This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Fashions You Like/Fashions You Don't Like

Comments

• Dude, Axel, come hang out with me. I will improve your wardrobe and help you find things that look nice and you like. It's only part of my eventual job, and I'd love to have someone who's actually willing to work with me on this.
  • edited May 2011
    Oh God.
    Can they do me? My wardrobe sucks.
    That was... not the response I expected.
    A word of warning: his suggestions are going to be expensive, and he's going to make you lose the sweatpants forever.
    Post edited by Linkigi(Link-ee-jee) on
  • edited May 2011
    Oh God.
    A word of warning: his suggestions are going to be expensive, and he's going to make you lose the sweatpants forever.
    They give you $5k to spend on your new wardrobe. Also, sweatpants are awful.
    Post edited by WindUpBird on
  • edited May 2011
    Oh God.
    They give you $5k to spend on your new wardrobe. Also, sweatpants are awful.
    It's not actually What Not To Wear, it's just one or two of my fashion-conscious friends forcing me to get a haircut and new pants/shirts/etc.
    Post edited by Linkigi(Link-ee-jee) on
  • Still advisable. Also, thrift stores are your friends.
  • The haircut I wouldn't mind entirely, and I wouldn't actually buy new clothes, just enjoy receiving opinions on what kind of style I would work with.
    And I will never stop wearing sweatpants in the winter. They keep me warm.
    Dude, Axel, come hang out with me. I will improve your wardrobe and help you find things that look nice and you like. It's only part of my eventual job, and I'd love to have someone who's actually willing to work with me on this.
    Trust me, if I could hang out with you, I would. Seeing as how you're hundreds and hundreds and hundreds of miles away from me, it's not happening any time soon.
  • And I will never stop wearing sweatpants in the winter. They keep me warm.
    Smartwool base layers, dude. Soft like cotton, breathes like crazy, but warm like an oven in winter. Just wear them under jeans or slacks!
  • I don't like jeans or slacks.
  • What do you wear?
  • Sweatpants when it's too cold for shorts, and shorts otherwise.
  • edited May 2011
    Jesus, dude. I will write up some notes later.
  • edited May 2011
    When did this become a rip on overweight people thread? Fuck you.
    Im n ot ripping on overweight people either. I just said that an overweight girl who thinks her large breasts are sexy is wrong... They arnt sexy...
    One, your taste isn't the end all and be all for the rest of the world. Two, what does that have to do with fashion? Three, why were these comments focused solely on what women of various weights wear?
    Think about what you say and how you say it for a moment. People of any gender and any body type wearing clothes that aren't flattering to their body type is (wait for it...) unflattering. It somewhat goes without saying, and those that would bring it up sound like superficial, body fascist jerks.
    Post edited by Kate Monster on
  • edited May 2011
    Lesson the First. Fashion is barely important, if at all. Style is very important. The guy dressed in the latest fashion that is just following the fashion, even if it doesn't suit, will never look as good as the guy who looks like he's stepped out of a wild west gambling den with a long coat, vest, good pants, cowboy hat and good boots, as long as he dresses to suit himself.
    Post edited by Churba on
  • Jesus, dude. I will write up some notes later.
    Lesson the First. Fashion is barely important, if at all. Style is very important. The guy dressed in the latest fashion that is just following the fashion, even if it doesn't suit, will never look as good as the guy who looks like he's stepped out of a wild west gambling den with a long coat, vest, good pants, cowboy hat and good boots, as long as he dresses to suit himself.
    Truth.
  • edited May 2011
    When did this become a rip on overweight people thread? Fuck you.
    Im n ot ripping on overweight people either. I just said that an overweight girl who thinks her large breasts are sexy is wrong... They arnt sexy...
    One, your taste isn't the end all and be all for the rest of the world. Two, what does that have to do with fashion? Three, why were these comments focused solely on what women of various weights wear?
    Think about what you say and how you say it for a moment. People of any gender and any body type wearing clothes that aren't flattering to their body type is (wait for it...) unflattering. It somewhat goes without saying, and those that would bring it up sound like superficial, body fascist jerks.
    It was focused on women because it asked what I LIKE!!! BTW this thread is titled Fashions You Like/Fashions You Don't Like. Soo I stated what I like and dont like.....I really dont pay attention to what guys wear that much.. Mostly because I am not attracted to men... I don't think that anyone should dress in revealing clothing unless you have the body for it. I include myself in this catagory.

I used to do alot of drugs and was very skinny. Im 5'9 and used to weigh 145. I stoped doing doing drug and drinking on Nov 26 2009. I slowly have gained alot of weight. I am working on losing that weight. At my heaviest I weighed 225. I curently weigh 200. I can no longer wear the clothes I used to wear. I used to love wearing tight skinny jeans and tight shirts. I can no longer do this. Well.. I no longer choose to do this. I can still do it. But I do not do this because it is not attractive. Larger people need to realise they are not the same looking as skinny people. We need to dress differently and accept it. Its not a hard concept.

Also It has everything to do with fashion. It is not fashionable to dress unattractivly. NO ONE. I REPEAT NO ONE SHOULD DRESS in clothing that is not apropriate for their body type. And like I said before I do not pay attention to why men wear. So I talked about women. Also men have less revealing clothing in general the women. I will say it again.. Large women should not dress in revealing clothing. That means low cut shirts, belly shirts, tank tops and tight pants... IT IS GROSS!!!

OK now for the men. LARGE MEN!!! Do not wear tight pants or tight shirts or tank tops. IT IS GROSS!!!
    Post edited by KapitänTim on
  • edited May 2011
    Lesson the Second: Once you know your style, optimize for it, so it only takes ten minutes or less to be out the door looking great. I wear a lot of artistic tees and jeans with scarves and an army jacket. Looks pretty meh without a scarf and jacket, but with them I get looks. You can erase the meh by wearing a good pair of fitted jeans and a cool button-up shirt. I have some linen shirts I wear with cords or fitted jeans that I just roll up the sleeves on. Boom, I'm ready for any occasion from a rather nice dinner to ten hours of extended drinking.

To be succinct-- Lesson the Second: Looking good shouldn't take too long.
  • edited August 2011
    Considering the purchase of one of these. It's a jacket for every occasion! I really like the green one ("The Master") but a green blazer isn't as versatile as a black one.
  • edited August 2011
    Post edited by Viga on
  • I've started wearing a fedora every day. I've already acquired four - two light ones for the warm seasons and two darker ones for the cold ones.
  • Are they real fedoras or just trilby? (also, what is the plural of trilby?)
  • Are they real fedoras or just trilby? (also, what is the plural of trilby?)
    I assume Trillbys.
  • I don't like jeans or slacks.
    But you're small enough to rock really skinny jeans.....
  • edited August 2011
    Feel I should invest more in Japanese traditional clothing. Time to roll up next to those kilt wearing ponces in a real man's divided skirt.

Getting the right sizes might be problematic.

What would the collective noun for trillbys be?
    Post edited by Omnutia on
  • What would the collective noun for trillbys be?
    A shitload of trillbys.
  • Upon researching the difference between the two, it would appear that they are just trillbys.
  • edited June 2012
    I'm redoing my entire wardrobe due to weight loss. Whee, spending all sorts of money I can't really spend. So far, my mom got a really nice pair of raw selvedge jeans from Rogue Territory and a nice summer blazer for me as a homecoming gift. I picked up some fitted shirts at H&M (rocking v-necks). Next time, I'll only undergo huge weight loss when I'm in a financial position to do so...

Next purchases: Unbranded grey jeans, some more shirts, a pair of H&M's linen pants (awwww yeah, $20 linen), and some canvas sneakers.
  • I'm redoing my entire wardrobe due to weight loss. Whee, spending all sorts of money I can't really spend. So far, my mom got a really nice pair of raw selvedge jeans from Rogue Territory and a nice summer blazer for me as a homecoming gift. I picked up some fitted shirts at H&M (rocking v-necks). Next time, I'll only undergo huge weight loss when I'm in a financial position to do so...

Next purchases: Unbranded grey jeans, some more shirts, a pair of H&M's linen pants (awwww yeah, $20 linen), and some canvas sneakers.
    I know H&M isn't expensive, but it sounds like maybe you're more concerned with price and brand image than suitability to your body type and look...?
  • edited June 2012
    Not hardly, bro. That's really judgmental and presumptuous. I'm not even remotely sure how you'd gather that; you don't even know what I look like.

I mentioned H&M because their shit is quality and dirt cheap (I got a 100% linen shirt there for $30, and the linen pants are $20). Unbranded Jeans are $75 for raw selvedge denim when other companies charge $200+ for the same stuff. Neither of those two jean companies overdesign or brand conspicuously. Unbranded Jeans have no brand markings, and RTs have precisely two: the waist button (hidden by the belt), and the leather patch (hidden by my shirt). I really, really detest branding; I buy my clothes for quality and cut.

I'm 6'3" and around 190lbs, waist 34-36 depending. I just got back from a year in Europe, and I'm a college student on a budget. I know how to dress to kill, and I know how to get nice, understated clothes without breaking the bank. "Money I can't really spend" is because I lost 4" off my waist and lost a ton of weight all over. I have to replace almost everything I own, and get any stuff that's still wearable tailored. It's really important to me at this stage in my life to not be kicking around in baggy Old Navy boot cuts and t-shirts everyday, but replacing nearly all your clothing is expensive no matter where you're shopping.
  • Well I don't know the crowd here yet. A few sentence fragments made me think you were painting a different picture.

I first really got interested in how I looked after my first divorce. Before that, I couldn't have cared less. JC Penney was my best friend for a few years. Cheap, adequate, decent cuts.

Styles are different now, but I'm also older, have two kids, a wife, and don't really care if I look un-hip. :-)
  • Rym likes the H&M because they have skinny clothes and are relatively cheap, but a lot of their stuff looks kinda 80's for my taste. I like Uniqlo better, because their stuff is more simple.