This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

What anime are you watching? v2.0

Comments

• When I watched EVA, one issue I always had against it were the enemies that NERV had to fight against. Do you think not getting into them either has something to do with it?
  • Having thought about it some, the commentator is probably the most awesome Dragon Ball character.
  • Having thought about it some, the commentator is probably the most awesome Dragon Ball character.
    One of the awesomest certainly. I look at the nimbus as a less cool Appa.
  • Started watching WitchBlade on Netflix. Other than the fighting is there a reason for the MA rating?
  • edited October 2010
    I'm catching up with Fairy Tail ATM. It's a shonen fighting show, so perhaps people here won't be as interested, but it has a clear advantage over shows like Naruto, Bleach or One Piece in that it is finite and therefore things are not stretched out until all eternity just to keep the show running while preventing it from catching up with the manga. In that manner it is rather comparable to Soul Eater or Hajime no Ippo, though it doesn't reach the same level of awesome as Ippo does.

The material itself is somewhat of a One Piece rip-off. It is more or less understandable, since the original author used to be an assistant to the author of One Piece, but perhaps this could also help for people like Scott who thought that One Piece dragged on too much.

The narrative is more from the perspective of the female lead, a young sorceress named Lucy who joins a guild of mages called Fairy Tail, but we are basically following the exploits of the male protagonist Natsu, a combat-mage from the same guild who employs fire-based "Dragon Slayer" magic. Basically everything in the setting revolves around magic with very varied forms of magic and varying degrees of combat strength of course, ranging from dancing and writing something into the air in front of you, to creating hammers of ice out of thin air and magically equipping fire-resistant armor, though it seems that for the sake of the story one mage is restricted to one form of magic which prevents the shonen anime power creep known from various other series. Guilds in this universe are like clubs of mages who sometimes fight each other, but usually a guild is where a mage goes to get a job which can be anything in between "retrieve lost item a" and "save us from the bad guys".

It's certainly not of the highest order, but it is quite enjoyable. Plus it has actually pretty decent metal and folk metal as background music during the fights. Unfortunately this is the best I could muster up on YouTube, but I've heard heavier and faster metal in the show too. They also at one point got a Krauser-esque metalhead as an enemy mini-boss whose mannerisms while fighting were hilarious in their own right.
    Post edited by chaosof99 on
  • I remember reading the first few chapters of Fairy Tail on some manga scanlation site. How is the cast dynamic? I presume it follows the same team formula as most action series in anime do. e.x loud mouth short tempered character, calm slightly offbeat character etc.
  • I remember reading the first few chapters of Fairy Tail on some manga scanlation site. How is the cast dynamic? I presume it follows the same team formula as most action series in anime do. e.x loud mouth short tempered character, calm slightly offbeat character etc.
    Perhaps the TVTropes character sheet will help you there more than any description I could come up with..
  • Just finished watching WitchBlade on Netflix. Is this show missing some episodes? Near the end I got the feeling I missed an episode or two worth of storyline.
  • Finally getting around to watching the rest of Eden of the East. Pretty intriguing.
  • Finally getting around to watching the rest of Eden of the East. Pretty intriguing.
    I really enjoyed it up to the second movie. It just drags on and on and on.
  • I really enjoyed it up to the second movie. It just drags on and on and on.
    The end of the show was an ending. What's up with the movies?
  • I really enjoyed it up to the second movie. It just drags on and on and on.
    The end of the show was an ending. What's up with the movies?
    The first movie has a lot more of the other Selecao and them trying to get rid of Takizawa so they can "fix" Japan. The second one wraps it up, but is way too talky talky.
  • Eden of the East is fun. After, I plan to re-watch Trigun and then finish Ergo Proxy.
  • Xam'd: Lost Memories is a bit generic but otherwise decent.

None spoiler plot summary: Group A and Group B are at war. Hero gets caught in the middle of it and ends up with special powers. Weird magical girl shows up to help him out, and travels with him on a path of self discovery. Stuff happens.

The art and the opener are very good. The side characters are more interesting to me then the main guy.
  • Eden of the East is fun. After, I plan to re-watch Trigun and then finish Ergo Proxy.
    Also, let us watch the last few episodes of Baccano! We need to finish that show!
  • Re: Xam'd: One of the better ones of those shows. Scratches an itch, so to speak.
  • edited October 2010
    Kuragehime, this show is so awesome, hopefully they won't screw it up.
    Post edited by La Petit Mort on
  • I'm finally going to follow the new anime season this year for the first time. Right now, I'm following The World God Only Knows, Kuragehime and Squid Girl.
  • Amagami just keeps getting better and better. It's completely generic and silly and has no drama or conflict but it's just makes me smile.
  • edited November 2010
    Watched all of what's available so far for Star Driver: Kagayaki no Takuto. The more I watch it, the more I am convinced that this is a remake of Revolutionary Girl Utena crossbred with Gurren Lagann. It's actually pretty awesome, save some clunkiness and questionable dialogue choices in the first episode. Starts to find a good groove pretty quickly after that.

Out of interest's sake, here's a running list I've been making of similarities between Utena and Star Driver (cross-posted from the Rose Garden forum). So far, as of episode 4, we have:

- A mysterious council made up of students with a veritable rainbow of hair colours.
    - A secluded, exclusive boarding school (located on an island for added "kind of hard to leave" factor).
    - Fights that take place in a separate space from the normal world (it's like the duel arena... IN SPAAAAACE).
    - The lead character coming from outside the circle that's engaging in these fights and yet somehow having the special mark required to enter the battle space.
    - The members of the shadowy group fighting for the Rose Br-- er, Southern Maiden so that they might break her seal and revolutionize the world with giant robots.
    - Fights never resulting in anyone actually being injured or killed despite the violence involved.
    - A narrow-eyed, green-haired, hot-headed guy getting his ass handed to him in episode one, followed by him holing up in his room training for a rematch in episode two.
    - A cute animal mascot for the designated damsel-in-distress character, with a distinctive cry ("kyu! kyu!"), an immediate liking for the main character, and fur that matches its mistress's hair colour.
    - A device people climb into to control robots called a Cybercasket (coffin imagery anyone?).
    - A girl saying that Takuto seems like a noble prince on a white horse.
    - Questionable relationships, sexual innuendo, and a marriage/engagement theme. Two of the leads, Wako and Shindo, are engaged simply because Wako is a miko and it's tradition for men in Shindo's family to marry mikos; also, there's a first-year high-school girl who's married to a 65-year-old tycoon who we never see, and she likes to kiss people through glass panes. Benio's abilities are all about controlling people through her kisses, and she almost looks like she's going to take advantage of Takuto in the bath once. Not to mention all the uniforms for the *cough*Student Council*cough* Glittering Star Crux are all kind of fetish-y.
    - Spoiler: Tauburn can draw Star Swords from its chest.
    - Spoiler: A seemingly background-y character longing for one of the mains and being mind-controlled/manipulated through that feeling into a fight with the protagonist (sort of). Of course, she has no memory of doing so afterward.
    - Spoiler: Wako is bound to her position as a miko, and as such cannot leave her coffin the island.
    - This!
    Post edited by Eryn on
  • Watched the first episode of Kuragehime last night. I haven't had that much fun watching a first episode in a while!
  • Also, let us watch the last few episodes of Baccano! We need to finish that show!
    If you haven't finished it by the next time I visit I am sitting you both down and making you finish that show.
  • I'm planning to watch just about all of BECK over a week. In terms of new anime, nothing really sticks out with me. I might go with something humorous this season, but I'm just wondering if I want it in PxSwG, Squid Girl, or going through Arakawa Under The Bridge (And Bridgey-Bridge)
  • I'm enjoying the Bakuman anime. The show does a good job of working in with the 'this is how a manga is made' without it being boring. Could be just me though as I kind of like that stuff.
  • I'm enjoying the Bakuman anime. The show does a good job of working in with the 'this is how a manga is made' without it being boring. Could be just me though as I kind of like that stuff.
    I find metafiction like that fascinating, so you're not alone. There should be more media about the creative process.
  • GeoGeo
    edited October 2010
    Having recently read Anne of Green Gables (the book I finished right before starting The Wonderful Wizard of Oz), I had heard there was an anime adaptation due to it being part of the World Masterpiece Theater yearly series. After also hearing that Takahata and Miyazaki had a heavy hand in making it. Armed with this knowledge, I decided to see how it could compare to the book. Color me amazed, not only is it is exactly like the book, it is also quite beautiful both in terms of artistic styling and storytelling mechanisms. Like in the book, Anne is both cute and endearing in a lovable way. Her optimistic attitude and never ending imagination is something that is hard not love/became attached to. I highly, highly recommend you watch this. It's fully fansubbed, so it is quite easy to find on the interwebs.
    Post edited by Geo on
  • Saw episode 1 of Kuragehime last night and then episode 2 tonight. I really like it so far. The cast are all otaku females who live together in a co-op type dorm. Each one has a different obsession ranging from romance of the three kingdoms to jellyfish. I'm not exactly sure what one of the girls obsession is though. I think it has something to do with butlers and older men. Anyhow the girls lives are upturned when the jellyfish girl has a run in with one of the fashion people. Who turns out to be more than she seems. It's a really cute and fun series and I'm looking forward to watching more.
  • I am re-watching the Dragon Ball Z Dragon Box 4, shit is gonna go down! :O
    SPOILER: Goku dies :O
  • Saw episode 1 of Kuragehime last night and then episode 2 tonight. I really like it so far.
    I do too! I like the opener too, with all the movie parodies.
  • edited October 2010
    The opener song is cute also. The band Chatmonchy was here last spring for a Girls Rock Camp concert at some cafe. Wish I would have went.

Post edited by Josh Bytes on