This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

What anime are you watching? v2.0

Comments

• G Gundam
    G Gundam is perfectly watchable ESPECIALLY with alcohol or a crowd of people. That show is awesomely cheesy.
  • G Gundam
    G Gundam is perfectly watchable ESPECIALLY with alcohol or a crowd of people. That show is awesomely cheesy.
    Damn right it is. I enjoy the totally over the top stereotyped international wrestling match that the show is before the story kicks in for real.
  • G Gundam
    Damn right it is. I enjoy the totally over the top stereotyped international wrestling match that the show is before the story kicks in for real.
    I liked G Gundam for serious as a kid, but I now I think it's ridiculous in so many ways and it's just really, really funny.
  • The idea of G Gundam is funny. A screenshot of Windmill or Tequila Gundam is lol. Actually spending hours watching the whole show, stupid.

Also, I really can't respect the "get drunk to watch it!" suggestion. You're suggesting that you should make yourself stupid to be able to enjoy something stupid. I got a better idea, only watch smart things. There's plenty of smart stuff you haven't seen, so kick that G Gundam to the curb.
  • There's plenty of smart stuff you haven't seen, so kick that G Gundam to the curb.
    Master Asia exists, so I cannot do this.
  • edited November 2010
    Also, I really can't respect the "get drunk to watch it!" suggestion. You're suggesting that you should make yourself stupid to be able to enjoy something stupid. I got a better idea, only watch smart things. There's plenty of smart stuff you haven't seen, so kick that G Gundam to the curb.
    Notice you are no fun at parties.

Plus, I notice you watched Fist of the North Star...
    Post edited by Cremlian on
  • I liked G Gundam for serious as a kid, but I now I think it's ridiculous in so many ways and it's just really, really funny.
    Damn it, now I feel old.
  • G Gundam
    G Gundam is exactly fun for those reasons, and if anything, it's original in the sense that it isn't a military drama like the others. And how can you not like Domon?

The hardest Gundam to watch? That'd be SD Gundam.
  • Plus, I notice you watched Fist of the North Star...
    Which was incredibly enjoyable in a non-drunk state. Not true of G Gundam.
    Double true.
  • edited November 2010
    SD Gundam? Yeah, it's difficult to watch something that never existed.

Also, Scott mentioned Double Zeta Gundam as being awful; that is actually a case of Zeta Gundam officially having no son. The Zeta Gundam movie retconned Double Zeta out of existence.
    The idea is to be drinking socially at a small gathering, and then get some G Gundam going to riff on collectively, like a party game. Not to sit down in your hikikomori Otaku Cave with a bottle of vodka and just drink steadily, alone, until you enjoy it.

Also, I'm officially dubbing the area past my living room the Otaku Cave.
    Post edited by WindUpBird on
  • The idea is to be drinking socially at a small gathering, and then get some G Gundam going to riff on collectively, like a party game.
    I think I'm the only person, even FRC included, who wants to engage in cerebral activities in a party context. Just because we are in a group at a party doesn't mean we have to watch something dumb or even fun. It also doesn't mean that alcohol must or should be imbibed. It's like what, the company of others isn't enough for you, you need to be chemically stimulated as well? I'd much rather watch something intelligent, even if it's horribly depressing, than something stupid, even if it's fun. I'll pick Schindler's List over OMG Zombies, or Die Macher over Apples to Apples, but not one person is with me.
  • edited November 2010
    Which was incredibly enjoyable in a non-drunk state. Not true of G Gundam.
    It's another case of "I'm Scott Rubin, if you don't watch media the way I like and type of media I like. You are doing it wrong" (trademark 1982)
  • edited November 2010
    Just because we are in a group at a party doesn't mean we have to watch something dumb or even fun
    So we shouldn't have FUN at a party?????????

I would note you once picked Cannibal the Musical...
  • So we shouldn't have FUN at a party?????????
    It's fun for you, I have more fun watching smart things.
    I would note you once picked Cannibal the Musical...
    And I was the only one who appreciated it.
  • I'll pick Schindler's List over OMG Zombies, or Die Macher over Apples to Apples, but not one person is with me.
    If someone turned on Schindler's List at a party, I'd leave. I like thought-provoking movies a lot, but when I'm in a setting with friends for the purpose of having fun, I'd rather have something comedic or hot-blooded. Black Dynamite generally does the job.
  • Black Dynamite generally does the job.
    A fine choice. Simultaneously hilarious and intelligent. Still, I'd rather watch a classic.
  • It's fun for you, I have more fun watching smart things.
    I don't know if you know this, but I attend a movie night every month where we watch some documtary or movie and then have a 2 to 3 hour discussion. That's FINE if the point of the gathering. But at a gathering of friends for the sake of fun it might be better to put on the trashy movie or comedy.
  • I don't know if you know this, but I attend a movie night every month where we watch some documtary or movie and then have a 2 to 3 hour discussion. That's FINE if the point of the gathering. But at a gathering of friends for the sake of fun it might be better to put on the trashy movie or comedy.
    If the smart movie is fun, why not more?
  • edited November 2010
    It's fun for you, I have more fun watching smart things.
    I don't know if you know this, but I attend a movie night every month where we watch some documtary or movie and then have a 2 to 3 hour discussion. That's FINE if the point of the gathering. But at a gathering of friends for the sake of fun it might be better to put on the trashy movie or comedy.
    And maybe consume large volumes of drink. While I disagree with the idea that alcohol is consumed out of some need to seek something more than the company of friends at a party, I would agree with Apreche in that a good ridiculous movie is often more fun than a total piece of garbage, but ScoJo's point about trashy movies is equally valid.. Face/Off is completely ridiculous and well-made; it's probably a good party choice. Sweet Sweetback's Baaaaaaaadass Song is good for different reasons, but often completely fucking laughable. Plan 9, Jesus Christ Vampire Hunter, a lot of Kaiju, and Troll 2 are completely awesome bad movies that are fantastic choices for party films.

Alcohol really only sweetens the pot, here.
    Post edited by WindUpBird on
  • edited November 2010
    I would agree with Scott in that a good ridiculous movie is often more fun than a total piece of garbage.
    I hope you realize from your comment I can't tell which Scott you are agreeing with because you sort of agreed with both of us in your statement ;-p
  • If the smart movie is fun, why not more?
    Because smart movies take thinking and effort and don't always work in the party setting. If I'm going to watch a serious movie, then it's serious business and everyone needs to shut the hell up and sit down. That doesn't usually mix with a party.
  • I would agree with Scott in that a good ridiculous movie is often more fun than a total piece of garbage.
    I hope you realize from your comment I can't tell which Scott you are agreeing with because you sort of agreed with both of us in your statement ;-p
    That's true. Fine, I agree with both of you.
    If the smart movie is fun, why not more?
    Because smart movies take thinking and effort and don't always work in the party setting. If I'm going to watch a serious movie, then it's serious business and everyone needs to shut the hell up and sit down. That doesn't usually mix with a party.
    This is the crux of it. If every one wants to think, smart movie. If people don't want to think, I threw Black Dynamite in the Xbox before I walked in the room.
  • This is the crux of it. If every one wants to think, smart movie. If people don't want to think, I threw Black Dynamite in the Xbox before I walked in the room.
    Scott is just bitching to bitch. He proved that when he countered my retort of Cannibal the musical with "I'm the only one who can appreciate it."
  • Because smart movies take thinking and effort and don't always work in the party setting. If I'm going to watch a serious movie, then it's serious business and everyone needs to shut the hell up and sit down. That doesn't usually mix with a party.
    Maybe you could sit down a shut up? I have no problem doing such.
    I'm the only one who can appreciate it.
    I didn't say I was the only one who could appreciate it. I said I was the only one who did appreciate it. That's a big one-word difference right there.
  • I said I was the only one who did appreciate it
    Actually I was enjoying it, but I knew it was the wrong tone at the time for the get together ;-p
  • I said I was the only one who did appreciate it
    Actually I was enjoying it, but I knew it was the wrong tone at the time for the get together ;-p
    Team Scott
  • edited November 2010
    Watched a terrible anime last night it a sequel at that. To Aru Majutsur no Indexx II. There are 3 Christian factions battling it out for some Nun who has a secret forbidden book hidden in her soul or something. It's terrible but I can't help myself and want to see how it all ends.
    Post edited by Josh Bytes on
  • Oh snaps! Mobile Suit Gundam 0079 is WAY better than I thought it would be! First episode? Almost a man-tear.
  • Kuragehime is getting better and better every episode. This is shaping up to be my favorite anime this season.
  • G Gundam is awesome because of its manliness, it is true that can be cheesy in english. I loved it because of its cheesiness. My love to G Gundam pushed me to buy the 2 box sets and I watched in Japanese. I gotta say, it was a completely different experience. I would recommend to watch it if only because it was made by Yatsuhiro Imagawa, who is someone that so far has done no wrong so far (I haven't watch Seven of Seven, so I might be wrong).
    I just need to watch the opening to see how awesome over the top it can get: