This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Things of your day

Comments

• "Shoot The Fish!!!"
  • Don't get me wrong, I also found it to be hilarious. It's just the fact that they were treatingGhost in the Shelllike they would a show for children.
    I think the serious looking men in suits, guns, and boobs made it pretty clear that it is not a show for children.
    I'm not so sure about that - I've seen plenty of people who don't say "Oh, boobs, dudes in suits, and guns, this is obviously not a cartoon made for childeren" they tend to think "WTF? Is this what the Japanese putting in these cartoons for kids these days?"
  • edited July 2009
    The soda machine plot thickens...
    The plot thickens some more...
    Don't get me wrong, I also found it to be hilarious. It's just the fact that they were treatingGhost in the Shelllike they would a show for children.
    I think the serious looking men in suits, guns, and boobs made it pretty clear that it is not a show for children.
    I'm not so sure about that - I've seen plenty of people who don't say "Oh, boobs, dudes in suits, and guns, this is obviously not a cartoon made for childeren" they tend to think "WTF? Is this what the Japanese putting in these cartoons for kids these days?"
    *ehem*
    Post edited by Victor Frost on
  • edited July 2009
    x
  • Came across this today. A webcomic called Breakfast of the Gods. I'm only halfway through the first book and I had to make it my thing of the day.
  • *ehem*
    Heh, I remember that one. But still, You don't look at something like, say, Afro Samurai and say "Hey, this is a cartoon like Pokemon, this would be fine for kids."
    Of course, you say "This ain't for no kids, better go get me some pokemon before I go sit some babbys." - but for some reason in many people, the fact that it's animated completely shorts the part of these people's brain that says "Hey, They might be just drawn there, but this Ninja Scroll box says R-18+, I'd better not show that to my Digimon-lovin' kids."
  • Fight Bait Anime Podcast spoof Geeknights!
    Www.fightbait.com (check their latest episode with gunbuster for the spoof)
  • edited July 2009
    "PETE, Don't You Fucking Touch That Witch!"

Alternatively...
  • It's Mahvel, baby!
  • It's National Cheesecake Day, the sweetest holiday ever.
  • There is an old hippie guy that lives a couple blocks from my house. I frequently see him riding his bike as around the town as he does not have a car. I've always wished I had a way to start a dialogue with him because something about him seems intriguing. Well, today, I saw him walking along the road as I drove into work. He stuck his thumb out for a ride, so I jumped at the chance and drove him down to the Hess station. He apparently left his bike there when someone gave him a ride home in the rain last night. I only had a few moments of conversation, but he really is a nice, funny old hippie. I look forward to seeing him around and further conversations.
  • edited July 2009
    Andy Richter and Conan O'Brien Dub Ghost in the Shell
    I find the clip hilarious, but it is kind of disheartening how they are not taking it seriously.
    Fun fact: they could have been on the live-action set of an Oscar contender, and I'm sure Conan would have treated it the same way. He's a comedian. If anything, the dubbed over part seemed straight out of Dave and Joel, and the entire act seemed to treat the industry with dignity.
    Post edited by Schnevets on
  • edited July 2009
    It was a while before I realised it was 8800 pennies, not 8800 penises.
    Post edited by lackofcheese on
  • It was a while before I realised it was 8800 pennies, not 8800 penises.
    My girlfriend came into the room while I was watching, and she thought the same thing.
  • This is the greatest thing I have ever seen. I can now die a happy man.

• Just for the funnies I'm watching the new Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles cartoon that started in 2003. It's not bad but nothing outstanding. Anyways, one of the episodes in the first season is called "Lone Raph and Cub". Now someone needs to Photoshop that.
  • This kid is blind, but he plays Zelda using incredibly detailed instructions. He is attempting a run through of OoT, but this video proves he's blind and shows him beating a boss from TP.
  • edited August 2009
    In response to the penny video from the U.S. Treasury FAQ site:
    The pertinent portion of law that applies to your question is the Coinage Act of 1965, specifically Section 31 U.S.C. 5103, entitled "Legal tender," which states: "United States coins and currency (including Federal reserve notes and circulating notes of Federal reserve banks and national banks) are legal tender for all debts, public charges, taxes, and dues."

This statute means that all United States money as identified above are a valid and legal offer of payment for debts when tendered to a creditor. There is, however, no Federal statute mandating that a private business, a person or an organization must accept currency or coins as for payment for goods and/or services. Private businesses are free to develop their own policies on whether or not to accept cash unless there is a State law which says otherwise. For example, a bus line may prohibit payment of fares in pennies or dollar bills. In addition, movie theaters, convenience stores and gas stations may refuse to accept large denomination currency (usually notes above $20) as a matter of policy.
    Now, I do not know what the State law says on that matter, since I do not what State they are in, but the people making the video and the police are ignorant of the U.S. Treasury's stance.

EDIT: It is unnerving to me that the police can enforce a non-existent law based only on the claims of a few people.
    Post edited by Kate Monster on
  • Now, I do not know what the State law says on that matter, since I do not what State they are in, but the people making the video and the police are ignorant of the U.S. Treasury's stance.
    Yeah, you'd think that people putting indignation videos up on youtube would be smarter ;-).
  • edited August 2009
    This statute means that all United States money as identified above are a valid and legal offer of payment for debts when tendered to a creditor. There is, however, no Federal statute mandating that a private business, a person or an organization must accept currency or coins as for payment for goods and/or services. Private businesses are free to develop their own policies on whether or not to accept cash unless there is a State law which says otherwise.
    Maybe a towing company counts as a creditor? You do owe a debt to a towing company. Seems to me that it's a lot more like a creditor than a bus line or a movie theater is. You don't really get to choose whether or not you want to deal with a towing company.
    Post edited by Funfetus on
  • edited August 2009
    That might apply to private businesses but does it say anything different for government bodies?
    Post edited by Omnutia on
  • My dad and I are working on rebuilding the engine to my 1974 GMC Custom 1500 truck. We've been talking about working on it for a long while, and we actually got out there and did some work today. I feel slightly more knowledgeable about the inner workings of a car.
    Oh yes, I am a redneck.
  • edited August 2009
    World Science Festival clip demonstrating just how universal music and notes really are:

Post edited by Eryn on
  • I found my missing DSi hidden inside the couch.