This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Your account name

Comments

• Watching Mr. Macross try to get an XBL accont yesterday was pretty funny. Everything he wanted was already taken. Even if you don't have an XBox, I suggest you go get a free GFWL account just to reserve your name, if it isn't unique like mine.
  • I combined two Pokemon I liked, RAIchu and growLITH, way back when in the long long ago.
  • I combined two Pokemon I liked, RAIchu and growLITH, way back when in the long long ago.
    Better than Growchu!
  • Better than Growchu!
  • Back when I was 9, I was trying to come up with a name for use on the Internets. Link and Luigi were my two favorite video game characters, hence, linkigi. The Taiwanese steel manufacturer is unrelated, and other than them, I have never seen anyone else use it.
  • edited February 2009
    Sparhawk is the main character in two book series by one of my favorite authors David Eddings, and when I was trying to pick an AIM handle about 8 years ago it was one of the first things to come to mind.
    Sounds like LeGuin's Sparrowhawk.

My name comes from my admiration of Rome and a common phrase. Not so interesting.
    Post edited by Magnum_Opus on
  • Unlike Nine I have a legitimate and non-random reason for changing my name. I have changed my name to Yupa because it seems to be the moniker that I go by on the forums and the internet lately, thus the dropping of "Lord". Or it could be because I got demoted so hard for fucking up all the time in my royal affairs ^_^
  • Well, I had two handles I go by on the interwebs, my first and mostly not used anymore is Astralwand mainly because AOL didn't allow you to have a name longer (On WOW {not world of warcraft} I got to use "The Astraltraveler") Mainly because back in that period of time I was interested in Astral Projection (bogus) and Lucid dreaming (not bogus). I still use the handle to this day as an IM handle just because it's known by most people. However my more modern and mostly used handle for everything else is Cremlian which was created by the need to come up with a name for a character in Darksun. It was one of those games that defined your early roleplaying experience (two players working both against each other and with each other and the DM running through the Darksun quests but I digress). Anyhow, I'm always crappy at coming up with names so I looked around at large cities and realized that Russia's Kremlin with some alterations in the spelling could be a pretty cool handle. Plus the fact that no one on the internet uses it allows provides for a perfect handle that I use today in almost everything (except Fark because it was tied to my school E-mail and I don't remember the password...)
  • Unlike Nine I have a legitimate and non-random reason for changing my name.
    WHAT?! You saying I don't have a legitimate reason? My new nickname comes from a totally awesome, endlessly looping, "you gotta listen this for hours on end to catch a glimpse of my crazy inanities" youtube videOAH-OH-OH-AH-AH-AH-AAAA-HA-AH-AH-AH!! You can imagine a shopping mall exploding yourself. That's legitimate dude! Totally legitimate. As for being random, I say no. After all, it is expected from me to change my name ever so often to some other silly thing.
    Or it could be because I got demoted so hard for fucking up all the time in my royal affairs ^_^
    Yeah, you royally fucked up. Ba-dum clang.
  • My name comes from a Murakami book. I'm steadily making it the only handle I will ever use for anything.
  • GeoGeo
    edited September 2009
    Or it could be because I got demoted so hard for fucking up all the time in my royal affairs ^_^
    Yeah, you royally fucked up. Ba-dum clang.
    Boooo!! Get off the stage!!!! There really wasn't a joke to it anyway, it was just you agreeing with me without any kind of punchline to it. So the punchline drum roll is hardly, no scratch that, is not warranted. You just put that there to make a funny, which in itself was not funny.
    Post edited by Geo on
  • Unlike Nine I have a legitimate and non-random reason for changing my name. I have changed my name to Yupa because it seems to be the moniker that I go by on the forums and the internet lately, thus the dropping of "Lord". Or it could be because I got demoted so hard for fucking up all the time in my royal affairs ^_^
    I thought it had something with Mrs MacRoss becoming Lady MacRoss and userping your position
  • Boooo!! Get off the stage!!!!
    Stage? Why would I be on the stage? I'm not going to make throwing rotten tomatoes at me easy!
  • I changed my name to Axel, because it's shorter than Axel-of-the-Key, and I was able to use it. I'm almost never the first person on the forum to use Axel, so I was very happy.
  • edited September 2009
    My user name stands for the initials of my name.
    Post edited by Erwin on
    I thought it had something with Mrs MacRoss becoming Lady MacRoss and userping your position
    I like this explanation. Let's just say it was that!
  • I changed my name to Axel
    Got it memorized?
  • I changed my name to Axel, because it's shorter than Axel-of-the-Key, and I was able to use it.
    The important part here is to explain "Axel-of-the-Key". What key? Why were you of it?
  • I changed my name to Axel, because it's shorter than Axel-of-the-Key, and I was able to use it.
    The important part here is to explain "Axel-of-the-Key". What key? Why were you of it?
    Hmm...Well, I liked Kingdom Hearts, so I decided I would append that to my usernames a while ago, instead of the usual boring stuff I was doing.
    I changed my name to Axel
    Got it memorized?
    As I explained at Otakon, I've used Axel since long before KH used it. I was quite angered when they used it, because it makes me unoriginal.
  • My girlfriend began calling me a "tsundere" after she found out what the word meant. I agree that it can be a little appropriate, but I think it's silly to call myself one... so that's where the thought-provoking "lol" prefix comes from.

I also came up with it largely on a whim and in a rush to come up with a new AIM name, liked it, and used it for everything.
    I like this explanation. Let's just say it was that!
    Lady Macross scares me. It's got a Lady Macbeth vibe. If she goads Mr. Macross into killing Scrym, then the allusion will be complete.
  • @tsuntsun, how does your girlfriend pronounce 'tsundere'? Sun deer (like lol)? Sunder-ray (like Viga)? Correctly?
    Lady Macross scares me. It's got a Lady Macbeth vibe. If she goads Mr. Macross into killing Scrym, then the allusion will be complete.
    Dammit, now I've reason to be even more paranoid of her.
  • Marcus Noble is the name of my "Fursona". Which is a combination of two things, at the time I started getting into the furry fandom but I'm not into anymore. Marcus is the name of one of the "vampire kings" in the Underworld movie. And Noble is the last name of WWE cruiser weight wrestler Jamie Noble. I threw them together into something I thought sounded like a good normal sounding name. That and it seemed like a bunch of others in the furry fandom at the time, had Japanese sounding names simply because they liked anime but weren't Japanese at all, and neither were their fursona.
  • My girlfriend began calling me a "tsundere" after she found out what the word meant. I agree that it can be a little appropriate, but I think it's silly to call myself one... so that's where the thought-provoking "lol" prefix comes from.

I also came up with it largely on a whim and in a rush to come up with a new AIM name, liked it, and used it for everything.
    I always thought that it was a humorous twist on the term "loli tsundere" myself.
  • Lady Macross scares me. It's got a Lady Macbeth vibe. If she goads Mr. Macross into killing Scrym, then the allusion will be complete.
    Never count on a man to do a woman's job. ^_~

Am I that scary? Wow. Cool. ^_^
  • @tsuntsun, how does your girlfriend pronounce 'tsundere'? Sun deer (like lol)? Sunder-ray (like Viga)? Correctly?
    Why be paranoid at all?
  • I use my real name for my username whenever possible. It makes it easy to remember account names. Other reasons too. Thankfully I have a quite uncommon name so it is usually available.
  • @NineNine - Correctly, of course. Tsun-de-re. No deers here.
  • Well, My original AIM handle was Haxor0mega. Yeah. I was in fifth grade.

A few years ago, I thought to combine the relatively uncommon name Yosho with the sword (Katana), in the true vein of shitty japanese cultural fetishism (fandom). I was practicing Aikido-ken at the time, so it makes sense. It kind of stuck. A year or two ago I changed my AIM name to Y0shokatana (finally. I had reserved Yoshokatana, but forgot the password and AIM neither lets you take discarded usernames nor gain access to one that you don't have the email address linked to).

Chat with me sometime!

Oh, and last year at RIT I got nicknamed "Keats" (long story). So, a lot of acquaintences know me by that name in real life. It has somewhat evolved to the penname "Nathaniel Keats."