This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Things of your day

Comments

edited October 2009
    Don't stop believing (8-Bit Style.), hollllddd on to that feeling!!
    That site needs a repeat button.
    Post edited by ... on
  • edited October 2009
    Don't stop believing (8-Bit Style.),hollllddd on to that feeling!!
    Current play count in Amarok: 58. You can just download the MP3 and loop it in your player of choice.
    Post edited by Omnutia on
  • edited October 2009
    One event I know Emily is not going to take part in :-p
    I HATE YOU NOW SCOJO!!!!1!

Man, I'm glad I didn't grow up in Australia. I can understand what is going on here though. It would be similar to NYC kids swinging dead rats that had been caught in traps. Really, if the rabbits are dead, it doesn't hurt them further, but I feel it not only is wasteful, but also shows a lack of respect for the animal. By abusing an animal after it is killed, you further separate yourself from the empathetic response that I think is so vital in the humane treatment of animals. You see this sort of thing in chicken slaughterhouses, where the workers kick the chickens around like footballs, and even between humans in wartime. By jeering the corpse, I do think it sends the wrong message to children if you want them to treat animals with respect. However, I feel that this sort of thing harkens back to rural pastimes, and to protest flinging shot rabbits at a pig hunt is nothing, if not hypocritical. These kids are probably kid who go out with a shotgun and hunt rabbits anyway. I just wish hunters would not treat their prey like things, but rather fellow beings. I also hope they ate and skinned the rabbits afterwards.

Also, that news reporter was a dick.
    Post edited by gomidog on
  • edited October 2009
    Nintendo is FINALLY releasing Zombie Ate My Neighbors on the Virtual Console. It's about fucking time. I've been wanting to replay this game for a very long time.
    Post edited by Rochelle on
  • Don't stop believing (8-Bit Style.),hollllddd on to that feeling!!
    Current play count in Amarok: 58. You can just download the MP3 and loop it in your player of choice.
    Please forgive me for asking, but - how do you do this? I've tried a couple of different ways to download it, but I have not been able to do it. Do you have yo be a registered user?
  • edited October 2009
    The "Download" button (links to here) works for me.
    Post edited by lackofcheese on
  • Don't stop believing (8-Bit Style.),hollllddd on to that feeling!!
    Please forgive me for asking, but - how do you do this? I've tried a couple of different ways to download it, but I have not been able to do it. Do you have yo be a registered user?
    I think firefox has several extensions for downloading embedded media.
  • edited October 2009
    The "Download" button (links tohere) works for me.
    That's weird. When I click on your link it works, but when I tried to do it from the link provided by Omnutia, it doesn't work.
    Post edited by HungryJoe on
  • edited October 2009
    One event I know Emily is not going to take part in :-p
    I HATE YOU NOW SCOJO!!!!1!

Man, I'm glad I didn't grow up in Australia.
    The video was from New Zealand, not Australia. I guess you might also be referring to the general issue of rabbits as a pest here as well, though.
    I can understand what is going on here though. It would be similar to NYC kids swinging dead rats that had been caught in traps. Really, if the rabbits are dead, it doesn't hurt them further, but I feel it not only is wasteful, but also shows a lack of respect for the animal. By abusing an animal after it is killed, you further separate yourself from the empathetic response that I think is so vital in the humane treatment of animals. You see this sort of thing in chicken slaughterhouses, where the workers kick the chickens around like footballs, and even between humans in wartime. By jeering the corpse, I do think it sends the wrong message to children if you want them to treat animals with respect. However, I feel that this sort of thing harkens back to rural pastimes, and to protest flinging shot rabbits at a pig hunt is nothing, if not hypocritical. These kids are probably kid who go out with a shotgun and hunt rabbits anyway. I just wish hunters would not treat their prey like things, but rather fellow beings. I also hope they ate and skinned the rabbits afterwards.
    Wouldn't it be more wasteful not to derive entertainment from the corpse? As for abuse and disrespect, well, how exactly does one define abuse and disrespect of a corpse? Human funeral practices are a matter of ritual and practicality - are our practices of burial and cremation statements in favor of burying live people or setting fire to them? This, on the other hand, is indeed a waste.
    Also, that news reporter was a dick.
    Explained by the video being from New Zealand.
  • Wouldn't it be more wasteful not to derive entertainment from the corpse? As for abuse and disrespect, well, how exactly does one define abuse and disrespect of a corpse? Human funeral practices are a matter of ritual and practicality - are our practices of burial and cremation statements in favor of burying live people or setting fire to them?This, on the other hand, is indeed a waste.
    From a psychological perspective, let's talk about the way people desecrate corpses of enemy soldiers during wartime. There have been many instances over the centuries of people parading the body of an enemy king through the streets, heads on pikes, or other examples of corpses of criminals used for entertainment. In these circumstances, deriving entertainment from a dead body being made to seem ridiculous is a way of distinctly dehumanizing the enemy. I feel that this principle applies to a lesser extent in the treatment of animal corpses as well. In treating rabbit carcasses as toys, I believe there is a certain implicit disrespect for the death of the animal. In essence, although what these children are doing could be likened to a fox kit playing with a rabbit it's mother has brought it, if the rabbit is not killed to serve some more practical purpose, it seems a bit sick. Granted, as I understand it, the culling of rabbits is a necessary evil in NZ and Australia to protect the environment, thus my analogy to dead rats in NYC.
    I agree with you on the Sweden thing, though. If animals must be culled, it's better to derive a practical use for them rather than simply casting their bodies in a landfill. We feed overpopulated deer to the homeless, etc.
  • Man, I'm glad I didn't grow up in Australia.
    I grew up in Australia, and I hadn't ever even seen a rabbit (except in photos, obviously) until I came to England.
  • The ultimate vinyl superiority myth debunking article.
    Man, and here I thought my vinyl was awesome. Glad I never spent any huge sum of money on that collection.
  • The ultimate vinyl superiority myth debunking article.
    Man, and here I thought my vinyl was awesome. Glad I never spent any huge sum of money on that collection.
    Hey, there's nothing wrong with liking vinyl. I've bought a fair amount of vinyl, but I've bought it with the same frequency as I have with tapes and CDs. The point is that the vinyl snobs are wrong about its inherent superiority. As the article talks about, whether vinyl or CD, quality depends on how the record is mixed and mastered with consideration toward the medium it's going on and not the medium itself.
  • edited October 2009
    I didn't think it would be funny for ten minutes. I was wrong.

Post edited by Walker on
  • I didn't think it would be funny for ten minutes. I was wrong.
    That should not have been as good as it was.
  • edited October 2009
    I didn't think it would be funny for ten minutes. I was wrong.
    I was thinking the whole time, "what happens if you take the spoon?" 09:11 answered that question, and then some.
  • I didn't think it would be funny for ten minutes. I was wrong.
    I was thinking the whole time, "what happens if you take the spoon?" 09:11 answered that question, and then some.
    Indeed. That was pretty good.
  • Tiberius Cologne
    Yes, it's real. In fact, there are several other scents on GenkiWear's website.
    I wonder if it smells like velor and musk?
  • Scientology sued for $900,000 in France for fraud.
    Bonus weird: It was reported on Al-Jazeera.
    France doesn't recognize Scientology as a religion. It is interesting that there are "Free Zoners" that believe in the doctrine of L. Ron Hubbard, but that dislike the organization of Scientology churches. They are preaching the "gospel" for free.
  • SNAKES ON A FERRY!!!! A man tried to smuggle 14 pythons and 10 geckos into Norway on a ferry by taping them to his body.
  • SNAKES ON A FERRY!!!!A man tried to smuggle 14 pythons and 10 geckos into Norway on a ferry by taping them to his body.
    WTF?!
  • SNAKES ON A FERRY!!!!A man tried to smuggle 14 pythons and 10 geckos into Norway on a ferry by taping them to his body.
    Get these motherfucking snakes off my motherfucking...thigh?
    WTF?!
    Yeah, WTF? Everyone knows you have to hide them in cavity areas like armpits. What was he thinking, taping them to his chest?
    Snakes were on his chest, lizards on his legs.
    Why did he do it is the question that it begs!
    I got them blues,
    Them I-taped-reptiles-to-my-body-and-got-busted-on-a-ferry bluuuuuues.
  • *Warbles along on harmonica.*