This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Things of your day

Comments

• Statistically speaking, it's very unlikely for them to be equally important, no matter how you choose to measure importance.
    I suppose, but I would never tell a scientist in any of those fields that his work was less important than that of a scientist in one of the others. It all helps further our understanding of how this world works, after all.
  • Browser based FreeCiv Productivity in my office is going down like 50%.
  • Last Friday, I was at Borders to get the most recent volume of Ouran High School Host Club. As I was walking to the manga section, there was a young teenage girl sitting next to the manga just reading manga with a pile of other shojo next to her.

She seems me grab Ouran. I see that she was reading a shojo that I was reading as well. I make the comment, "That's a pretty good series. However, it's a bit too dramatic for me at times. If you want a really good romance/relationship manga, get Kare Kano. It is really good because it goes beyond the puppy-dog love of relationships and shows the complications and hardships of them. And it's not only with the main characters, but with the side characters as well."

She replies, "Thanks. I'll give that a go. Yeah, I normally don't get into dramatic shojo. I'm more of a happy/funny shojo reader."

"Me too! There are so many good ones."

As I was about to name off a few titles she says, "Yeah, I really enjoy Hana Kimi!"

At this point, I had an inner-Squee of excitement. I then give her a high-five because of my love of Hana-Kimi. We then have a further discussion and recommendations of manga. It was really enjoyable talking to a young girl about shojo manga.
  • Shojou fans of the world, unite.?
  • Getting an email saying that my application for the website I want to write for was accepted, and then getting an email from someone from one of my favorite bands saying she wants to interview me about Healthy Animal.

Best day ever.
  • I then give her a high-five because of my love of Hana-Kimi.
    I just opened up my old shojo manga box for the first time in years after the move. Got hooked reading the Japanese edition of HanaKimi. Nakatsu still makes me laugh and laugh.
  • Snarl's TotD is my TotD.
  • Getting an email saying that my application for the website I want to write for was accepted, and then getting an email from someone from one of my favorite bands saying she wants to interview me about Healthy Animal.

Best day ever.
    Details?
  • Like Sail, I'm now writing for Artist Advocacy. I'll be writing some questions for an interview with David Grubbs, and I'll also be covering the Totally Nebular show this Saturday. Amanda from Pocahaunted, who also writes for Artist Advocacy, will be interviewing me.
  • I then give her a high-five because of my love of Hana-Kimi.
    I just opened up my old shojo manga box for the first time in years after the move. Got hooked reading the Japanese edition of HanaKimi. Nakatsu still makes me laugh and laugh.
    I loved the japanese live action version of Hana Kimi. The only character I could REALLY identify with was Nakatsu. He's such a happy go-lucky guy most of the time. My favorite part was his "I'm not a homo" dance. ^_^
  • Man Babies.Dear god.
    The second one on that page is absolutely horrifying.
  • I just opened up my old shojo manga box for the first time in years after the move. Got hooked reading the Japanese edition of HanaKimi. Nakatsu still makes me laugh and laugh.
    Yeah, I enjoy rereading that series as well. It's currently on loan to a friend. It makes me sad they never released the English translation for chapter 145, however it is available on One Manga.
    I loved the japanese live action version of Hana Kimi. The only character I could REALLY identify with was Nakatsu. He's such a happy go-lucky guy most of the time. My favorite part was his "I'm not a homo" dance. ^_^
    I knew about the live action for a while. I might have to give it a shot. I never really got into live action renditions of manga, but I'll have to look for this one.
  • Snake Rattle n Roll
    A game I had for NES that I played incessantly as stress relief since childhood. It's a game about snakes who are trying to get to the moon and are battling against a giant disembodied foot. You move up to the moon by eating nibbley pibbleys and gaining weight until you can set off the scale, open the door, and move on to the next level.
    It doesn't make any sense whatsoever, but it's glorious.
  • Snake Rattle n Roll
    A game I had for NES that I played incessantly as stress relief since childhood. It's a game about snakes who are trying to get to the moon and are battling against a giant disembodied foot. You move up to the moon by eating nibbley pibbleys and gaining weight until you can set off the scale, open the door, and move on to the next level.
    It doesn't make any sense whatsoever, but it's glorious.
    We had that game too. It was a lot of fun.
  • Brainstem Serotonergic Deficiency in Sudden Infant Death Syndrome
    Any new insight into the causes of SIDS is really fantastic.
  • Brainstem Serotonergic Deficiency in Sudden Infant Death Syndrome
    Any new insight into the causes of SIDS is really fantastic.
    This is actually a very interesting result that explains certain empirical results found in the Finnish health care system. The observation that was made was that a change in instructions of how baby's should sleep (on their backs vs. on their tummy) resulted in a dramatic drop, by something like 70%, of SIDS. Now, SIDS is very rare in Finland but 1 in a thousand is less than 3 in a thousand. Anyway, the speculation is now that the serotonin deficiency leads to the baby not "realizing" when it should change position.
  • gator SIDS
    Now that'll give me serotonin deficiency for a couple of nights.
  • gator SIDS
    Now that'll give me serotonin deficiency for a couple of nights.
    I totally didn't make that connection when I posted that, but now I'm dying of laughter.
    Unfortunately, when I saw this a few years back, the poster said that it was from a commercial or something. In any case, if that's gonna happen somewhere, it'd be Japan, where many (most?) people learn judo from the time they're really, really little. Reminds me of a travel guide for Thailand I saw that said something like "if you get into an altercation, don't try to solve it violently -- kickboxing is the national sport."
  • Thing of my day: My co-worker who is a woman in her sixties half-yelling into the phone "You want that in or out?" repeatedly.
  • While it's not that commonly practised, pretty much every kid at least has access to some form martial art from a young age.
  • edited February 2010
    Die Antwoord, the best/worst of Cape Town rap/hip-hop

Post edited by MrRoboto on
  • edited February 2010
    Die Antwoord, the best/worst of Cape Town rap/hip-hop
    I distilled it for you:
    Post edited by Funfetus on
  • Die Antwoord, the best/worst of Cape Town rap/hip-hop
    I distilled it for you:
    You have to admit their production value is really high.