This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Team Fortress 2

Comments

• It doesn't give them lives. They still take damage. The same damage. Does a message come up saying they are dead? No, just the model looks like it dies. Keep firing until the it either says they are dead, or for another 8 seconds.

Anyone going to be on the server in the next hour or so?
    A message comes up when they fake death die on their would-be killers screen, so step off. Our team will still be practicing TF2 every day around 4:00 PM, which was 21 minutes ago.
    Oh, I must have played on a server where it didn't do that, or something, because I didn't have the problem.
  • It doesn't give them lives. They still take damage. The same damage.
    I'm not arguing for or against the Dead RInger; it's just another tool. But I do feel the need to point out that it does not let the user take the same damage. It lets them take greatly lessened damage.
  • Sorry, there is no way to continue firing a sniper rifle once you headshot them, especially at long range. Dead ringer would be much better if it was single use like the razorback.
  • 2 on 2 sucks. Blasting scouts is fun, but I didn't know the maps at all so spent most of my time running in circles.
  • 2 on 2 sucks.
    I won't ever join the server anymore if I see fewer than 10 people there. My style of play is all about taking advantage of chaos.
  • Sorry, there is no way to continue firing a sniper rifle once you headshot them, especially at long range. Dead ringer would be much better if it was single use like the razorback.
    That doesn't make sense, that would mean every time the spy uses it they'd have to run back to the spawn. So if they are in the enemy base, they then have to go all the way back. This is fine for Snipers with the razerback since they are generally in the back and near the spawn anyway.
  • edited July 2011
    It doesn't give them lives. They still take damage. The same damage.
    I'm not arguing for or against the Dead RInger; it's just another tool. But I do feel the need to point out that it does not let the user take the same damage. It lets them take greatly lessened damage.
    Yeah, it's 90% damage reduction on the hit that appears to cause their death, and for the first 6.5 seconds. That's quite a lot of damage you can avoid.
    Post edited by lackofcheese on
  • Dog bless you, pubs who never check your backs. You make me so happy.
  • I think the main problem that people complain about with the Dead Ringer is that they simply don't know how to defend against it. To pick off a spy using it requires a lot of attention and communication among the entire team, and on public servers this is rather rare. However, if people would actually pass along the approximate position of the spies, particularly once they have identified it as a Dead Ringer, having one or two Pyros on the team can take care of the problem. This is because Pyros can easily reignite Dead Ringer spies once it has been activated and track them down. Plus, when there are spies running around, having Pyros is essential anyway.
  • Basically, people don't want to play pyro because they think (wrongly) that it's a no-skill class, then bitch when spies kick their asses.
  • Basically, people don't want to play pyro because they think (wrongly) that it's a no-skill class, then bitch when spies kick their asses.
    That is such a dumb argument (by the people, not by you Neito), it's not even funny. Pyro is not a no-skill class. Playing a good pyro is actually reeeeaaallly hard, because you have to know where to go when, and how to keep yourself alive effectively. Plus the timing of airblasts, and managing your loadout. Spychecking skill is also not often easy. Pyro's my most used class, and even I don't play it as well as I wish I did, because it is so easy to forget your position and just charge in head-first and just get killed off.
  • I do play Pyro because it's a no-skill class =P
  • I do play Pyro because it's a no-skill class =P
    Whhhhaaaatttt?
  • There's two ways to play Pyro: Well, and W+M1. A lot of people just do W+M1, rushing the enemies and stacking up a few assists while dying. Good pyros take side roads, come out of nowhere, hit and run, and use the airblast.

Your effectiveness as a pyro is directly proportional to your knowledge of the map's side routes and passageways.
  • edited July 2011
    I do play Pyro because it's a no-skill class =P
    Whhhhaaaatttt?
    Mostly joking. Hardly even tried the others, but found it easy doing well with Pyro. I'd add that the game is damn slow and thus requires significantly lesser amounts of skills than other FPS games as a whole.
    Post edited by Aria on
  • So playing on a Spanish speaking server with prepubescent kids is quite entertaining when you listen to them on all speak. They also weren't that very good.
  • edited July 2011
    My problems with the Dead Ringer are numerous: It protects you from insta-kills like backstabs and headshots, extinguishes burning, allows you to tank up to 1849 HP worth of damage spread over 6.5 seconds including the initial hit and survive, recharges 80% faster than the regular watch (generally the downsides listed in-game are greater than the upsides, not in this case) and ALSO GAINS CLOAK FROM PICKING UP AMMO BOXES AND WEAPONS AS IF ALL THE PREVIOUS SHIT WASN'T GOOD ENOUGH YET. And then you can also go and use the Saharan Spy item set to have quieter decloaks, removing the one drawback (barely a drawback really if you stand just far enough because the sound range doesn't increase really) that the Dead Ringer has. At the very least, insta-kills should still insta-kill, watch out or not.
    Post edited by Not nine on
  • ALSO GAINS CLOAK FROM PICKING UP AMMO BOXES AND WEAPONS AS IF ALL THE PREVIOUS SHIT WASN'T GOOD ENOUGH YET.
    All of them do that.
  • The Cloak and Dagger doesn't.
    True shit - regular cloak and dead ringer do, but cloak and dagger recharges as long as you're standing still and not underwater. I don't recall if dead ringer lets you cloak longer by picking up an ammo box in mid cloak, though, but I suspect it does.
  • edited July 2011
    All of them do that.
    NOPE.jpg. As you've already been told.
    I don't recall if dead ringer lets you cloak longer by picking up an ammo box in mid cloak, though, but I suspect it does.
    It does. After the 6.5 seconds the 90% damage soak stops though and then it's essentially a regular cloak. I'm unaware if the drainrate increase disappears as well with the soak, but probably not.
    Post edited by Not nine on
    True shit - regular cloak and dead ringer do, but cloak and dagger recharges as long as you're standing still and not underwater. I don't recall if dead ringer lets you cloak longer by picking up an ammo box in mid cloak, though, but I suspect it does.
    It does, but after 6.5 seconds it starts to behave like a normal cloak - no damage reduction and you can be revealed.
  • It does, but after 6.5 seconds it starts to behave like a normal cloak - no damage reduction and you can be revealed.
    Ah, I thought so, but I wasn't going to say so firmly till I actually knew.
  • Also, the DR gets severely reduced gain for ammo boxes, weapon pickups, and dispensers.
  • Also, the DR gets severely reduced gain for ammo boxes, weapon pickups, and dispensers.
    Which doesn't help it being more sane though.
  • Basically, the DR is why you put some fucking pyros on your team.
    Still doesn't help since a good DR spy can get out of range from flames and away safely after getting hit initially. After which they backstab the pyro and go to town.