This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Fashions You Like/Fashions You Don't Like

Comments

• edited March 2008
    Provided I'm not bumming it (which happens when you have 8 am classes,) I like to go with the jeans + shirt + fitted suit jacket combination. Really, it just can't go wrong; it can be either business casual or super-geeky with little modification. I dig.

One thing I do not like to do, however, is to show my legs. Women's shorts are only above the knee, and so you will never see me wearing them unless I'm hiking. Ugh. There's just no way to make shorts look good. Skirts at the knee or calf are awesome, however, and can be worn with a variety of shirts and awesome shoes. Because they tend to be looser, they're a great way to be comfortable, tasteful, and formal/classy at the same time. Woo!

I really like alternative fashion. Any time I see someone dressed out of the ordinary "I'm a white bread American from the suburbs!" mold, I love it. Bring on the weird! Metropolitan trendiness, alt rocker style, punk, goths, gothic lolita, ethnic clothing, men in industrial kilts, you name it, it's awesome. On my more adventurous days I'll get more metal or geeky, or will approach what one of my friends has termed "goth-lite." Sometimes I just have to whip out either the knee boots, striped stockings, lolita-ish skirt, rad black hat, or skeleton hoodie. To me, people are much more attractive when they have something unique or individual about their appearance going on (part of why I really dig long hair on guys,) and I guess I apply this to how I dress, too. Anime cons are a great excuse to wear whatever in the flying flip I want to. :)

I feel sorry that men don't have as many options or styles open to them as women do, and that most of those styles are really, well, lame. Men's shoes, too, can be just downright UGLY. Pay attention to what you wear, fellows! You needn't spend tons of money or be obsessed with cool, just aware of grooming and aesthetics. Ladies really appreciate a sharply-dressed mister.
    Post edited by Johannes Uglyfred II on
  • I wear a t-shirt and shorts. Every day.

• I really like alternative fashion. Any time I see someone dressed out of the ordinary "I'm a white bread American from the suburbs!" mold, I love it. Bring on the weird! Metropolitan trendiness, alt rocker style, punk, goths, gothic lolita, ethnic clothing, men in industrial kilts, you name it, it's awesome. On my more adventurous days I'll get more metal or geeky, or will approach what one of my friends has termed "goth-lite." Sometimes I just have to whip out either the knee boots, striped stockings, lolita-ish skirt, rad black hat, or skeleton hoodie. To me, people are much more attractive when they have something unique or individual about their appearance going on (part of why I really dig long hair on guys,) and I guess I apply this to how I dress, too. Anime cons are a great excuse to wear whatever in the flying flip I want to. :)

FUCK YEAH!
  • Men's shoes, too, can be just downright UGLY. Pay attention to what you wear, fellows!
    A lot of my friends, along with myself, solely wear Chucks. It's usually the safest choice for guys shoes.
  • I like the look of most hats, but I've never really liked wearing hats. Except for that one, I guess. Otherwise, I like the idea of hats; I just don't like covering up my own head like that.

Alternative fashion is great, in principle, but it's really easy to become just another trend-follower. There's nothing wrong with being part of a trend, but a lot of people just try way too hard.

Seriously, I see too many popped collars in a given day.
  • edited March 2008
    I don't think I need to say anything, other than that your first statement seems to have been contradicted by your second.
    Well, let me rephrase that, then. I don't give a shit about MY fashion and how I look. And even then, I do care a little bit. If I purely didn't care, I'd be wearing a white undershirt and sweatpants daily. I do care if other people dress stupidly, though (popped colors, saggy pants, etc).
    A bit hypocritical? Yes....but that's how I am with fashion.
    Do any of you wear undershirts under dress shirts? If so, why? I've always found it very bothersome.
    Everyone at my school does (we have a dress code). I don't unless it's roughly 20 degrees or less outside, otherwise I just get really hot and uncomfortable.
    For those who detest Crocs, have you ever tried wearing them? They are pretty damn comfortable. I only have a black pair that I wear once in a while.
    Yeah, I've worn em (my mom and my sister both have 1-2 pairs each), and yeah, they are comfortable. I just won't get them because:
    1. not only do they look bad on women, they look even worse on men.
    2. they are made with cheap material and would likely fall apart when put through the conditions I put some of my shoes through...
    3. I can get (more or less) better shoes for as much or cheaper
    Can anyone explain the reasoning behind wearing a blazer as casual wear? Like with a t-shirt and jeans?
    If you can pull it off right, you can look like a total badass wearing one. A few of my friends wear them...and yeah, some look sweet, while some look like morons who tried to slap together a hip outfit.
    A lot of my friends, along with myself, solely wear Chucks. It's usually the safest choice for guys shoes.
    Personally, I always associate Chucks with "I'm trying to wear the emo trends". Maybe it's just the area I live in (northern Ohio), but if you wear Chucks around here, you're usually trying to be emo.
    Shoes are actually one thing that I do care about with my fashion. I have 4 pairs of shoes at the moment:
    1. A pair of cheap white reeboks, for being super comfortable and for playing basketball.
    2. A pair of airwalks mainly for DDR, but they also look a lot cooler than the reeboks.
    3. a pair of flip flops, for summer...unless I'm going out to play DDR, then it's the airwalks
    4. a pair of dress shoes for school and fancy events
    Post edited by Dkong on
  • edited March 2008
    Personally, I always associate Chucks with "I'm trying to wear the emo trends". Maybe it's just the area I live in (northern Ohio), but if you wear Chucks around here, you're usually trying to be emo.
    In South Florida there is no such association, at least not one that I've encountered. But, then again, these are the types of Chucks I wear.
    Post edited by whatever on
  • Personally, I always associate Chucks with "I'm trying to wear the emo trends". Maybe it's just the area I live in (northern Ohio), but if you wear Chucks around here, you're usually trying to be emo.
    In South Florida there is no such association, at least not one that I've encountered. But, then again,theseare the types of Chucks I wear.
    Doesn't anyone wear Chuck Taylor's for basketball anymore?
  • edited March 2008
    In South Florida there is no such association, at least not one that I've encountered. But, then again,theseare the types of Chucks I wear.
    Doesn't anyone wear Chuck Taylor's for basketball anymore?
    *Laughs* It's all geeks and Hot Topickers now!

Down here Chucks was a huge trend at one point and then went away. Now only geeks and Hot Topickers wear them. It's not associated with emo but it's a safe choice of shoe.
    Post edited by Viga on
  • Doesn't anyone wear Chuck Taylor's for basketball anymore?
    No. Nobody has for a long time. Nike, Adidas, Reebok. That's about it.
  • My fashion tends to be like this:

Big boots, long ragged skirts, black clothing, plaid, leather jackets, ear cuffs, Harajuku punk-poser clothes, leg-warmers, silver jewelry, blue hair, long black coats, hats with ears, fingerless gloves, sarongs, shawls, school uniform-ish stuff (white blouse and short skirt, baggy sweater), flip-flops, Engrish T-shirts, Dragon Hoodie, warm scarves, knit skirts or one piece dresses.

Basically my clothing choices tend to be large pieces of cloth draped over each other. I buy a lot of stuff at the Indian Imports store and I like linen hippie dresses. Up until my later teenage years I was super anti-skirt, but my dirty little secret is despite how I rail against "feminine" fashions, I really really like how mini-skirts look. I have a large collection of plaid skirts and am glad I am still young enough to get away with wearing them. I like clothing that makes girls look slender in the hips and thighs and makes their feet and ankles look big. I have big feet already so when I wear my clomping boots, it looks like that. Also, I walk like a dude, even when I am wearing skirts. I like very full skirts for this reason. If I wear narrow skirts, then they get ripped up the kick pleat in the back because I take large strides. I don't know how many times I've don't that and had to mend a skirt. I like when my clothes are comfortable and don't restrict my movement.

Another dirty little secret is that I am a sucker for Indie-boy fashion. When I see the college boys with thrift store blazer, quirky tee-shirt, tight jeans, and a scarf I am like "Kakkoiiiii!" I like when boys wear jewelry, but I also like the ripped up jeans+muscle tee kind of "I don't care, it's summer" look. I like young guys in suits. It's hard to pin down. I don't really like the 80's fashions that have been making a comeback. Basically, wear things that are comfortable and don't look like they hurt and whether it is trendy or not, as long as it is aesthetically pleasing to me, I don't care about "fashion." And pointy toe shoes suck! And high heels as well!

(I will post the Emi Paper Doll sometime tonight)
  • I am also into the lolita fashion. Lolita love! Most of my closet is classic lolita and I have a bit of sweet lolita. My favorite skirt is by Alice and the Pirates. It's basically the bottom half ofthis.

Which lolita group are you part of? I'm part of the Nova lolitas on LJ.

I love that skirt from Fan Plus Friend.
    That is a really nice skirt. :o My pirate-y outfit is this one here:
    With coat: http://www.fanplusfriend.com/c2/CT00022_10.jpg
    Without coat: http://www.fanplusfriend.com/c2/TP00019_03.jpg

And I'm just part of the local lolita group, Calgary Lolita. We all gathered together thanks to one girl, who actually has a side business distributing lolita clothing under her own brand name, with F+F as the main source of her stock (though, all the footwear she sells comes from a different place). She goes around to a lot of the area cons both selling stuff and organizing lolita fashion shows. There's also another girl who makes her own, pretty high quality lolita clothing, and she sometimes sells that too.
  • (I will post the Emi Paper Doll sometime tonight)
    As in a paper doll representation of Emily? God that sounds adorable. *looks up the adorable Shyguy origami on his PC*
  • I hate how all of the sorostitutes seem to be borrowing from 80s fashion lately. The leg warmers, spandex pants, big preggers shirts, giant ugly belts not worn on the pants like it should be, but around the waist instead, cum goggles (the giant sunglasses), etc. Even the colors are whack. And as for the pointy shoes, I always thought girls wear them just because they are popular. Maybe some actually like them, I think they're pretty ugly. Girls pretty much wear ugly clothes because other girls do. I myself have invested in ugly clothes, and was then disappointed when the trend changed and I had to get new ones. Now I just wear jeans and free t-shirts mostly. I used to think that trying to dress weird on purpose would defy the fashion world, but there are so many other people trying to do that, that we all look the same anyway. I don't think there is really a true way to be "different" in fashion. Maybe just ignoring it makes you different. Maybe we should just not care about being different and do what we want.
  • cum goggles
    That's an unpleasant image on many levels.
  • Ahhh, Tenchi, that pirate outfit is so pretty!
  • I've been seeing a lot of 70's style clothes returning and I don't think it's a trend I'll be part of. I do kinda like the more glamorous side to it, but on the other hand...ehhh.

Another trend I'm really not into is the lumberjack hats everyone has. Paired with hipster flannel; I just want to blare The Lumberjack Song at those who do it.

Leather jackets and boots, please don't go away.
  • Oooh, I got an awesome leather jacket recently. It's more like a leather car coat, though.
  • Oh god, I just read my old post in the thread. I changed a lot fashion wise!

Really, it's a blend of goth, punk, 90's, 80's, Harajuku, steampunk, mod, but more grown with a bit of a Vivenne or Betsy vibe. Lot's of black and white with yellows, purples, teals and silver. However, for goth clubs I got all out and at cons I wear the craziest on purpose.
  • I like suits, but it's hard to wear a suit jacket for any appreciable length of time that doesn't result in horrible underarm stench. I have this problem where deodorant only works about 50% of the time, and the other 50% of the time it just gives up. It kind of sucks, and it severely limits my wardrobe choices.

What I wear most of the time is not what I like to wear... it's just what's easy to wash and convenient for class: jeans and cotton shirts. For work, I like classy slacks or a skirt with some swish & flare, pumps or dress shoes with a slightly pointed but round-tipped toe, and a nice blouse that can hold its own or go under a blazer/suit jacket. I prefer a blouse with a bit of a scoop neck so I can wear some nice jewelry. That's the kind of outfit I like wearing the best, but certain elements, like the pants, can be higher-maintenance, which I avoid unless I need to look nice.
  • RymRym
    edited January 2011
    I rock the jacket every day at work, either business-professional level (matching suit/pant combo with a collared shirt) or geek chic (jacket, jeans, and a clever T).

Outside of work, it's kilt time.
    Post edited by Rym on
  • I dislike fashion. My hoodies are my guardians through the day. I look like I dress lazily, whereas I simply hate jeans, hate collars, and don't usually need to look professional. When I move into the work world, I expect this to change, but for now, I'm okay just living my life in a hoodie and sweatpants. Hooray for looking like a COMPLETE TOOL!
  • I dislike fashion. My hoodies are my guardians through the day. I look like I dress lazily, whereas I simply hate jeans, hate collars, and don't usually need to look professional. When I move into the work world, I expect this to change, but for now, I'm okay just living my life in a hoodie and shorts.
  • My winter attire consists of sweaters, jeans, either leather loafers or boots, and usually a leather jacket unless it's raining/snowing. It is a wonderful time of year.
  • Most of the time I follow the Timelord dress code :O
  • edited January 2011
    Casual: Geek chic with a touch of haute couture. Lots of sweaters (black and purple argyle!?), the occassional dress shirt.
    Formal: Tailored suit, lots of vivid colors and intense detailing on my shirts. Pocket scarves. Going to get a matching vest and tie soon, probably in green.
    Outerwear: Navy pea coat with a Black Lantern and Green Lantern pin (casual), awesome leather car coat (formal).
    Shoes: Merrill hiking shoes, soon getting Converse to temporarily rock with the suit, ala the Tenth Doctor, as well as a pair of Topsiders.
    I dislike fashion. My hoodies are my guardians through the day. I look like I dress lazily, whereas I simply hate jeans, hate collars, and don't usually need to look professional. When I move into the work world, I expect this to change, but for now, I'm okay just living my life in a hoodie and sweatpants. Hooray for looking like a COMPLETE TOOL!
    I think you'd be surprised if you went clothes shopping for yourself. Most guys say stuff like this until you put them into a men's store and allow them to choose their own clothing and develop a unique style.
    Post edited by WindUpBird on
  • I'm poor, and I hate denim and khaki material. There are things that I do in fact find cool-looking, but I hate actually wearing them as of the most recent times I've tried wearing jeans and denim and khaki and other non sweatshirt/sweatpants material.
  • edited January 2011
    Have you tried corduroy? It's not too far removed from sweatpants; my favorite cords are so soft it's unbelievable.

Also, hemp pants, if you can find them, are a kind of an inexpensive, thicker linen and look great. I'd try those, too, if you cross paths with them.
    Post edited by WindUpBird on
  • Outside of work, it's skirt time.
  • The temptation to go up to the students in my school who wear their jeans around their hips with their boxer shorts showing, and just pants them, is very high. I hate that fashion. I hated it in the 90's when it first appeared.