This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Things of your day

Comments

• I am proud to announce that the newest logo of Doctor Who has finally been unveiled. You'll really only like this if you are a true Who fan such as myself (meaning you have extensively delved into the past). It hearkens back to the logos of the mid 60s to late 70s.
  • On the road with the band Stratovarius

at 0:22 there is some crazy Heavy Metal backstage action!
  • Glenn Beck Raped and Murderd a Girl in 1990
    Why oh why won't he publicly deny these allegations?
  • You'll really only like this if you are a true Who fan such as myself
    This guy likes it.
  • Old but has my name in it
  • I am proud to announce that the newest logo of Doctor Who has finally been unveiled. You'll really only like this if you are a true Who fan such as myself (meaning you have extensively delved into the past). It hearkens back to the logos of the mid 60s to late 70s.
    I refute your logical fallacy. You probably should not use the term "a true X" unless you are really prepared to back it up. Also, I think the logo looks like a stainless steel refrigerator, which is good in my kitchen, but not in my Dr. Who.
  • Also, I think the logo looks like a stainless steel refrigerator, which is good in my kitchen, but not in my Dr. Who.
    I dunno, I kinda like the boxy TARDIS look.
  • GeoGeo
    edited October 2009
    I am proud to announce that the newest logo of Doctor Who has finally been unveiled. You'll really only like this if you are a true Who fan such as myself (meaning you have extensively delved into the past). It hearkens back to the logos of the mid 60s to late 70s.
    Also, I think the logo looks like a stainless steel refrigerator, which is good in my kitchen, but not in my Dr. Who.
    I cannot tell you how many times I've heard very similar things out of people who jumped on the Whoniverse Boat very late. Are you familiar with any of the doctors before the Ninth and have you seen anything in that era of Doctor Who? I know Kate hates them with a passion because they are campy, which I sorta understand, but at the same time also find to be somewhat of a silly reason. I like them mostly because of a combination of my love of things generally older than I am, my ability to ignore campiness because I can roll with it, the fact that some of those "campy" episodes actually have some pretty good storylines, and my love of Doctor Who in general. -sigh- Where's James Lawson when you need him here as I'm sure he'd back me up.
    Post edited by Geo on
  • Also, I think the logo looks like a stainless steel refrigerator, which is good in my kitchen, but not in my Dr. Who.
    I don't know, it doesn't quite look enough like a TARDIS for my tastes. I think it's more interesting than the previous logo, though.
    I don't know, it doesn't quite lookenoughlike a TARDIS for my tastes. I think it's more interesting than the previous logo, though.
    I can agree to that.
  • Seriously though, I really hope the Eleventh Doctor changes things around and brings a much darker era because I miss a lot of that in Doctor Who and there needs to be a modern Doctor with a dark personality.
  • Yupa, I grew up with 4th doctor on PBS and I still see where Nuri's coming from. The whole "late to the Whoniverse" thing is bullshit. It's like the hipsters who think you're lame if you start liking a band after it becomes popular.
  • GeoGeo
    edited October 2009
    Yupa, I grew up with 4th doctor on PBS and I still see where Nuri's coming from. The whole "late to the Whoniverse" thing is bullshit. It's like the hipsters who think you're lame if you start liking a band after it becomes popular.
    I too grew up with the the Doctor (not necessarily the 4th) on PBS as well, every day after school I'd watch it there and then.
    Post edited by Geo on
  • Yeah, my main problem is that it looks like a fridge, and not enough like a Tardis. The boxiness is not the issue. It's the stainless steel, rounded edges thing.

Yupa, I have a really tough time with the really campy shows. I haven't been able to get past the 7th episode of the classic Battlestar Galactica on Hulu either, and I used to love that show. My roommate and I are pretty big Dr. Who fans, and honestly, I think each incarnation has its ups and downs. I prefer the newer show to the old shows (except many of the episodes with Donna, who annoyed me about as much as campiness), but the old shows have their charm as well. I haven't seen every episode, though.
  • I too grew up with the the Doctor (not necessarily the 4th) on PBS as well, every day after school I'd watch it there and then.
    Ah, someone who didn't grow up with the 4th...Maybe someday you'll know what I've seen. Maybe.
  • GeoGeo
    edited October 2009

Yupa, I have a really tough time with the really campy shows. I haven't been able to get past the 7th episode of the classic Battlestar Galactica on Hulu either, and I used to love that show. My roommate and I are pretty big Dr. Who fans, and honestly, I think each incarnation has its ups and downs. I prefer the newer show to the old shows (except many of the episodes with Donna, who annoyed me about as much as campiness), but the old shows have their charm as well. I haven't seen every episode, though.
    The internet gave me that ability years later and I have almost seen them all and he is quite possibly the best Doctor ever, 10th...he's great and all...but he can never compare to the 4th.

@Nuri: I think with Doctor Who, if you like one doctor you'll quite possibly like a good majority of them all. What is wrong with campiness anyway?
    Post edited by Geo on
  • The internet gave me that ability years later
    I guess we can't all enjoy things in the purity of the original medium.
  • The internet gave me that ability years later
    Well I wasn't even a fetus yet when that was airing, but I caught re-airings of the Hartnell, Pertwee, and Davison eras.
  • edited October 2009
    The internet gave me that ability years later
    Well I wasn't even a fetus yet when that was airing, but I caught re-airings of the Hartnell, Pertwee, and Davison eras.
    I suppose I was just lucky to get the Baker re-airings. I'm considering knitting a replica of the Fourth Doctor's signature scarf.
    Post edited by WindUpBird on
  • @Yupa; There's nothing wrong with it. It's just not usually to my taste. Also, you quoted me and labeled it WindUpBird. :)
    I'm considering knitting a replica of the Fourth Doctor's signature scarf.
    YES. There are several patterns on Ravelry, a few of them free. Since teh scarf differs slightly between seasons, there are a few different versions.
  • There are several patterns on Ravelry, a few of them free. Since teh scarf differs slightly between seasons, there are a few different versions.
    EXCELLENT! I knew about the different scarves, but I'm still considering which one to knit.
  • Well I wasn't even a fetus yet when that was airing,
    Yet, we're the ones who came late to the Whoniverse.
  • Yet, we're the ones who came late to the Whoniverse.
    We sure do suck, Churba.
  • Yet, we're the ones who came late to the Whoniverse.
    We sure do suck, Churba.
    Let's go out back and kick the shit out of ourselves.
  • edited October 2009
    Let's go out back and kick the shit out of ourselves.
    Will we all fit in that little thing? Looks pretty cosy for three.
    Post edited by Churba on
  • Let's go out back and kick the shit out of ourselves.
    We can do it. I'll bring steel-toed boots.
  • Let's go out back and kick the shit out of ourselves.
    We'll make it work. I'm pretty small. Besides, I'm all about cuddling.
  • edited October 2009
    You say that like I don't anyway.
    We'll make it work. I'm pretty small. Besides, I'm all about cuddling.
    As am I Particularly cuddly, but I was at least hoping someone would say "It's bigger on the inside."
    Post edited by Churba on
  • Alright, so we're all in for hugs and self-harm? Let's do this. We'll never come late to cult classic fandom again.
  • hugs and self-harm
    So, wait, a mosh pit?