This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

What anime are you watching? v2.0

Comments

• I feel like I should have known better than to debate people who think that MLP has merit as an adult drama. :-P
    At the same time, I should have known better than to debate someone who's both incredibly condescending and has terrible taste in anime.
  • GeoGeo
    edited August 2012
    I feel like I should have known better than to debate people who think that MLP has merit as an adult drama. :-P
    At the same time, I should have known better than to debate someone who's both incredibly condescending and has terrible taste in anime.
    There is a cure for the latter (and I direct this at you muppet); the former is something you're on your own with. For the latter: listen to shows like Anime World Order and ANNcast. Consume reviews from the likes of Mike Toole, Hope Chapman (aka jesuotaku), and Justin Sevakis (amongst other ANN reviewers). Those will set you straight and perhaps fix the taste aberrations.

Post edited by Geo on
  • I really disagree with AWO. I think they have terrible taste in anime. I still listen to every episode though.
  • I really disagree with AWO. I think they have terrible taste in anime. I still listen to every episode though.
    Name some things they actively recommend that you think are terrible.
  • edited August 2012
    Ultimately, Muppet, you have failed to actually directly point out anything about it that is mature/vapid, whereas others of us have argued it's merits decently.
    I feel like I should have known better than to debate people who think that MLP has merit as an adult drama. :-P
    Also, no one likes ad hominem attacks.

At the same time, however, this is your daughter, so no one is telling you what to do. Show her what you wish.
    Post edited by Axel on
    Fist of the North Star, GitS:SAC, and Otaku no Video.
  • GeoGeo
    edited August 2012
    I really disagree with AWO. I think they have terrible taste in anime. I still listen to every episode though.
    Now I can see a case being made for Otaku no Video (it isn't relevant anymore now that the Internet generation exists) and FotNS (quit pretending, it isn't good); but why SAC? Do you hate police procedurals in general? If so, that's understandable. If not, then why do you dislike it?
    Post edited by Geo on
  • GeoGeo
    edited August 2012
    As for me, I too have disagreed with several recommendations from them as well. On that note, I distrust Gerald almost 95% of the time since he is either a really dumb contrarian (Summer Wars, Princess Tutu, and Cowboy Bebop are good anime) or his eyes are made of jade. Bobby's Girl and Harmageddon are not good at all despite how much Gerald overhypes them. Daryl is usually right 75% of the time (with the exception of Karas, Le Chevalier D'Eon, and The Dagger of Kamui). Clarissa is usually on the mark most of the time, except whenever she reviews yaoi/hentai, but I'm not into that sort of thing.
    Post edited by Geo on
  • I stopped listening to AWO a while back - while I agree with what Daryl says most of the time, I've found I just can't stand listening to Clarissa and Gerald. Also they almost never put out podcasts anyways.

My rule of thumb is to avoid anything Dave and Joel have podcasted about, unless their review is glowing.
  • Greg, you think Stand Alone complex is terrible? I have been transported to a frightening planet.

I don't listen to podcasts that agree with my opinion, especially since no one will be able to 100% match my tastes. I have been shocked frequently at what they dislike. Gerald has probably killed me the most.

Oh, muppet, I have a suggestion for you: Nabri No Ou
  • Just finished Kaiba, which I started last night. Such a great show.

Also, I love Ouran, I think. The colors are nice.
  • Even though I may disagree with AWO or Fast Karate reviews on anime. I still listen to them because they are entertaining and sometimes informative.
  • I just picture you doing that goofy grin you get in real life when you be trolling.
    So the problem is that you don't know me. Well, no fast remedy for that, sadly. I'm a pretty nice guy though. :)

As for condescension, Linkigi, it's funny you should say that, because next to Apreche, from my perspective you seem to be the second most condescending guy I've seen on here (maybe tied with Nine and from time to time, Andrew.)

I certainly don't mean to be condescending so you probably don't either. Toneless text and all that. That's why I tend to toss in emoticons... some stuff is just tongue-in-cheek and some of y'all need to calm down sometimes. These threads become defensive/adversarial pretty quickly when somebody goes against the grain on here...

I'll concede that I may have a mistaken impression of Ouran. I only saw isolated bits. The implied twincest and so on seemed a bit more creepy than funny to me and I'm not sure what context would "fix" it. Maybe I didn't see what I thought I saw, it didn't have my full attention.

• The implied twincest and so on seemed a bit more creepy than funny to me and I'm not sure what context would "fix" it. Maybe I didn't see what I thought I saw, it didn't have my full attention.
    Maybe watching the entire show while paying attention to it, that might help.

• The implied twincest and so on seemed a bit more creepy than funny to me and I'm not sure what context would "fix" it. Maybe I didn't see what I thought I saw, it didn't have my full attention.

Maybe it would. I'm not optimistic. Oh they're only joking about the twincest. Oh that's fine then. I was telling prison rape jokes to a group of five year olds at a birthday party just recently.
  • Linkigi isn't USUALLY condescending, he just tries very hard to be among the educated elite and sometimes looks down on "lesser" opinions.

And I know him in real life, so I'm allowed to criticize him.

Maybe it would. I'm not optimistic. Oh they're only joking about the twincest. Oh that's fine then. I was telling prison rape jokes to a group of five year olds at a birthday party just recently.
    They're using the idea of twincest to attract girls and give them nosebleeds and make money. And it's not explicit. It's all what the girls read into it.

• Yeah but see the thing about parodying twincest is that you still have to address twincest.
  • I guess. I could see not letting someone watch the show until they were in high school and knew how to deal with that, but the simple fact is that the twincest is only there because the audience (usually girls who already like yaoi) read into it. It requires foreknowledge of the subject to be noticed. Otherwise they just stand near each other and put their faces really close. You'd need to have advanced knowledge to realize exactly what the author is referencing.
  • Eh, maybe you're right.
  • Greg, you think Stand Alone complex is terrible? I have been transported to a frightening planet.
    Not terrible, just bad. Not a fan of crime dramas in general, and adding a layer of Ghost in the Shell doesn't fix my problems with them.
  • Eh, maybe you're right.
    Again, ultimately your parenting choice, but things to consider.
  • I still love AWO and I can't wait for their review of Unico :D
  • edited August 2012
    I just picture you doing that goofy grin you get in real life when you be trolling.
    So the problem is that you don't know me. Well, no fast remedy for that, sadly. I'm a pretty nice guy though. :)
    I met you at CTCon and you seemed chill enough. I think maybe you just tend to be a little snide when posting, but then again, I did make fun of your anime decisions.
    Post edited by gomidog on
  • Reading the translated novel form of SOA, it focuses on not what I thought it would focus on. So-far at least. Almost done with the first book. Reading a text file on my phone is NOT my preferred way to read things.
  • edited August 2012
    Greg, you think Stand Alone complex is terrible? I have been transported to a frightening planet.
    Not terrible, just bad. Not a fan of crime dramas in general, and adding a layer of Ghost in the Shell doesn't fix my problems with them.
    The fact that you happen to dislike crime dramas has little to do with whether Stand Alone Complex is a bad show (it isn't), and hardly constitutes a criticism of AWO's taste.
    Post edited by lackofcheese on
  • edited August 2012
    I really disagree with AWO. I think they have terrible taste in anime. I still listen to every episode though.
    FotNS? Whatever. Otaku no Video? Who cares?

GitS:SAC? You are a terrible person and are dead to me for the foreseeable future.
    Post edited by Victor Frost on
  • I just picture you doing that goofy grin you get in real life when you be trolling.
    I met you at CTCon and you seemed chill enough. I think maybe you just tend to be a little snide when posting, but then again, I did make fun of your anime decisions.
    Oh I'm WAY more than a LITTLE snide when posting...
  • Yeah but see the thing about parodying twincest is that you still have to address twincest.
    OK, let's hit the begged question. What's wrong with twincest?

• edited August 2012
    Yeah but see the thing about parodying twincest is that you still have to address twincest.
    OK, let's hit the begged question. What's wrong with twincest?

I'm not going to have another moral relativity debate, like, ever. :)

What's wrong with any sort of incest? What's wrong with bestiality? Are we assuming that speech is the only method of consent? That's ableist, isn't it? Dogs and cats, living together, and gays fucking turtles after getting gay married.

Post edited by muppet on