This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Things of your day

Comments

• Psh, this thread isn't for actuallyreading. Just for dumping shit onto.
    This thread would be a lot easier to "read" if it weren't 98% YouTube videos. :)
  • Psh, this thread isn't for actuallyreading. Just for dumping shit onto.
    Agreed, however I don't agree with the somewhat blunt way you presented your comment. Really though, who would go back and look in the archives unless they had WAY too much time on their hands, not many.
    Going back two days really isn't that big of a time investment.
  • edited August 2009
    Psh, this thread isn't for actuallyreading. Just for dumping shit onto.
    Agreed, however I don't agree with the somewhat blunt way you presented your comment. Really though, who would go back and look in the archives unless they had WAY too much time on their hands, not many.
    Going back two days really isn't that big of a time investment.
    Sure, but is it worth it?

Perhaps in terms of total cost to humanity, it's worth it to go back a little bit. Generally, I'd guess that in those terms you should go back n posts, where n is the number of people you expect will look at the post. However, this is quite crude, and it ignores the collective benefit to humanity of someone seeing the second post but missing the first. This is much harder to estimate.
    Post edited by lackofcheese on
  • A few weeks old, but as far as I can tell nobody else has posted it:
  • edited August 2009
    Post edited by HungryJoe on
  • edited August 2009
    So, people, has HungryJoe benefited humanity with that post? I think he has (though through humour), or at least that the adverse impact isn't worth admonishing him for.
    Post edited by lackofcheese on
  • So, people, has HungryJoe benefitted humanity with that post?
    He gave humanity (me) a chuckle, and that's enough for me.
  • So, people, has HungryJoe benefited humanity with that post? I think he has (though through humour), or at least that the adverse impact isn't worth admonishing him for.
    I don't think anyone is going to admonish him for it. I laughed pretty hard.
  • He gave humanity (me) a chuckle, and that's enough for me.
    Seconded. Seeing as I'm a god of tomorrow this has done the huge manatee well. It'll life.
  • edited August 2009
    Posted By: lackofcheeseSo, people, has HungryJoe benefited humanity with that post? I think he has (though through humour), or at least that the adverse impact isn't worth admonishing him for. Smart alec, are you crackin' wise?
    Post edited by Kate Monster on
  • edited August 2009
    I think Mrs. Macross will like this. I think the baby is especially funny.
    Post edited by Omnutia on
  • edited August 2009
    Do you like online videos but hate going to multiple websites?

All in one online video site
    Post edited by Coldguy on
  • I think Mrs. Macross will like this.I think the baby is especially funny.
    Like it? I LOVE it! Rosie the Riveter images are a particular love of mine - fairly obviously. Hmm... maybe I will make devote a sketch book to Rosie the Riveter art from friends and artists at cons (a la Scott's pirate book... I think it was a pirate book).
    Like it? I LOVE it! Rosie the Riveter images are a particular love of mine - fairly obviously. Hmm... maybe I will make devote a sketch book to Rosie the Riveter art from friends and artists at cons (a la Scott's pirate book... I think it was a pirate book).
  • Today was my first day of Calc discussion. The TA was hopelessly butchering the names of tons of Asian students, some of whom requested to be called by an English name. He got to one guy, butchered said Asian name, and the kid said, with a light accent (and I quote), "You can just call me Dragon."

• In other news, I am now 9.151x10^8 seconds old. Thank you, Wolfram Alpha.
  • Well, though it's mostly useless, I used it another thread to calculate this.
  • I've been reading the Wikipedia article for Charles Babbage and I came across this gem:
    Babbage once contacted the poet Alfred Tennyson in response to his poem "The Vision of Sin". Babbage wrote, "In your otherwise beautiful poem, one verse reads,

Every moment dies a man,
    Every moment one is born.

... If this were true, the population of the world would be at a standstill. In truth, the rate of birth is slightly in excess of that of death. I would suggest [that the next version of your poem should read]:

Every moment dies a man,
    Every moment 1 1/16 is born.

Strictly speaking, the actual figure is so long I cannot get it into a line, but I believe the figure 1 1/16 will be sufficiently accurate for poetry."
    Charles Babbage is officially my new hero.
  • edited August 2009
    Post edited by Omnutia on
  • Have you been readingThe Adventures of Bababage and Lovelace?
    I haven't, but I am now. Thank you.
  • You arty types should jump on this.
  • @HungryJoe: Are you trying to re-live your childhood?
  • He actually modeled for that poster.
  • I was playing Super Smash Brothers Brawl with some friends of mine, and my friend Bryce (who was playing as Kirby) yelled out: "I want to suck you, I want the head!" (The head being Ganondorf's headdress).
  • I was playing Super Smash Brothers Brawl with some friends of mine, and my friend Bryce (who was playing as Kirby) yelled out: "I want to suck you, I want the head!" (The head being Ganondorf's headdress).
    Ahhhhhhh.....sexual jokes in video games is such a pastime in my group of friends. Can I borrow that joke Mr. Red Fire?
  • But of course, Mr. Yupa.

But anyway, my first day of my animation survey is today! Yay!
    It's just that awesome!
  • Seriously though, here's some sweaty men duking it out:

aaand part two for those of you who can stand to watch it: