This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Things of your day

Comments

• Wait, this math isn't adding up. I was 15 in 2006. I'm 18 now. Yupa is 20 now. So Pokemon came out when he was 7.

/making people feel even older
    I went with his stated age in the story, not working from outside knowledge.
  • [Absolute destruction of the Phantom Menace]
    Holy shit, who needs film school when you've got this?

The part where he asked people to describe the characters was amazing.
  • Holy shit, who needs film school when you've got this?

The part where he asked people to describe the characters was amazing.
    The rest is good too. Just wait until you get to the comparison between the opening scenes of The Phantom Menace and A New Hope. Or the light saber fight part.
  • edited December 2009
    The rest is good too. Just wait until you get to the comparison between the opening scenes of The Phantom Menace and A New Hope. Or the light saber fight part.
    Yeah, I saw the opening comparison already. I'm watching the rest right now. You gotta love a "review" that's almost as long as the movie, and 100 times as good. We call that a "Fast Karate".
    Post edited by Funfetus on
  • This guy is a great reviewer as he is doing exactly what he needs to do. This movie deserves no praise nor justice, so he is doing geeks a service. -Vulcan hand sign- Be a good one son!
  • Is it bad that I actually like the prequels in a completely serious fashion?
    It's actually pretty awesome. If I could genuinely enjoy absolute garbage, I would never be bored. :)
  • GeoGeo
    edited December 2009
    Is it bad that I actually like the prequels in a completely serious fashion?
    If you do like storylines that eschew away from proper storytelling methods , then try the films of David Lynch Jim Jarmusch, and David Cronenberg as mentioned in the video and you'll feel right at home. The only difference is that they know what they're doing (if that makes any sense) and the prequels were indeed written by 8 year olds with a tenuous grasp on politics and trade.
    Post edited by Geo on
  • I went with his stated age in the story, not working from outside knowledge.
    Yes, but that stated age was directly contradicted by the certificate, which said he was 10 in 1999.
  • edited December 2009
    After watching that Phantom Menace review, I couldn't help but read every post in this forum as if it were being read by that guy. It fits amazingly well.

Anyway, I was playing Carcassonne with my little brother when I suddenly realized what one of my cities had taken the shape of.

Whoops.
    Post edited by Walker on
  • more car-shaped and less hatchback-shaped
    Make up your fucking mind, what is it? Does it look like a car or not?
  • I was laughing so hard at this I couldn't breathe. Not safe for work(audio only, though.)

• I was laughing so hard at this I couldn't breathe. Not safe for work(audio only, though.)

I'm ashamed to say I lol'ed at this.
  • I was OK with th phantom menace, but the other 2 prequels were just junk.
  • Why this thread, gedavids?
  • I'm ashamed to say I lol'ed at this.
    It wouldn't be funny if it was anyone but Stephen Fry.
  • edited December 2009
    I went with his stated age in the story, not working from outside knowledge.
    Yes, but that stated age was directly contradicted by the certificate, which said he was 10 in 1999.
    Dude, he said he was 15 at the 10th anniversary of Pokemon. I'm not such a hardcore Pokemon fan that I know what year it came out off the top of my head, and I haven't memorized what year Matt was born. Shouldn't I be able to count on someone to know their own age? I should double-check people's math about themselves at every turn? I'm sorry I didn't break out the calculator and reconcile all the math in every part of his post and profile. Oh wait, no I'm not. Jesus Christ.

@Nine: Hatchbacks are not car-shaped. They are freakish-looking automobiles. Yes, I am aware that this is not technical in any way and is solely my opinion. Sorry Pete, your Fit looks like a ladybug. It is freakish. It is still nice to ride in.
    Post edited by Nuri on
  • Dude, he said he was 15 at the 10th anniversary of Pokemon. I'm not such a hardcore Pokemon fan that I know what year it came out off the top of my head, and I haven't memorized what year Matt was born. Shouldn't I be able to count on someone to know their own age? I should double-check people's math about themselves at every turn? I'm sorry I didn't break out the calculator and reconcile all the math in every part of his post and profile. Oh wait, no I'm not. Jesus Christ.
    The point is that no outside knowledge was required to notice a contradiction. That is all.
  • Why this thread, gedavids?
    Because there was discussion of the phantom menace review. Also, bite me.
  • edited December 2009
    Why this thread, gedavids?
    Because there was discussion of the phantom menace review. Also, bite me.
    I've always wondered at the phrase, "Bite me". Why is that used to show dismissal/contempt? Wouldn't it be worse for the person making the statement if their target actually bit them? If the target did actually bite the statement maker, who would be the "loser"? It would seem to me that the biter would have the upper hand on the bitee.

Plus, I don't like the idea of anyone or anything biting me. So I always think the phrase "Bite me" is odd when I hear it. Where did that phrase originate? The first time I heard it was in 1981.
    Post edited by HungryJoe on
  • @Nine: Hatchbacks are not car-shaped. They are freakish-looking automobiles. Yes, I am aware that this is not technical in any way and is solely my opinion. Sorry Pete, your Fit looks like a ladybug. It is freakish. It is still nice to ride in.
    They are car shaped! They are! I like hatchbacks, they are useful. You want to see funny stubby cars, go to Japan. They have cubes that drive around.
  • They are car shaped! They are! I like hatchbacks, they are useful. You want to see funny stubby cars, go to Japan. They have cubes that drive around.
    The Cube is awesome! It's like a tardis!
  • I've always wondered at the phrase, "Bite me". Why is that used to show dismissal/contempt? Wouldn't it be worse for the person making the statement if their target actually bit them? If the target did actually bite the statement maker, who would be the "loser"? It would seem to me that the biter would have the upper hand on the bitee.
    Sometimes, both win.
  • Sorry Pete, your Fit looks like a ladybug.
    Well, that's OK, because LADYBUGS ARE AWESOME!
  • @Emi: I didn't say they were bad or not useful. Just freakishly shaped. :P It's really about what shape my brain associates with the word "car." It doesn't mean I *actually* think hatchbacks are not cars. An apple can be pear-shaped, but it is still an apple. So a car can be hatchback-shaped, or cube-shaped, but it is still a car.
    Sorry Pete, your Fit looks like a ladybug.
    Well, that's OK, because LADYBUGS ARE AWESOME!
    I suppose they are one of the least harmful invasive exotics. So they're not terrible. They eat pesky buggies. But they bleed on things and smell bad...bleah. Your car better not bleed on me.
    As a stupid popcorn movie, the first prequel wasn't bad. And in the second prequel there are some pretty nifty action sequences. The third prequel has no redeeming features at all.

While we're on the subject of stupid sci-fi movies, I might as well (re)post this (from my blog):

It's always fun to see places you know well presented in a film. The best experience I've had with that was watching the film In Bruges in a cinema in Bruges, literally right in the place it was shot.

But there's some places I never expect to see on the big screen. Like Montevideo. There's really nothing to recommend about the city to movie location scouts. I mean, James Cameron might make a movie about the wreck of the Graf Spee, or maybe there'll be a movie about its sinking.

But then, I just watched this: Panic Attack 2009. Huge robots attacking Montevideo? Hey, why not?

I posted this photo earlier, but this is the location of the final moments of the above 5 min short:

Robots attack here.
  • I got the most ironic gift at my company holiday party. A gift certificate to jiffy lube. I always change my own oil. On the upside, my gift of Johny Walker Red Label was popular.