This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Things of your day

Comments

• A couple states like "compilation". There's a joke there but I havn't figured it out yet.
    I love that NH and Montana's words are "compilation." As in I don't care what it is I'm watching, I just want one category of something played in a succinct group.
    Might that be it?
  • It's a bidoof-OH! Oh no he's angry!
  • France likes hentai more than Japan does
    And New Zealand likes it even more than both of those.
  • what is up with that abc page? It's just randomly playing audio and I can't find where its coming from.
  • HIV cure found.
    Non-HuffPo link.
    Yeah, not a cure. Still have the virus, still potentially transmissible. They are simply asymptomatic and not getting worse. (The baby is in the same boat - she may have a long, healthy life, but she will still need to take precautions about spreading the disease.) I want to see them do research on viability of the virus once transmitted to another host to see if it starts reproducing again or stays dormant. That would, of course, be unethical.

• That would, of course, be unethical.
    Doing research is not, infecting others is. If they wait for an accidental infection, they can research all they want.
  • HIV cure found.
    Non-HuffPo link.
    I want to see them do research on viability of the virus once transmitted to another host to see if it starts reproducing again or stays dormant. That would, of course, be unethical.
    That didn't stop the MK-Ultra experiments, nor that bullshit they pulled in Nicaragua(?) for syphilis testing.
  • John Hodgman is really good at making Vine videos.
  • Which gives me an idea: Upload a 16:9 video rendered out to 16:10.

Proud to be a Humanist Atheist.
  • "because I think science can disprove god" is perhaps a little bit of an odd statement. Not all religions have gods. Also the "burden of proof" implies some kind of arrangement that doesn't make sense. Then saying "I have no reason to listen to you" na-na-na-na-na fingers in my ears running away...

Yo dog, I support your conclusion but I think your premises are a little unsound.
  • Theology is the opiate of the masses.
  • Theology is the opiate of the masses.
    Which isn't inherently a bad thing, as it numbs them to the pain of this world; but it does create dependence. Karl Marx was discussing curing the disease (IE create a Marxist society where workers aren't exploited) rather than needing a drug for the symptoms (IE organized religion), as back then opiates were widely used in his time as painkillers and such.

And creamsteak yeah its a bit childish I admit, but in debates the burden of proof is on whoever makes the statement, not on the opponent to disprove the statement.
  • Sorry if this I a double post. Signal is wonky here...

I'm in the room as my dad has minor surgery. It's a bit surreal. I don't want to breath for fear of infecting him. I also cannot help but feel as if this is a peek into my future.
  • Wrong thread much?

Anyway, best wishes for you and your dad.
  • It's a thing and its taken up half of my day. How is it not this thread? ;-)
  • edited March 2013
    NMA World Edition is still the best news channel.

Post edited by Churba on
  • edited March 2013
    "because I think science can disprove god" is perhaps a little bit of an odd statement. Not all religions have gods.
    That's the point. That statement is in the "this is not what I think" column.
    Also the "burden of proof" implies some kind of arrangement that doesn't make sense. Then saying "I have no reason to listen to you" na-na-na-na-na fingers in my ears running away...
    There is no precedent for conscious supernatural beings creating everything.
    Yo dog, I support your conclusion but I think your premises are a little unsound.
    That's the point.
    Post edited by Walker on

• Man, I am going to be savoring this in chunks for a while. I don't think I could watch this all in one sitting, but it's still awesome to see this kind of footage from that far back. The movies.com writeup describes it better than I can: "Keep in mind that setups for these films took far longer to compose than they do today, putting a lot of pressure on the actors to get things right the first time. It's still hilarious to watch the facade crack just a little."
  • "because I think science can disprove god" is perhaps a little bit of an odd statement. Not all religions have gods.
    That's the point. That statement is in the "this is not what I think" column.
    Also the "burden of proof" implies some kind of arrangement that doesn't make sense. Then saying "I have no reason to listen to you" na-na-na-na-na fingers in my ears running away...
    There is no precedent for conscious supernatural beings creating everything.
    That's the point.
    So the whole thing is supposed to be sarcastic, but it's someone elses thing of the day that doesn't get that?
  • I have gazed onto the face of terror.
  • Yesterday I got off for St Patricks Day, today was declared a snow day, and Friday is PAX. I'm facing a two day week right now.