This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

What anime are you watching? v2.0

Comments

• The portrayal of Renge is worth watching the series alone. I love her over-the-top portrayal in the anime vs. manga.

• The window show is an Utena homage. Of course, half of Ouran is an Utena homage.
  • The window show is an Utena homage. Of course, half of Ouran is an Utena homage.
    Sold. Utena will be my next show.
    It's one of the better shows out there. "A" territory. Very little else is quite like it.
    Hah. What Scott said is misleading, but you should still watch Utena. It's one of my favorite shows, Jeremy.
    Hah. What Scott said is misleading, but you should still watch Utena. It's one of my favorite shows, Jeremy.
    Double sold.
  • Read it's name and now I once again want to re-watch Utena. Definitely one of my favorite animes.
  • edited August 2012
    I just went and watched a bunch of Ouran clips on youtube last night. I stand by my assertion that is a very funny show. It wasn't the referential humor, it was mainly the timing of the characters reactions that I found highly amusing. I love the part when they are all geeking out over instant "commoner" coffee and Haruhi is getting annoyed.
    Post edited by gomidog on
  • The host club guys are absolute dorks, and I love them for it. Their reactions to the most mundane things (and even the not so mundane) are a key part to Ouran's humor.
  • edited August 2012
    That's it. They take these guys who are supposed to be all hot and cool and make them very comedic. Tamaki is such a dumb blonde, but he is also well intentioned, and that makes him endearing.
    Post edited by gomidog on
  • edited August 2012

Post edited by Josh Bytes on
  • Tamaki is such a dumb blonde, but he is also well intentioned, and that makes him endearing.
    They crafted some really strong characters across the board, and it really let the creator go in interesting places. Most shows that are comedic but also reach for the dramatic tend to fall on their face. Ouran though...they shoot for the stars, and when they miss they hit the trees.
  • Watching Ah My Goddess S01E02. So far so good.
  • I would suggest watching the OVAs since they are a bit better, but I doubt they have that on netflix. Otherwise it's a pretty good show.
  • GeoGeo
    edited August 2012
    Have you seen Cowboy Bebop in any capacity, muppet? If not, that has to be occupying the top position on your bucket list. I and a frighteningly large amount of people maintain it is one of the greatest anime series ever made. You cannot not watch it. If you want a reason why, go back into the Geeknights archive, dig up and listen to the episode on it. They will provide an excellent case (non-spoilery I might add) as to why you should watch it.
    Post edited by Geo on
  • I've seen Bebop three times and the movie. I'm not an anime virgin, here. I'm just typically extremely picky and most didn't appeal to me until more recently.
  • I've seen Bebop three times and the movie. I'm not an anime virgin, here. I'm just typically extremely picky and most didn't appeal to me until more recently.
    Okay. I'm just making sure. You're awesome by the way. Anyone who watch Bebop thrice is totally cool in my book.

• edited August 2012
    Starting watching Kids on the slope again. Just finished up episode 7. The way Karou and Sentaro work things out was pretty cool. Looking forwarded to finishing the series up.
    Post edited by Josh Bytes on
  • Is anyone else watching Sword Art Online? I'm personally really enjoying it.
  • Is anyone else watching Sword Art Online? I'm personally really enjoying it.
    Yeah, a few of us apparently.
  • Hello, Random guy here.
    I just felt like listing the anime I am watching at the moment:

Fate/Zero: I like the world, the characters (I go "ALEXANDER!!!!!" every time he is being cool), the animation, and the story... Beside the beginning of the second season, this show hasn't disappoint me.
    Sword Art Online: A similar premise to .Hack, but so much better executed. While the new episodes haven't satisfy me as much in this regard, I do like the idea of people making a living in a forced virtual world, and the dilemmas that put in their lives.
    Space Brothers: I don't know. I like the story, since it is funny and interesting, and I sort of relate with the main character that wants to follow a dream.
    HxH 2011: Everyone has the right to watch a single Action Shonen, no? Well, this is the one I am watching right now.
    Humanity has Decline: Random (A la Excel Saga), but it feels like there is some sort of coherence behind it all. Sort of like there is a deeper meaning.
    Kokoro Connect: Well... what can I say? I do like a bit of Drama in my life.
    And lastly, Kid on a Slope: Just started watching this one, and I am hooked. I do like shows with music as a central theme (like Beck or Nodame), and the Jazz theme on this one is not a exception.

Well, that is all, move along.
  • I never thought I'd like Ouran, but then I actually sat down and watched it, and fell in love with the show.

Polar Bear Cafe: All caught up, still loving every minute of it.

Humanity Has Declined: All caught up. Not sure whether I like it or not but can't stop watching. The essential premise is interesting, and the fairies are genuinely creepy. I'm disappointed that there haven't been more suicidal bakery products.

Full Metal Alchemist (original): I'm enjoying it more than I thought I would. It just started getting interesting around episode 21.

RideBack: Watched most of it on Sunday, still need to finish up the last couple episodes. It's an enjoyable action show, but I don't give a damn about any of the characters. It's like a basic mecha show with a little ballerina drama thrown in, and perhaps a hint of Eva around the edges.
  • Lupin III: Mine Fujiko to Iu Onna was fuckin' great.

I really liked the first episode of Utena.
  • Reading SOA still. At first, kinda wanted to stop. On book three now, and have crossed the bridge so to speak. Yeah... someone publish the english of this today so I can buy it. It's not just in my wheelhouse, it's reference material for me.
  • I'm probably going to start SOA just because of how much people are talking about it. While I'm in San Diego I only have access to Crunchyroll and Netflix (didn't save the anime on my hard drive to the iPad) so its between that and Polar Bear Cafe.
  • I think it's mostly just me talking about it. And I will once again state, I've been working on a PnP RPG set in a world of a futuristic MMORPG, so yeah... this is my dig at the moment.
  • Lupin III: Mine Fujiko to Iu Onna was fuckin' great.

I really liked the first episode of Utena.
    Zettai unmei. Mokishiroku!
  • An RPG in an RPG?
  • Yeah. That kind of thing.
  • What's the best thing on Netflix streaming to get someone who doesn't like anime or western cartoons into/respect them? I'm away from home, so I don't have access to my DVDs.