This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Fashions You Like/Fashions You Don't Like

edited March 2008 in Everything Else
What sort of clothes do you like? What sort of clothes do you like to see other people wear?

I need to wear a suit every weekday except some Fridays, when I can wear a Blazer and Khakis. During the weekend, I usually wear Levis and a oxford cloth button-down collar shirt or a turtleneck. During the week, I wear Florsheim wingtips. On the weekend I wear Merrells, Bass Weejuns, Buck Oxfords, or Timberlands.

I usually have a "Meh" attitude about most women's clothes except for suits. I love to see women wearing a smart suit. Also, I love to see mohair sweaters, skirts, bobby socks, and saddle bucks. Sadly, the last time I saw a woman wearing such things was when I last saw Pleasantville. I can never watch that movie for the story because I can never stop focusing on Reese Witherspoon.

If I ever had the power to kill with a glance, many frat boys wearing dirty flip-flops would be in mortal danger.

Comments

• I usually were dark jeans which get a bit wider to the end, slip on vans (because they're the most comfortable shoes I've ever worn), a t-shirt, a shirt and, depending on the weather, my parka.

I really find people stupid who wear baggy which are basically hanging down to their knees. Same goes for the "cool gangsta rap" clothing which looks awful and costs a fortune.

I guess I too have a kind of "Meh" attitude towards women's clothing, but I love to see women (or more like girls at my age ^^) wearing skirts. I don't mean extremely short ones, as seen in many anime, but I guess about till their knees.
  • I'm not exactly in great shape, so I wouldn't be caught dead wearing spandex. Why do so many fat, dumpy people think they can wear spandex? Why do they wear warm-up suits? Everyone knows they're not on their way to the gym. Why do so many out-of-shape girls wear tops that expose their fat mid-riff?

And someone, please tell me why the stupid frat boys insist on wearing the scuzziest, crappiest looking shorts and flip-flops? I mean, if you're going to wear flip-flops, couldn't you at least wear a clean pair?
  • Because wearing that makes them look "different" and "cool". It seems to be the same mentality as dropping random indie band names during conversations, it makes you "special" and "cool".
  • edited March 2008
    For my normal work day, I'll take cues from the show "What Not to Wear". I'd wear a nice suit jacket over a shirt with a pair of slacks. That's for the winter. For the summer, I'll wear my graphic skirt with a nice top. I have three shoes for work and casual wear, a pair of ballet flats, mary janes, and ankle boots. All black leather.

During the weekend, I wear jeans and a tshirt, a pair of slacks and a blouse or a mix between the two.
    Post edited by Ametto on
  • And someone, please tell me why the stupid frat boys insist on wearing the scuzziest, crappiest looking shorts and flip-flops? I mean, if you're going to wear flip-flops, couldn't you at least wear a clean pair?
    If you're going to a party where spilling beer is the norm, you wouldn't want to wear your nice clothes.

• If I ever had the power to kill with a glance, many frat boys wearing dirty flip-flops would be in mortal danger.
    For me, replace frat boys with men who wear their pants hanging off their ass. I don't want to see your boxers! I don't want to see your ass crack! BUY A DAMN BELT AND WALK CORRECTLY! Funny thing is it originated in prison and is a sign of being "open for business".

Anyway, I mostly wear boot cut jeans. My style is mostly FRUiTS mixed with punk and sometimes with some Kogal style. Add a purple wig and blend!

My "Viga don't give a fuck" clothes are usually just geeky t shirts and plain jeans and the worst shoes you'll ever see.

For work I have to wear a polo and khaki's. There's nothing more I hate in fashion than khakis and polo shirts! I feel so uncomfortable and like a nerd.
  • edited March 2008
    I have three shoes for work . . .
    Work shoes for guys should either be wingtips or cap-toes. Young guys: please stop wearing those clunky square-toe monstrosities. They are ugly and they make you look like idiots.
    And someone, please tell me why the stupid frat boys insist on wearing the scuzziest, crappiest looking shorts and flip-flops? I mean, if you're going to wear flip-flops, couldn't you at least wear a clean pair?
    If you're going to a party where spilling beer is the norm, you wouldn't want to wear your nice clothes.
    Flip-flops cost maybe five dollars. They could buy a new pair. That's really all I'm asking at this point.
    Post edited by HungryJoe on
  • Work shoes for guys should either be wingtips or cap-toes. Young guys: please stop wearing those clunky square-toe monstrosities. They are ugly and they make you look like idiots.
    Also, what's with girls wearing shoes that are all pointy in front? Do you want people to think you are a witch?
  • Work shoes for guys should either be wingtips or cap-toes. Young guys: please stop wearing those clunky square-toe monstrosities. They are ugly and they make you look like idiots.
    Also, what's with girls wearing shoes that are all pointy in front? Do you want people to think you are a witch?
    I hate those pointy shoes! They remind me of Santa's elves.
  • edited March 2008
    For work I have to wear a polo and khaki's. There's nothing more I hate in fashion than khakis and polo shirts! I feel so uncomfortable and like a nerd.
    Are you talking about the mesh, round-collar, short sleeve deal often favored by the preppie types? I don't like those either. The fabric is itchy and the collars never lay right.
    Work shoes for guys should either be wingtips or cap-toes. Young guys: please stop wearing those clunky square-toe monstrosities. They are ugly and they make you look like idiots.
    I hate those pointy shoes! They remind me of Santa's elves.
    I too, question the extreme pointy toes. Also, what is up with the toe cleavage? That can't be comfortable.

In my world, only women would be able to wear sandals. Except possibly for Keens, those sandals that hide the hairy-ass hobbit looking tops of your stupid feets.
  • I prefer a nice blazer (either a traditional one or a slim-fitting, thin linen one) over a simple shirt (collar or no) with either khakis or classy jeans. I usually adorn my neck in some way, though not as often with a tie (always thin and black) as I would like. I wear black leather motorcycle boots almost every day, unless I'm wearing actual dress pants, in which case I wear whatever dress shoes I happen to own at the time.

Outside of work, I go the same route, only often with a Threadless shirt under the blazer.
  • edited March 2008

Are you talking about the mesh, round-collar, short sleeve deal often favored by the preppie types? I don't like those either. The fabric is itchy and the collars never lay right.
    YES!

I too, question the extreme pointy toes. Also, what is up with the toe cleavage? That can't be comfortable.
    I tried. They aren't. It felt like hell.

When it comes to guys in clothes, I love a guy in a fedora. It's so hot! I also like guys in jeans (not off their ass!) and cool tees with a cool jacket.
    Post edited by Viga on
  • For me, replace frat boys with men who wear their pants hanging off their ass. I don't want to see your boxers! I don't want to see your ass crack! BUY A DAMN BELT AND WALK CORRECTLY! Funny thing is it originated in prison and is a sign of being "open for business".
    I thought that trend start with Marky Mark.

For guys, I love suits and nice shoes. Wingtips and and pointed shoes are the best. Though I hate boat shoes, especially when they have the freakin' tassles on them.
  • Also, what's with girls wearing shoes that are all pointy in front? Do you want people to think you are a witch?
    Because most women think they are cute. I honestly don't own a pair. Not a big fan of wearing high heels, but I do have a few pair for certain outfits and occasions.

As for myself, my work environment is pretty casual, so I mostly wear boot cut jeans, khakis, or corduroys along with a polo shirt with a zip up sweater jacket. For shoes, I mostly wear tennis shoes. However, when the weather gets nicer, it's all about the flip flops.

At home, I'm all about wearing my yoga pants and my pj shirts that are thin and very comfy along with my fuzzy socks. My feet get cold all the time, so I have to have either socks on or my fuzzy slippers.

I used to dress up in business casual all the time, but I realized that half my coworkers don't really dress like that. What really matters is my productivity, so I pretty much dress casual and kick ass in making bills. If I want to eventually climb the corporate ladder, I'll probably change my work dress style.
  • edited March 2008
    Those kind of shoes are meant to make your foot and leg look longer and thus more graceful. If your feet ends in a squareish shape, like mine, it's nice to have it end like that. Also if you have shorter legs, it helps give that illusion of longer legs. Also, rounded shoes tend to have a more girly feel and pointed or square shoes have a more adult feel to me.
    Post edited by Ametto on
  • edited March 2008
    Those kind of shoes are meant to make your foot and leg look longer and thus more graceful. If your feet ends in a squareish shape, like mine, it's nice to have it end like that. Also if you have shorter legs, it helps give that illusion of longer legs. Also, rounded shoes tend to have a more girly feel and pointed or square shoes have a more adult feel to me.
    Well, I've seen shoes that are a little pointy and I've seen others that look like elf shoes. The ones that are just a little pointy may be okay, but the elf shoes have to go.

Also, what is the deal with the little rectangle Tina Fey-looking glasses everyone has been wearing for the past ten goddamn years? Am I the only one who's sick of those damn things? Bring back the round eyeglass frames!
  • It seems to be the same mentality as dropping random indie band names during conversations,
    God damn it's tempting to grab the Wikipedia page listing all Indie bands and just naming a few in this post. To see how fricking annoying it is, though I think I'd kill myself after that. Anyways, onwards!
    What sort of clothes do you like? What sort of clothes do you like to see other people wear?
    What I like, normal clothing, trousers, t-shirt, optional long sleeved sweater or so over that when it's cold. And of course my casual Clarks as footwear.

As for other people, wear normal clothes, all I'm asking for. For girls, also 'meh', though I don't have something specific really, so truly 'meh'. On the third hand, it also depends on the woman/girl in question. Overweight? DON'T FUCKING FLAUNT YOUR FAT! It's not sexy! EVER!
    Flip-flops cost maybe five dollars. They could buy a new pair. That's really all I'm asking at this point.
    Eh, just dump them under water for a few seconds, optionally dry them, and then put them on. But what do you want, if they're true frat boys they're drunk the majority of the day, or they sleep.
    please stop wearing those clunky square-toe monstrosities. They are ugly and they make you look like idiots.
    Word.
    I don't want to see your boxers! I don't want to see your ass crack!
    "Yes, I can see your Bjorn boxers. No, it's not a pleasant sight, why the fuck are you showing it off?" YES! Pull up those pants. They're supposed to be worn _over_ your underwear.

Perhaps rename this topic to "Clothing annoyances"?
    I wear point shoes sometimes for the reasons below (in no particular order):

1) I needed a pair of high-heel shoes in a particular color to match an outfit and they only had pointy toed shoes in that color;
    2)I think they look nice with particular outfits; and
    3) They make the foot, ankle, and calf look longer, leaner, and more shapely.
  • edited March 2008
    I wear point shoes sometimes for the reasons below (in no particular order):

1) I needed a pair of high-heel shoes in a particular color to match an outfit and they only had pointy toed shoes in that color;
    As I've said, there are pointy shoes and then there are POINTY shoes. Which do you have?
  • edited March 2008
    In response to the "square glasses" question, I wear them because they have a higher graphic quality than circular shaped glasses. They look more like an accessory than a tool. Mine also happen to be purple with a design in the sides, which make them nifty looking (in my opinion).

For mor general reasoning, a square frame suits most face shapes, which circular frames really do not.
    Post edited by Kate Monster on
  • I wear point shoes sometimes for the reasons below (in no particular order):

As I've said, there are pointy shoes and then there arePOINTYshoes. Which do you have?
    I have several that are pointy and one pair of booths that are POINTY (they were the only short brown ankle boots under 20 dollars that I could find at the time I purchased them - I have learned to like them.)
  • edited March 2008
    In response to the "square glasses" question, I wear them because they have a higher graphic quality circular shaped glasses. They look more like an accessory than a tool. Mine also happen to be purple with a design in the sides, which make them nifty looking (in my opinion).
    I'll bet square glasses are okay on you. They're okay on Tina Fey. But why must EVERYONE wear them?
  • edited March 2008
    For my work, the requirements are nice black pants and a white shirt, so this means I have a bunch of black dress pants and several types of white shirt, including standard blank T-shirts, nicer cut short-sleeve casual shirts, polo shirts, and button up short sleeve shirts. Basically, so long as the shirt is all white and doesn't have any words or pictures on it, I can wear it.

For my own choices in fashion, there are two sides. In normal, everyday life, I'm very casual, usually opting for good-looking jeans and either nicely cut short-sleeve shirts that follow my curves without being those tight "baby tees", 3/4-sleeve shirts with low necks, or geeky anime T-shirts. In the summer months, I may also opt for sleeveless button-ups and skirts.

I also, however, have a casual interest in lolita fashion, and at least once a month I get together with a local group of lolita enthusiasts and we all go out to have fun somewhere while dressed up. It's quite fun, and I take pleasure in the fact that it freaks a lot of squares. ;) I have four outfits to my name: one sweet, one classic, one inspired by Shinya from Dir en Grey, and one pirate-y. None of them are "brand," but I like it that way, because the place we all get our clothes from is pretty high quality for a fraction of the price that brand lolita usually is. I have another outfit from that place coming soon that's shirololi, consisting of a blouse and this skirt: http://www.fanplusfriend.com/servlet/the-189/Gothic-Lolita-cln--Corset-Waist/Detail
    Post edited by Eryn on
  • Do any of you wear undershirts under dress shirts? If so, why? I've always found it very bothersome.
  • I tend to wear black or blue jeans, t-shirts, t-shirts with long sleeve t-shirts underneath, or t-shirts with a button-down-the-front shirt over it, and a jacket.
    Do any of you wear undershirts under dress shirts? If so, why? I've always found it very bothersome.
    Never have. But I rarely wear dress shirts.
  • Do any of you wear undershirts under dress shirts? If so, why? I've always found it very bothersome.
    I wear camisoles. They are very comfortable.
  • I haven't worn an undershirt since I was in elementary school.
    I did till I was ten or eleven or so.
  • I'm with Scott, I really don't give a shit about fashion. 90% of the time I just wear jeans and a t shirt. During the summer, I get a bit wacky, though...and outdated. Basically, I have cargo shorts in every color of the rainbow (minus green and purple), and that's about all I wear during the summer.

For girls, I really do like to see it when they're wearing jeans a tshirt. Preferably a bit tight...but whatever.

Things I hate- crocs, uggs, everything in this article....seriously, the shirts that look like maternity dresses- fucking retarded. Girls need to stop wearing those ASAP. Oh, also, the sweaters that are like half sweaters...yeah, those are fucking stupid, too.
  • I'm with Scott, I really don't give a shit about fashion.
    Things I hate- crocs, uggs,everything in this article....seriously, the shirts that look like maternity dresses- fucking retarded. Girls need to stop wearing those ASAP. Oh, also, the sweaters that are like half sweaters...yeah, those are fucking stupid, too.
    I don't think I need to say anything, other than that your first statement seems to have been contradicted by your second.