This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Things of your day

Comments

• Speaking of eels:

My favorite Mighty Boosh scene:
  • This article about something called the Monkeysphere is nearly two years old, but that doesn't make it any less interesting. It's a topic I think about from time to time, but I never had a word to attach to it until I read this article.
  • edited August 2009
    This articleabout something called the Monkeysphere is nearly two years old, but that doesn't make it any less interesting. It's a topic I think about from time to time, but I never had a word to attach to it until I read this article.
    Malcolm Gladwell talked a lot about that in The Tipping Point. Of course, he didn't call it the "monkeysphere". But he provided examples of both primitive cultures and highly successful corporations that limit their groups to around 150. Really interesting book.

edit: That was a really good article. I'm very disappointed that Monkey Momentum doesn't seem to be a real book.
    Post edited by Funfetus on
  • GeoGeo
    edited August 2009
    Jeez, and I thought OS and application tans were enough, but social networking...what will they think up next: pirating software?
    Post edited by Geo on
  • Due to an unrelated event in this forum I started to watch "The Big Bang Theory". Let's see how it goes since I'm not ready to judge it yet. Regardless how it turns out, I already love the theme song sung by the Barenaked Ladies:

The Big Bang Theory theme song performed by Barenaked Ladies

"Our whole universe was in a hot dense state,
    Then nearly fourteen billion years ago expansion started. Wait...
    The Earth began to cool,
    The autotrophs began to drool,
    Neanderthals developed tools,
    We built a wall (we built the pyramids),
    Math, science, history, unravelling the mystery,
    That all started with the big bang! BANG!

Since the dawn of man is really not that long,
    As every galaxy was formed in less time
    than it takes to sing this song.
    A fraction of a second and the elements were made.
    The bipeds stood up straight,
    The dinosaurs all met their fate,
    They tried to leap but they were late
    And they all died (they froze their asses off)

The oceans and Pangaea
    See ya, wouldn't wanna be ya!
    Set in motion by the same big bang!

It all started with a big BANG!

It's expanding ever outward but one day
    It will pause, then start to go the other way,
    Collapsing ever inward,
    we won't be here, it wont be heard
    Our best and brightest figure that
    it'll make an even bigger bang!

Australopithecus would really have been sick of us
    Debating how we're here,
    they're catching deer (we're catching viruses)
    Religion or astronomy, Encarta, Deuteronomy
    It all started with a big bang!

Music and mythology, Einstein and astrology
    It all started with a big bang!
    It all started with a big BANG!"
  • Today I was chatting with my father and found out he knows Sir Richard Dannatt, commander of the British army. When my father was an officer in Northern Ireland, Dannatt served under him as a more junior officer. On his first night out on patrol, Dannatt's armoured vehicle blew up. Fun times!
  • edited August 2009
    I now have three colour printers in my room. One my own, a scanner printer and a basic inkjet. One of the last two has a problem I need to look into.
    Post edited by Omnutia on
  • edited August 2009
    Russian dogs commute.
    Post edited by Funfetus on
  • edited August 2009
    Russian dogscommute.
    The dog on the escalator was just too cute. How can Russians resist the urge to take these pups home?
    Post edited by Kate Monster on
  • This is a video of the one and only Nathan Lane talking about his experiences making The Lion King on AFI's Youtube Channel. There are many other fascinating interviews like this on their channel and you should watch a lot of them. If you have a channel on Youtube this is something that must be instantly subscribed to.
  • Some people having been making animated comic versions of VG Cats comics with voice acting. Normally this sort of stuff is really lame, but these guys are actually surprisingly good.
  • edited August 2009
    I always knew that Deviantart, if it were anthropomorphized into a member of the fair sex, would be my kind of lady.

This is just the sort of thing that I think about.

On an unrelated note, Run DMC was on Reading Rainbow:
    Post edited by Walker on
  • edited August 2009
    On an unrelated note, Run DMC was on Reading Rainbow:
    I was kind of hoping that they were going to sing (or does one use rap in this case?) "Read a Book."

But anyway, I found a pack of EPCOT Center icons circa 1983. Now if only I could find some icons that need to be replaced that aren't already covered by the Somatic icons...
    Felicia Day is awesome
    Do you want to groom her?
    Post edited by Li_Akahi on
  • edited August 2009
    or does one use rap in this case?
    Yes, rappers are not singers. rapping is not singing.
    Post edited by Walker on
  • Yes, rappers are not singers.
    Most of the time. There are exceptions, but they are few and far between.
  • Songs in Code -

var i = {shot:{sheriff:true,deputy:false}}

if(man.silhouetto.size=='small'){scaramouche.do(fandango);if(thunderbolt&&lightning){me.frightened=true}}

if(we!=strangersToLove){u.knowRules=1;i.knowRules=1;me.think{committment:'full'};otherGuy:{type:'any',delivery:'false'};}To anyone who can read this, You just got Rickrolled.
  • A while ago, the source code for a specific website was revealed:
    That alone isn't my TOTD, however, as check out why the website looks like so.
  • [moot trolls Time image]
    Original is better. His smile... his smile!
  • [moot trolls Time image]
    Original is better. His smile... his smile!
    Yes we know Nine, it makes you and buncha other channers squeal with glee like fanboys/girls ^_~
  • Yes we know Nine, it makes you and buncha other channers squeal with glee like fanboys/girls ^_~
    What? That makes no sense. His smile is sinister as hell! His smile... oh god his smile... the stuff of nightmares.
  • edited August 2009
    Yes we know Nine, it makes you and buncha other channers squeal with glee like fanboys/girls ^_~
    Moot is in his early 20s(21 or 22, If I remember the article correctly) and has made it onto time's 100 Most influential people list. Not too shabby, for someone our age.

Also, as we've mentioned time and time and time again, 4chan is more than just /b/, and many parts of it are actually quite useful or entertaining for something other than a stream of undiluted shitcockery and memes. That you refuse to listen to or believe this is not our problem.
    Post edited by Churba on
  • The Cake is a Chemistry:

• Weirdest music video in recent memory:

I think there needs to be a WTF of your day thread.
  • The latest Nerf NOW!! is hilarious. Poor medic-tan, stupid sniper.
  • I think there needs to be a WTF of your day thread.
    Second.
  • Thirding a "WTF of your Day"-thread for shit like this...
    Estimated download times:
    100 Mbps - 9 hours
    10 Mbps - 4 days
    700 kbps - 2 months
    56 kbps - 2 years