This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Things of your day

Comments

• "Ironic gift" isn't really the right term, is it?
    What would you suggest?
    What would you suggest?
    Useless, perhaps?
  • I got the most ironic gift at my company holiday party. A gift certificate to jiffy lube.
    Here's a little story about ironic gifts.
  • I saw that one coming.
  • edited December 2009
    I am posting the following owing to the fact that this word is often misused, misunderstood, incorrectly defined and so forth:
    irony?
    i?ro?ny1?/?a?r?ni, ?a??r-/ [ahy-ruh-nee, ahy-er-]
    –noun, plural -nies.
    1. the use of words to convey a meaning that is the opposite of its literal meaning: the irony of her reply, “How nice!” when I said I had to work all weekend.
    2. Literature. a. a technique of indicating, as through character or plot development, an intention or attitude opposite to that which is actually or ostensibly stated.
    b. (esp. in contemporary writing) a manner of organizing a work so as to give full expression to contradictory or complementary impulses, attitudes, etc., esp. as a means of indicating detachment from a subject, theme, or emotion.
    3. Socratic irony - pretended ignorance in discussion.
    4. dramatic irony - irony that is inherent in speeches or a situation of a drama and is understood by the audience but not grasped by the characters in the play.
    5. an outcome of events contrary to what was, or might have been, expected.
    6. the incongruity of this.
    7. an objectively sardonic style of speech or writing.
    8. an objectively or humorously sardonic utterance, disposition, quality, etc.
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Origin:
    1495–1505; < L ?r?n?a < Gk eir?neía dissimulation, sarcasm, understatement, equiv. to eír?n a dissembler + -eia -y 3
    Synonyms:
    1, 2. Irony, sarcasm, satire indicate mockery of something or someone. The essential feature of irony is the indirect presentation of a contradiction between an action or expression and the context in which it occurs. In the figure of speech, emphasis is placed on the opposition between the literal and intended meaning of a statement; one thing is said and its opposite implied, as in the comment, “Beautiful weather, isn't it?” made when it is raining or nasty. Ironic literature exploits, in addition to the rhetorical figure, such devices as character development, situation, and plot to stress the paradoxical nature of reality or the contrast between an ideal and actual condition, set of circumstances, etc., frequently in such a way as to stress the absurdity present in the contradiction between substance and form. Irony differs from sarcasm in greater subtlety and wit. In sarcasm ridicule or mockery is used harshly, often crudely and contemptuously, for destructive purposes. It may be used in an indirect manner, and have the form of irony, as in “What a fine musician you turned out to be!” or it may be used in the form of a direct statement, “You couldn't play one piece correctly if you had two assistants.” The distinctive quality of sarcasm is present in the spoken word and manifested chiefly by vocal inflection, whereas satire and irony, arising originally as literary and rhetorical forms, are exhibited in the organization or structuring of either language or literary material. Satire usually implies the use of irony or sarcasm for censorious or critical purposes and is often directed at public figures or institutions, conventional behavior, political situations, etc.
    Post edited by Kate Monster on
  • Thanks, Kate.
    One could argue that number 5) fits gedavids' case, but I don't think it's a very good fit.
  • edited December 2009
    So, for instance: The gift of a great debt would be an ironic gift.
    Post edited by Omnutia on
  • So the gift of pre-paid car maintenance to someone who does all their own maintenance and generally despises other people working on their car is not ironic? Hmmmmm.
  • If you consider that aspect of yourself to be of such importance, then perhaps it applies, yes.
  • edited December 2009
    Well.. such a gift is easily re-gifted. A debt would be ironic in it's very nature whereas the car maintenance is just unsuitable.
    That's just my view.
  • If you consider that aspect of yourself to be of such importance, then perhaps it applies, yes.
    It is kinda a character flaw of mine, I hate letting other people work on my car. Especially oil changes, cause they always over torque the drain plug or oil filter.
  • edited December 2009
    It is kinda a character flaw of mine, I hate letting other people work on my car. Especially oil changes, cause they always over torque the drain plug or oil filter.
    No-one fixes my computer but me.
  • edited December 2009
    @ Gedavids: Your incident seems more like coincidence than irony, but a shaky case could be made for irony in this use.
  • @ Gedavids: Your incident seems more like coincidence than irony, but a shaky case could be made for irony in this use.
    Perhaps an ironic coincidence?
  • @ Gedavids: Your incident seems more like coincidence than irony, but a shaky case could be made for irony in this use.
    Perhaps an ironic coincidence?
    They are two distinct concepts, I am not sure your suggestion works.
  • @ gedavids - "It's like rain on your wedding day."
  • edited December 2009
    @ gedavids - "It's like rain on your wedding day."
    Which is actually not ironic, merely unfortunate. Ironic would be beginning to propose to your partner and have them cut you off half way through to say they want to break up with you.
  • edited December 2009
    @ gedavids - "It's like rain on your wedding day."
    Which is actually not ironic, merely unfortunate. Ironic would be beginning to propose to your partner and have them cut you off half way through to say they want to break up with you.
    Depending on who was asking, that might simply be expected. :P
  • Depending on who was asking, that might simply be expected. :P
    As they are not mutually exclusive.
  • From my good friends twitter:
    Roommate concussed. Doesn't remember past week of life. Refuses to believe us that he graduated.
  • edited December 2009

This would be perfect for a college student.

Post edited by Alan on
  • From my good friends twitter:
    Roommate concussed. Doesn't remember past week of life. Refuses to believe us that he graduated.
    Concussions are crazy. I had a concussion once and I didn't remember most of the past year. My friends kept writing down the answers to the questions that I kept asking while we waited in the hospital, and eventually filled up both sides of an 8.5x11 sheet of paper. They say I just read both sides over and over, for hours, because by the time I got to it again, I had forgotten it. Apparently, I got super excited every time I heard that I had a DSL line at home. (This was before DSL was common.)
  • Just finished a 11 hour cooking session, the product, 55 delicious x-mas tamales (and not the shitty corn husk wrapped things you seem to think are tamales). Pictures of said morsels of deliciousness will be uploaded during the week :).
  • I got my dad to watch Gurren Lagann with me. So far we're only two episodes in, and he already enjoys it. He's a bit frustrated because he's not used to subtitles, but he likes the show enough to bear with it.
  • Apparently, I got super excited every time I heard that I had a DSL line at home. (This was before DSL was common.)
    That's hilarious!

Nuri, I'm sorry that I must tell you this, but we need to operate on your brain, however, first a question. What do you think about the Volkswagen Beetle?
  • @Omnom

That is adorable. Where did you find it?