This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Things of your day

Comments

• edited August 2008
    It could be a dog with a myostatin genetic defect, much likeBelgian Bluestrain of cows.
    It is indeed a dog with a myostatin defect. It's common enough in whippets that they have a name for it -- it's called a bully whippet. If you do a google image search for myostatin, you see some hilarious stuff. For those who don't know, myostatin is a protein that inhibits muscle growth -- when something goes wrong with a body's ability to produce it, or its ability to absorb it, this dog is what happens.
    Post edited by Funfetus on
  • My friends Matt, still making awesome music. The new track, Unicorn Attack, is super.
  • A Japanese computer business magazine called "ASCII" wants to use this image of mine in an upcoming magazine article on Google street view.
  • A Japanese computer business magazine called "ASCII" wants to usethisimage of mine in an upcoming magazine article on Google street view.
    I get Flickr mails like that every once in awhile. I usually just tell people to obey the Creative Commons that is already in place. Sometimes, though, they have an automated system of giving permission, so I click the yes button.
    edited August 2008
    Post edited by ... on
  • Shark surfing. May have been posted here before.
    If that's real, and not fake, I have a new hero.
  • My thing of the day is located at the MySpace page of some (presumably) French Canadian types who perform disingenuously-twee cover versions. (They sound like skiffle to me, but what do I know?)

Not fussed about most of their efforts, but Pump Up The Jam is where the party's at.
  • I just spent the past few hours building this:

I didn't realize how much I missed LEGOs. ^___^
  • So today I got the phoenix manga by Osamu Tezuka for the ds. Although I can't read Japanese, I just downloaded it to see what it was like. I think the way they put the format of the manga on the ds was pretty good, they would have 2 pages of the manga spread out across the touch screen, and you can actually touch each image panel and it would appear enlarged on the top screen. I think that this is a good idea putting manga on a portable format. i can't really find any images, but it should be somewhere around on the internet. It's pretty neat.
    Is it supposed to be something other than a generic fort?
    If that's real, and not fake, I have a new hero.
    It is from a website called Illegal Advertising, so I think you better keep searching for a new hero.
  • edited August 2008
    I just spent the past few hours building this:
    Not really, no. I was thinking of building Frank Lloyd Wright's Falling Water with LEGOs, but I didn't feel like going after the resources so I just winged it.
    Post edited by Walker on
  • Now they'd have to get coffee somehow.
    Not really, no. I was thinking of building Frank Lloyd Wright'sFalling Waterwith LEGOs, but I didn't feel like going after the resources so I just winged it.
    Damn it. I want my Legos back.
  • edited August 2008
    7 Gaming cons to go to before you die

I agree with all of them except Blizcon, never like that one in my opinion. However the MAGfest entry is definitely a good one.
    Post edited by Coldguy on
  • 7 Gaming cons to go to before you die

I agree with all of them except Blizcon, never like that one in my opinion. However the MAGfest entry is definitely a good one.
    I've been to one of those... twice. And I agree about Blizcon. If that's on there they should put Quake-con on there, they are basically the same thing, just different companies.
  • edited August 2008
    I was never a Monkees fan, but I've always loved Harry Nilsson's "The Point!" and I had never realized before that there was a stage musical version of it produced in the late 70s starring Davy Jones and Mickey Dolenz. I found a download of the original cast recording of that musical today, plus this interesting bit of 70s television made to promote it:

I about had a Nilsson-gasm from the both of those things. :D
    Post edited by Eryn on
  • edited August 2008
    [Start at the bottom and go up] "The Burnt Purity of Toast" I need to make an image to commemorate that phrase.
    Post edited by Omnutia on
  • [Start at the bottom and go up] "The Burnt Purity of Toast" I need to make an image to commemorate that phrase.
    What did I start! :P
  • edited August 2008
    [video]
    This video is not available in your country.
    Post edited by Anastius on
  • edited August 2008
    From the website of the newest Internet sensation:
    Are you tired of browser-based games that are thinly veiled interfaces for databases? Finally, there's a game that just is a database!

THRILL as you insert your very own row in the "rows" table!

With careful selection of SQL queries, you will soon have three or even four-digit numbers in some of the fields in your row! Other queries may allow you to use those numbers to subtract numbers from rows entered by other players -- all while pushing the numbers in your own row even higher!

As you master the game, you may find that you have inserted not just one row into the game, but several!
    mySQLgame

Come join me, I'm on shard 1 row 2946, together we can conquer the database (or not -- and say we did).
    Post edited by Dr. Timo on
  • Stop Motion Drumming

This is amazing. Also, make sure you watch it till you see the piano. It's worth it.

(I couldn't figure out how to embed this video, if anyone can, let me know and I'll edit this.)
  • His name is Lasse Gjertsen. I believe I read somewhere he can't play piano or drums. I have no source, so take that as you will.

His first video.
  • Lasse Gjertsen
    This is awesome.

• Same guy did this.