching:

Space Brothers - Of course (I think I wrote about that before, though.) There has been plenty of awesome engineer moments in the past few story arcs, and the most recent turn of events has been quite sad. Always a good show.

Attack on Titan - This got really popular with my friends and my coworkers, and so we broke down and watched it a week ago. Although we meant to only watch a few episodes, we ended up practically marathoning it over a couple of days. It's awesome and intense! Mikasa is a badass! The titans are horrible uncanny valley monstrosities with too many teeth. The show is difficult to predict, bloody, and scary, and named characters get killed off all the time. Totally digging it.

Free! - This show is ridiculous and it knows it. It doesn't take itself too seriously, and is always up for silly jokes. Haru will try to jump in any pool he sees, even if it is a tub at the home depot. (Haru x water is my OTP for this show.) Also, the fanservicey character designs are really pretty well done! It's nice to see defined musculature/athletic body types on pretty characters for once. Also, Gou, the girl, is very cute. ("Those delts!~")

I also just finished Kimi to Boku, which is a nice relaxing show that I read the manga for a few years back. Instead of cute high school girl slice of life, it is basically the same thing only with high school boys. Very pastel, funny, and calm.

Edit: There was one other one, "The Eccentric Family." A weird show about tanuki, set in Kyoto. I recognized a lot of places from the backgrounds. I am going to keep watching.
    Post edited by gomidog on
  • I can't get into Flowers of Evil. I gave it the first four episodes. For a 13 episode show, I think that's enough to say I don't like it. Not sure what to watch instead for the rest of my Sailor Moon burnout. Maybe some Rose of Versailles. I do love me some classic shoujo.
  • There are two magical shows this summer...
  • For those who aren't watching Free, here's four reasons why you should.

• edited July 2013
    Yeah, I tried Watamote, Silver Spoon, Servant x Service, Free, and Rozen Maiden last night, and to my surprise the winner was Free. It's just so ridiculous and self-aware, and yet the story pulled me along well enough. The three more explicitly comedic shows didn't work for me as I was hoping. Silver Spoon was the best, but as a vegetarian I don't really want to watch chickens getting their heads cut off, and everything about its coming of age plot seems pretty telegraphed. Servant x Service had a neat intro but its sense of humor - hey we're going to say what people are actually thinking, ohmygosh - didn't do anything for me at all. Oh well, looking forward to the Time of Eve director's short at A-1 next year. Watamote's core concept was just annoying; nobody is that oblivious to how unpopular they are. Rozen Maiden had some interesting psychedelic dreamworld scenes but I found it hard to care about the plot. Might still give it another episode.

I was going to try Danganronpa as well, but it wasn't on CR and I have not been hearing good things about the adaptation quality.
    Post edited by Nissl on
  • I was going to try Danganronpa as well, but it wasn't on CR and I have not been hearing good things about the adaptation quality.
    Yea, Danganronpa is no good. I might keep watching it just to see bits and scenes from the game in movement and with full voice acting, but I can't suggest anyone to watch it really.
    I checked out the first episode of Free, but it didn't grasp me in any way, so I'll leave it at that.
  • Watamote's core concept was just annoying; nobody is that oblivious to how unpopular they are.
    She's deluded, but not totally oblivious.

I was going to try Danganronpa as well, but it wasn't on CR and I have not been hearing good things about the adaptation quality.
    It's on Hulu. I feel like it's directly inspired with Battle Royale, but I can't take those characters, if you can even call them that. There's a level at which you can get away with flimsy character archetypes. Danganronpa falls below that. I like it's style, but there's nothing else to care about.