This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Things of your day

Comments

• Well the thing is, film is really all I know and it's my primary geekery.
    The problem is that you get obnoxious about it. It's one thing to have a passion and talk about that "all the time," as I do with metal or Emily does with bunnies, but it's a different thing to be "in your face" about it. You definitely cross into "in your face" territory a bit too often.

Basically, you're at 11. Take it down to, say, 8 or 9.

Otherwise, you're fine. Don't worry about. In fact, you should probably stop worrying about whether or not other people approve of you. Well, OK, not completely, but you don't need to seek the approval of others as much as you do. Just chill, dude.
  • Are there any other film buffs/enthusiasts/geeks/nuts out there on the forums? I sorta feel like I'm alone in that sense.
    Me.
  • Are there any other film buffs/enthusiasts/geeks/nuts out there on the forums? I sorta feel like I'm alone in that sense.
    Me.
    Me. I sort of keep it on the down-low, though. Plus, a lot of my time is consumed by other work, so I haven't had time to watch that many movies lately (along with the fact that Netflix mailers will not fit into our mailroom's mailboxes).
    Me.
    Me. I sort of keep it on the down-low, though. Plus, a lot of my time is consumed by other work, so I haven't had time to watch that many movies lately (along with the fact that Netflix mailers will not fit into our mailroom's mailboxes).
    Not really, but I want to be. Hearing you talk about movies is interesting. Plus, there's a lot I don't get and a lifetime to learn so why not?!
  • Can I ask everyone in the forums a question, and please be honest if you care enough to reply. Do you guys find it annoying that I talk about film all the time?
    I don't find it annoying at all. I have the urge to talk about music constantly, but I just try to restrain it. The only time it's ever annoying for me is when it's done in an obnoxious way, like Pete said.
  • Not really, but I want to be. Hearing you talk about movies is interesting. Plus, there's a lot I don't get and a lifetime to learn so why not?!
    This is kinda my position too. In the household I grew up in, movies were not an important form of media, so I never really got to watch movies until I had the ability to get them myself. I'm doing what I can now, with my 350+ movies in my Netflix queue, but it will take a while.
  • This is kinda my position too. In the household I grew up in, movies were not an important form of media, so I never really got to watch movies until I had the ability to get them myself. I'm doing what I can now, with my 350+ movies in my Netflix queue, but it will take a while.
    Secret to success: 3 at a time, Handbrake queue, mail back the day you receive. Save as AVIs for a HTPC, or as MPEG4s for a PMP to maximize your movie-watchins'.
  • Define melodramatic in this context if you please?
    In other words, saying things like Metropolis is one of the worst movies ever because it's missing a few scenes. I know you've already dealt with that though, so don't mind me.
  • This is kinda my position too. In the household I grew up in, movies were not an important form of media, so I never really got to watch movies until I had the ability to get them myself. I'm doing what I can now, with my 350+ movies in my Netflix queue, but it will take a while.
    Secret to success: 3 at a time, Handbrake queue, mail back the day you receive. Save as AVIs for a HTPC, or as MPEG4s for a PMP to maximize your movie-watchins'.
    That would certainly help, but the truth of the matter is that I generally only watch one movie a week. The rest of the time I spend at home is either playing games, working on stuff, or doing chores.
  • That would certainly help, but the truth of the matter is that I generally only watch one movie a week. The rest of the time I spend at home is either playing games, working on stuff, or doing chores.
    Yeah -- I'd like to watch more movies myself, but I just don't have the time.
  • That would certainly help, but the truth of the matter is that I generally only watch one movie a week. The rest of the time I spend at home is either playing games, working on stuff, or doing chores.
    Yeah, I mean, the Netflix+Handbrake queue solution is only really feasible if you want to quickly build an awesome movie library and your kung-fu is strong enough to write the scripts and build the machine to do it for you. It doesn't really help with time constraints.
  • Just received an email notification from HR that I'm getting my yearly Performance Award of an Outstanding rating on the paycheck on Christmas Eve. This couldn't have come at a better time. I've been paying most of the bills since my boyfriend's been unemployed for a while, so now I get to actually get decent Christmas presents for family, put money back into savings, and not have to work overtime.

I feel relieved.
    EDIT: Are there any other film buffs/enthusiasts/geeks/nuts out there on the forums? I sorta feel like I'm alone in that sense.
    Define what you mean by this. I used to be nuts over movies. I worked in a movie theater for a year when I was 17, then for a local video rental store for 2-3 years after that. My live revolved around movies. I would go to film festivals with my friends, and I would go to watch the newest movies all the time.

However, I'm not as much of a film fanatic as I once was. I do love talking about movies that I enjoy, but I'm not as knowledgeable in all the aspects of film-making. If you're talking about making movies, there are probably a small number of people who are enthusiastic about it. If you're talking about certain aspects of movies like cinematography, soundtrack, dialogue, or how a movie made a person feel, I'm sure there are plenty along with myself that enjoy talking about that.

I honestly love watching the special features of movies to see how certain parts of the film were made or how they were made to be. I really enjoyed the special features of UP. It was so awesome seeing how the creators went to South America to experience it first hand so they can share their experience through the creation fo the film.

As others have stated, just don't be so obnoxious about it. While it maybe your passion, respect that others don't see things the way you do, and downright say they are all wrong if they don't agree with you.
  • I don't mean to be mean obnoxious when I write what I do, and if I have come off as such or have been downright obnoxious, then I humbly apologize for my behavior. To those of you who have never met me in real life, I hope said behavior hasn't colored your view of what I'm really like in the real world though...
  • GeoGeo
    edited December 2009
    BTTF Crysis Mod (Almost Finished) = Awesome
    Post edited by Geo on
  • edited December 2009
    BTTF Crysis Mod (Almost Finished) = Awesome
    Video of BTTF Mod
    I'm waiting for the remake of Half-Life
    Post edited by usrName on
  • WHEN WILL BLACK MESA BE RELEASED?

We have always gone for a "when it's done" approach. We have however committed to releasing in the year 2009.
    It seems they are running out of time.
  • edited December 2009
    3 weeks left in 2009 so yeah they are running out of time.

Edit: A Post on Black Mesa forums says it won't come out this year.
    Post edited by usrName on
  • 3 weeks left in 2009 so yeah they are running out of time.

Edit: APost on Black Mesa forumssays it won't come out this year.
    That's it. Nothing good can ever happen ever again.
  • edited December 2009

This is an entry for the BBC's digital revolution film competition - and it's hilarious.
    Post edited by Churba on
  • That's it. Nothing good can ever happen ever again.
    False. Bayonetta is being released in the US in January.
  • I own neither a PS3 or an XBOX 360, and that won't likely change in the future.
  • That is a shame. Bayonetta in more or less a singularity of awesome. It is composed of win so dense that all other events cease to occur relative to its event horizon.
  • I own neither a PS3 or an XBOX 360, and that won't likely change in the future.
    Money issues or do you simply not want them?
  • A little bit of both. There are other things I would think be better investments than a console, it is really just a matter of how much disposable income I have, which is currently zero.
  • I beat Zelda first quest perfectly (all hearts/items no deaths) in 1:30 by memorization....wow
  • EDIT: Are there any other film buffs/enthusiasts/geeks/nuts out there on the forums? I sorta feel like I'm alone in that sense.
    Um, yeah. Me? Like I said before, I know a lot of people who are really knowledgeable about film, but they don't bring it up at every opportunity. If it comes up, they will wax poetic about the way such and such scene in The Godfather was shot, or talk about the societal critiques contained within François Truffaut's The 400 Blows , but they are laid back about their knowledge. Think of anime fans. Some anime fans wear shirts plastered with garish anime art and have this sense of fanboy one-upmanship; they are always trying to best each other in who has watched the greatest number of shows or who can name the most voice actors. Then you have anime fans who are completely normal, maybe they have little cellphone charms of Konata or a tachikoma, but meeting them for the first time you wouldn't think "Wow, that's a weeaboo." You have to get them talking and then HEY, you find out that they love Cowboy Bebop, or Ghost in the Shell, or are totally addicted to Yotsuba. This was something that I had to grow out of. When I was a teenager I was like "I LOVE ANIME! I LOVE MOVIES! I SPEAK JAPANESE!" and then I realized that that was annoying and I should only bring it up if it is appropriate. Any geekery is the same way. Of course you should talk about film here. You like it. I like it. However, try not to be a film school version of a weeaboo. You already heard my rant - There are more than enough pretentious know-it-all film school freshman in the world, the kind who go on and on at parties trying to name the most obscure art films, or name dropping cinematographers for no other reason than that they can. Please oh please, don't be one of them.
  • When I was a teenager I was like "I LOVE ANIME! I LOVE MOVIES! I SPEAK JAPANESE!" and then I realized that that was annoying and I should only bring it up if it is appropriate.
    Oh man, I was even worse when I'd just become a flight attendant - I was sort of like that, except quieter about it, but what I lost in volume, I made up in arrogance. I'm arrogant now, but more justifiably so, because I've got the experience now, and I'm very, very good at it, but at the beginning, I was insufferable.
    You already heard my rant - There are more than enough pretentious know-it-all film school freshman in the world, the kind who go on and on at parties trying to name the most obscure art films, or name dropping cinematographers for no other reason than that they can. Please oh please, don't be one of them.
    If I may put it my own way - Don't Be Brad Nguyen.
  • However, try not to be a film school version of a weeaboo.
    A wilmmaker?